Did JWs use you to get their time in?

by truthseeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This has happened to me on more than one occasion. A JW suddenly notices you at the hall and asks to work with you. This continues for a while and then you are dropped. Reason? They just wanted to get their time in.

I once auxiliary pioneered for a month and took two weeks off work. A brother in my hall who was about my age suddenly took an interest in me and became my pioneer buddy - he would pick me up and drop me off. We'd spend about 2-3 hours out in service. We'd also visit the elderly, housebound sisters and drop the meeting tapes off on the way - easy time.

What really bothered me is that he would talk among his friends out in service about various social gatherings, with me standing there feeling like a lemon, and not once was I ever invited. When I stopped pioneering, he never asked to work with me again.

I've also seen pioneers use Bible studies to get their time in. They would take a study to Bethel and on the way ask him or her questions about the truth to keep their time going.

• blondie
    blondie

My mother did when we were young and unbaptized.

• asilentone
    asilentone

one day, when I was a very weak JW, I went out to do the preaching work with an elder little bit older than me and he was talking to the other guy in the car group, he asked the other guy if he would like to go to the ball game with him, but I was not invited.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Nothing was ever said to actually confirm that this was being done to me, although there were the passing jokes ("well, I suppose I can start my time now that I've said 'Jehovah' in front of you), but I always had the suspicion and it always pissed me off.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Of course..

I told my mom everytime she showed up with WBT$ magazines..

Not to bring her religion to my house..

It was the same dam conversation for 20 years..

I have no doubt she counted time..Being told to keep her Goofy Religion away from me..

LOL!!..

................................ ...OUTLAW

• awildflower
    awildflower

My daughter who never got baptized was "studying" with the young 16 year old pioneer who was her friend. It was a way for them to spend time together and help the young girl get her time in. But here's the kicker. One day she came by the house knowing we weren't home and left a note and a tract in the door for my daughter! We went to all the meetings, went in FS all the time, were a very active jw family. My daughter asked me why she did that and I told her because if your driving around all day and need to get in more time, as long as you go to your bible studies house and leave a note and some literature you can count it as time and a return visit! She even left literature!! We HAVE all the freakin' literature! It blew me away. I stopped the studied and got onto the 16 year old for that little stunt. Just goes to show you they have no personal attachment or feelings for their BS's, it's just about numbers. It was sad to my daughter to. Even during their studies my daughter would tell me how the girl would say stuff like, "oh let's talk for a few more minutes so I can get my time it". Made my daughter feel used

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

asilentone

one day, when I was a very weak JW, I went out to do the preaching work with an elder little bit older than me and he was talking to the other guy in the car group, he asked the other guy if he would like to go to the ball game with him, but I was not invited.

I can totally relate to that. In my case, they acted like I was invisible. It was embarassing to hear about their social life and not be able to join in. This was one of the factors that eventually led me out the truth.

It's like, we're good enough to work with but not good enough for anything else.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

awildflower

That's shocking and so typical of the JW mindset of "I have to get my time in".

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I remember using unbaptized publishers to get time when I was a young regular pioneer.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I've also seen pioneers use Bible studies to get their time in.

Boy, was I used by a pioneer couple. I was in the military when I first started studying. They would pick me up at the base and get a whole day out of me. I would go with these folks to the Saturday morning bookstudy and have me stay for a late breakfast afterward, then have my study. Afterwards, I was welcome to stay and watch a movie or accompany them on their errands before they took me back to the base. I confirmed much later (as I became an elder in that same cong.) that they traditionally counted every moment I was with them regardless of what we were doing. They took out the bookstudy time and counted the rest. If I was with them from 8AM to 4PM, take one hour out and you got 7 hours for two pioneers, so it's really 14 hours. That's pretty good for a one-hour study.

They were happy that I went to the meetings, but were actually upset that I figured out how to go to the literature counter for myself. They missed out on so many "placements" because I was getting stuff for myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit