Is It Wrong To Pretend??

by chron82 29 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    The scriptures will be useful when reasoning with my JW family.

Maybe...maybe not. More likely probably not. JWs are indoctrinated to believe the WT application/interpretation of scripture. That means even if you can show them from the Bible why it's okay to take a blood transfusion (and you can) they still will not accept that Biblical reasoning because it does not align with WT reasoning.

I know I can't live like this forever. But my hope is to last long enough to at least persuade my family to not cut me off completely.

There is no one certain way to deal with this situation. Each one is unique enough that what works for one person won't work for another. But this much usually holds true: nothing you say...no amount of evidence...no logic you use...is going to cause someone to give up something they want to believe. As long as they want to believe, they're going to believe. If and when the time comes that they themselves question, then you can reason with them.

The reason I say that is that if you're trying to fade away, slowly, little by little, become inactive, then voicing your doubts and questioning the WT doctrine openly with JW family and friends will only make you a target for elders who will want to keep the congregation clean of apostates. If you want to fade out, then discretion is the better part of valor. Don't say too much or let on too much. Loose lips sinks ships and all that...

As was pointed out already, pretending to be a JW is not being true to yourself...in the long run. It is a means to an end if you are looking to fade away entirely. I faded and disappeared. I have JW family and as long as I do, there will be some JWism in my life...but I don't pretend anymore. I'm out and no one gives me much shit about it anymore, except to be invited to Memorials and the occasional reminders that Armageddon is due anytime. I am talked about behind my back and I am seen as rebellious, weak and apostate. Whatever...sticks and stones...

There are pros and cons to speaking up and DAing/getting DFd or staying on the down low and slipping away. It all depends on our particular circumstance. I am one to try to never tell one what they should or shouldn't do in the situation because what worked for me might not work for you.

Though I faded, there are strong truths in what JWoods and Gregor said. Ultimately you will have to decide what is best for you and go with your plan.

My original post was in answer to the question "is it okay to pretend..." and I still say yes. You don't owe the WTS anything. If you have to lie and cheat in order to gain some freedom and sanity then yes, lie and cheat your way out of that cult. But I guess it can be asked, "are you pretending in order to fake them out, or fake yourself out?" If you're trying to fake yourself out, then you will be tormented and disappointed....not to mention never really free.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    My original post was in answer to the question "is it okay to pretend..." and I still say yes. You don't owe the WTS anything. If you have to lie and cheat in order to gain some freedom and sanity then yes, lie and cheat your way out of that cult. But I guess it can be asked, "are you pretending in order to fake them out, or fake yourself out?" If you're trying to fake yourself out, then you will be tormented and disappointed....not to mention never really free.

Undercover is right about not owing the WTS anything. Also about pretending temporarily.

Usually people who awaken from JW deception are very sensitive about being deceptive themselves - we just want to wash our hands of the lies and deceipts and be open and truthful. The JW system of things does not really accept that kind of honesty, so usually it is best to be pretty circumspect about what we say and do when family is still in it.

In the long run though, only a very small fraction of us have been able to pretend a belief in JW stuff when we do not believe it for any length of time...it is simply too ridiculous for an honest and intelligent person to do.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It's tough. The only way I can live with the situation is by occasional meeting attendance, no answering and no FS