Did JWs use you to get their time in?

by truthseeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

OnTheWayOut,

Thanks for sharing that experience - wow, that's a lot of time they counted. I've even heard dubs discuss strategies to maximize their hours - proof that saving lives is not the motivating factor for why they preach.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Its the Org's fault for placing so much emphasis on counting hours of time...more legalism that crushes love...

Loz x

• Glittercake
    Glittercake

Yes and when we forbade them (relatives) to preach to us, their visits greatly decreased. Their friends also started giving us the cold shoulder.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I used to live within 5 miles of my old Kingdom Hall. I kept getting visits from people who barely even mentioned anything about the Society after I quit going to meetings. It was always as they were on their way to or from field service. This went on for a couple of years after I'd stop going. Most of them didn't bother trying to "re"convert me, so it seemed fairly obvious what their motives were. Once, a car group of teenagers came over and actually admitted they were just there to keep their time going. Like I had nothing else to do.

IsaacJ

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

I used to have many biblical arguements with jw's once I started telling them they can't count time on me and to swear to Jehovah they will not count time talking with me. they get pissed and never want to talk again. works like a lucky charm

• Elgiard
    Elgiard

A couple times. When I was studying to be baptised a pioneer elder used me for time quite a bit. He did actually take an interest in me, and did other stuff with me too. I don't know how much of the other stuff got counted as time.

Also a new elder came to my congregation after I was quite clearly out. For a while he and his protoge kept coming to my house to talk to me, which I was okay with, because he was a nice guy and there was absolutely no way he was getting me back in, so I had nothing to lose by letting him talk. So then one day he comes with like four other guys and they're all standing around me on my porch and I felt really on the spot. So new elder starts talking about what a nice car I have, and he asks me if I'd take him for a ride in it some time if he needed a ride, and I was um, okay, I guess. So then he's like well why don't you give me a ride to the meeting this sunday. And I'm like wow, this guy is good, but not good enough.

So I go pick him up. He just lived like five minutes away, and I had to go to town anyway, so whatever. I'm wearing a tshirt and blue jeans, and he gets in the car and he's like I had hoped you were coming to the meeting with us, and I was like ha! No way am I wasting this gorgeous sunday morning at another meeting. So he makes small talk and when I get to the KH his protoge gets out leaving us alone, and he asks me straight up if I wanted to be associated with the org any longer, and I told him that I thought I had made it pretty plain by now that I did not. I then asked him what time he wanted me to come back and pick him up, and he said he'd find his own way home, and I'm thinking awesome! Neither he nor anyone else from there has ever come to bother me again. It's great.

• White Dove
    White Dove

It was the evening of the last day of the month when my mom came over in a rush and gathered my two small kids for an emergency study.

I was in at the time but thought her act was so stupid.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I doubt that they were solely interested in getting in time by having me waste both Thanksgiving and Christmas with them--the slimebag that dragged me into the cancer really wanted to totally run my life, as he had other people he was studying with at the time.

However, I have seen witlesses that knew I had to be in by noon try to keep me out until 2 or 3 PM, just so they could get more time out of me. They tried making me late for work by keeping me out in field circus until the very last minute, so they could get more time in for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit