June 2010 Awake! more duplicity.....

by Hobo Ken 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

I was up in my mum's house the other night (she and my father are still active JWs) and saw the June 2010 Awake!. As I browsed through it I came to watching the world. As I read the article on the "baby mammoth" I noticed that there seemed to be some important information missing, as well as some good old Watchtower selective quoting.

Bear in mind that devout Witnesses would never question the organisation or suspect that an article could be misleading them far less go and research the information to check it's authenticity.

The article mentions the age of the animal at time of death (3 to 4 months) and the fact that it was well preservedin the ice and that it's airways and digestive systems were clogged with silt.

Right at the end of the article they say that the "scientists were lead to believe" the animal "must have drowned"

Here is a link to the article they have pulled the information from bild.com and another site similar info

To quickly highlight some things from the article

1.It mentions the ice age which causes Witnesses a big problem.

2. the baby mammoth has been incased in ice for 40,000 years! another big problem.

3 The actual quote" After carrying out an autopsy on the animal in St. Petersburg laboratories, they found a thick layer of sand and clay in the mouth and trunk – the four-month-old mammoth must have drowned to death in mud."

The actual reason they have included this article in the Awake! is to help the reader along the way to believing this animal may have perished in the worldwide flood of Noah's day.

However this belief is undermined if they include the actual facts presented in the original article. Such as how could an animal have been in ice for 40,000 years when according to JW dogma there was a worldwide flood only 4000 years ago prior to which they allege there was a sub tropical world where there could not exist large Glaciers such as the one described?

That the writers of the Awake are trying to duplicitously fool their readers into believing that this creature could have died as a result of the "Biblical flood" is not in doubt as they finish the peice by saying that scientists believe the animal " must have drowned". This is clearly decieving the reader into believing the death occured in water. The original source material clearly states as quoted in bold what the scientists beleived caused the animal's death." the four-month-old mammoth must have drowned to death in mud."

All of this shows a basic dishonest approach to their work. The Awake is not alone in the publications of Jehovah's Witnesses when it comes to misquoting people and scholastic dishonesty.

My point is if the Governing Body allow this kind of thing and can't even be trusted with something so mundane then what about the Nwt of the Bible and what about their doctrines and their presentation of their past history?

I would not trust them to put a stamp on an envelope.

Matt.

• pirata
    pirata

Great find!

But if we apply some JW logic then it all makes sense: Evidently, mammoth's are just really hairy elephants, this one drowned in a mud-slide caused by all that rain, and the pre-noah vapor barrier in the sky threw the carbon dating off by 33,000 years.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Grrrr...this stuff just frosts me.

That is what I told my elder/PO brother when asked about the "organization." I told him I knew they were dishonest in the way they present their quotes to support their own theories. And that not including a bibliography and references is proof they don't want people to really know what the actual information is. But the internet will be the undoing of that.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Nice catch, Hobo. I read that little blurb too and my crap alert went off. Meant to research it because it smelled suspicious and you got to it first. Thanks! I'm both surprised and not surprised at the dishonesty you've uncovered. Surprised that they haven't learned a thing from the Creation book debacle, which did so much to drive "honest-hearted ones" away from this organization. Not surprised because it's so much part of the warp and woof of intellectual dishonesty and scholarly speciousness that makes them who they are...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That is very interesting. I would love a scan of the Awake piece if anyone has it.

I gave the public talk on the flood and used mammoths as proof of a global flood. When I came to realise the concept of a global flood was without question impossible, it was one of my first steps out of the grip of the WTS.

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

I don't even bother reading their publications. It would be such waste of time, but I'm glad some people do because it helps those with doubts!

They are not trustworthy! CONTROL AND POWER, that's the only thing they care about!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

My calculations were 7,000 years per "day". In the first day, God created the heavens and the earth. There have been 6 full "days" since then, and we are almost 6,000 years into the 7th "day". That comes to a figure of just under 48,000 years as the age of the earth, and that is what I was told. Which gave Jehovah enough time to freeze mammoths and use the dinosaurs to prepare the earth for human habitation.

Now, of course, that calculation is in fact totally wrong (there is no way the earth could cool enough to allow a stable crust in only 50,000 years). But, that is how they explained these things when I was going into the cancer.

• dinah
    dinah

Anytime they say "lead to believe" or "apparently" it means the bullshit is to follow. "Evidently" is another one.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Good job in spotting this. Thanks!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

TF: Common dont you have the watchtower mag in your bathroom and some pens :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit