These raids need to stop!!!

by Cagefighter 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Someone posted video of a raid in St. Louis last week were a dog was shot and killed with the homeowners kids there. This weekend a kid actually died... CNN reported that the homicide suspect the police were hunting was arrested in the apartment. Not true... he was arrested in the neighboring apartment upstairs. So now if your neighbors are being hunted by the police you can be raided to, we got to end this.. I say something in the .223 caliber would make the cops think twice about when they should pull a "no-knock" warrant....... There is a time and place for everything and this was not it!!!!

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/may2010/detr-m17.shtml

Detroit police kill seven-year-old child

By Jerry White
    17 May 2010

Detroit police shot and killed a seven-year-old girl during an early morning raid of a home on the city’s east side Sunday morning. The child, Aiyana Stanley Jones, was struck in the head and neck area while sleeping on a couch at the home on Lillibridge Street.

In a Sunday morning press conference Assistant Police Chief Ralph Godbee said police were executing a “no-knock” search warrant for a homicide suspect in the two-apartment home. He said the police—members of the heavily armed Special Response Team—threw a flash grenade through an unopened window around 12:45 a.m. before charging in with guns drawn.

Godbee claimed the policeman’s gun discharged after he “had some level of physical contact” with the girl’s 47-year-old grandmother, Mertilla Jones. The police were not categorizing the shooting as accidental yet, Godbee said, "although we don't believe the gun was discharged intentionally."

Charles Jones, father of the slain girl, said he rushed from a back bedroom to see his mother being pushed through the door and another police officer carrying his bleeding daughter from the house. “They came into my house with a flash grenade and a bullet," Jones told the Detroit News. "They say my mother (Mertilla Jones) resisted them, that she tried to take an officer's gun. My mother had never been in handcuffs in her life. They killed my baby and I want someone to tell the truth."

The young father added, “I want this story to be heard. This was a wrongful death."

Mertilla Jones, who was arrested at the scene and released Sunday, told the Detroit News, "They blew my granddaughter's brains out. They killed her right before my eyes. I seen the light go out of her eyes.” She denied police claims she had a physical confrontation with the cops, telling WXYZ-TV, “I never touched none of them. No one gave them any struggle. My grandbaby is gone. The Detroit police killed my granddaughter.”

Before the police broke in, a relative told police there were children inside and pointed to toys in the front yard. “‘There’s kids in the house,’ I said five times, ‘there are kids in the house,’” a relative told the TV station.

Jones and his relatives said the suspect was not even in the same apartment as Aiyana. Police raided the upstairs unit simultaneously and reportedly arrested a 34-year-old male.

"Based on our intelligence, we got a search warrant for the location,” Godbee said. "Because of the violent nature of the crime, we thought we were entering a potentially dangerous situation." Godbee said a full investigation would be conducted and expressed fear of public reaction, saying the police “might be the target of anger."

A spontaneous memorial was set up in front the eastside home, with friends, relatives and ordinary citizens leaving flowers and children’s balloons and toys to pay honor to the dead child and her family. A candlelight vigil was held Sunday night.

Class tensions in the city are reaching a breaking point. After decades of plant closings and mass layoffs, the Motor City has a real unemployment rate at the Depression-level of 50 percent. Hundreds of thousands of people face a daily struggle for survival, confronting utility shutoffs, evictions and foreclosures, while the city’s Democratic-run administration—led by millionaire businessman Mayor David Bing—is planning to shut off public services to entire working class neighborhoods deemed too poor to maintain.

A report on an apartment house fire in the poverty-stricken Detroit enclave of Highland Park on Sunday noted that many of those inhabiting the building were homeless “squatters,” including whole families. One resident said the local utility company DTE Energy had come out to disconnect the electrical service to the building, but “people threatened to shoot them if they did.”

Under these conditions, the Bing administration is using the police to crack down on the population. In recent weeks, opponents of police brutality have complained that the Detroit Police Department’s gang squad—known as the Mobile Strike Force—has been “terrorizing” neighborhoods, with complaints against the police rising more than 200 percent.

The Detroit police may have been particularly primed to use indiscriminate and overwhelming force on Sunday, due to a raid last month that left one cop dead and four others wounded.

The squad involved in the death of Aiyana Jones, the Special Response Team, was formed in 1987. It has been described by former members as a “highly trained anti-terrorist unity” and the “Marine Corps” of the Detroit police department.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Agreed.

Syl

• JeffT
    JeffT

This was posted on another board I visit:

Radley Balko | May 14, 2010

A reader who asks his name not be used writes about the drug raid video from Columbia, Missouri:

I am a US Army officer, currently serving in Afghanistan. My first thought on reading this story is this: Most American police SWAT teams probably have fewer restrictions on conducting forced entry raids than do US forces in Afghanistan.

For our troops over here to conduct any kind of forced entry, day or night, they have to meet one of two conditions: have a bad guy (or guys) inside actively shooting at them; or obtain permission from a 2-star general, who must be convinced by available intelligence (evidence) that the person or persons they're after is present at the location, and that it's too dangerous to try less coercive methods. The general can be pretty tough to convince, too. (I'm a staff liason, and one of my jobs is to present these briefings to obtain the required permission.)

Generally, our troops, including the special ops guys, use what we call "cordon and knock": they set up a perimeter around the target location to keep people from moving in or out,and then announce their presence and give the target an opportunity to surrender. In the majority of cases, even if the perimeter is established at night, the call out or knock on the gate doesn't happen until after the sun comes up.

Oh, and all of the bad guys we're going after are closely tied to killing and maiming people.

What might be amazing to American cops is that the vast majority of our targets surrender when called out.

I don't have a clear picture of the resources available to most police departments, but even so, I don't see any reason why they can't use similar methods.

I've heard similar accounts from other members of the military. A couple of years ago after I'd given a speech on this issue, a retired military officer and former instructor at West Point specifically asked me to stop using the term "militarization," because he thought comparing SWAT teams to the military reflected poorly on the military.

Back in 2007 I wrote a bit more on this:

There's a telling scene related to all of this in Evan Wright's terrific book Generation Kill. Wright was embedded with an elite U.S. Marine unit in Iraq. Throughout his time with the unit, Wright documents the extraordinary precautions the unit takes to avoid unnecessary civilian casualties, and the real heartbreak the soldiers feel when they do inadvertently kill a civilian. About 3/4 through the book, Wright explains how the full-time Marines were getting increasingly irritated with a reserve unit traveling with them. The reserve unit was mostly made up people who in their civilians lives were law enforcement, "from LAPD cops to DEA agents to air marshalls," and were acting like idiot renegades. Wright quotes a gunnery sargeant who traveled with the reserve unit:

"Some of the cops in Delta started doing this cowboy stuff. They put cattle horns on their Humvees. They'd roll into these hamlets, doing shows of force—kicking down doors, doing sweeps—just for the *** of it. There was this little clique of them. Their ringleader was this beat cop...He's like five feet tall, talks like Joe Friday and everybody calls him 'Napoleon.'"

The unit ends up firebombing a village of Iraqis who'd been helping the Marines with intelligence about insurgents and Iraqi troops. Yes, it's just an anecdote. But it's a telling one. It suggests that to say some of our domestic police units are getting increasing militaristic probably does a disservice to the military.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/14/more- ... n-the-mili

• AGuest
    AGuest

Most American police SWAT teams probably have fewer restrictions on conducting forced entry raids than do US forces in Afghanistan.

Funny, after an Oakland cop killed "Bambi's baby" recently, one of my co-workers (a reservist) said the same thing, dear (or deer) JeffT (peace to you!). Here's what my husband sent me... and I sent her:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=62772 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/05/BAGN1D9FV0.DTL Unfortunately, I just didn't have the heart to open either link. After my husband told me about the event, well, that was all I could take. Didn't need the full details. Peace... and hopin' "America" finally gets the message about some of its "trigger-happy-po-leeses"... A slave of Christ... who has beaten her sword into a plowshare... SA

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

There was a woman convicted her of shooting a police officer during a raid as he came in through the window. She rolled off the bed (was asleep with her Baby and drug dealer boyfriend ) and was on the floor below the window with a pistol when the police were storming through the front. She was probably pissed and shot the cop out of anger but it makes you think... Just because someone yells POLICE as they kick in your door doesn't mean you are the police. One of my best friends had a Dad that was a notorious drug and alcohol addict/conartist in these parts. He wouldn't hesitate to bang on a dealers or druggies house yelling police to get in and get dope or money. His arrest record verifies this and that's just the times someone called the police on him.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Guns.... Yeah, I'm sure using guns on the police will motivate them to use less deadly force when breaking into a suspect's location...

Getting shot at is the main reason the cops ARE trigger-happy and jumpy when they break down a door...

I would suggest a more effective method... LAWSUITS!!!

I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of $500,000 for the brutal killing of a family pet [long as it wasn't going after an officer's throat...] and at least 2 million $$$$ - if not more - for the loss of their daughter/granddaughter... Not that one can put a price on this poor child's death...

The more cities have to pay, pay, PAY, PAY for the deadly mistakes of over-enthusiastic or excessively nervous police officers, the more the cities' administrations will be forced to rein in trigger-happy law-enforcement tactics...

If these cops were wearing body armor, why were they so quick to shoot??? Can't Detroit afford body armor for their police force???

I am deeply saddened by these tragedies... Zid

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Body Armor does not protect you as the word "Armor" would imply.... I would liken it to relying on the "withdrawl" method for contreception. You don't want to get shot even with body armor on.. Most bad guys aren't polite enough to make sure they hit your vest...

As far as lawsuits... I dunno.. 500k is nothing. The war on drugs makes that in 5 minutes... I think enforcing the 2nd and 4th amendments simualtaneously would really make these swat officers think twice. If there wasn't officers willing to do the job there wouldn't be raids. Also I think 90% of these raids are going after guys that would surrender or could be apprehended otherwise. These SWAT teams try to justify their existence and budgets with these raids. Look if Bin Laden is next door or some guy is holding a kid hostage yes I want SWAT there... But do they need to be kicking down doors to get a pot smoker or even a crack dealer that they already have a mountain of evidence on? No way... get em on the street.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yeah... But I'd definitely like to see the families get large financial renumeration for their losses, all the same...

The comments by military authorities about the tactics of police departments was VERY telling - and eye-opening...

The attitudes of the police departments need a forceful "wake-up" call, that's for sure...

Maybe mandatory manslaughter charges??? With the prospect of the officer [who kills an unarmed civilian] being jailed with the very sort that he'd put in jail???

Maybe THAT would make the officers think twice...

Getting a CONVICTION on the manslaughter charges - and getting the judges to pass more than "parole" time - would be another obstacle...

But yes, something definitely needs to be done... Zid

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I live in the town this happened in. It was columbia, mo....there has been alot of uproar over this. Personally, I feel like this was totally uncalled for!! One of the pets shot was in a cage, with a child present. This is the newest changes here as a result!

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/11/burton-touts-restrictive-policy/

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

expressed fear of public reaction, saying the police “might be the target of anger."

What a stupid asshole thing to say.

This insinuates that the anger would be undeserved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit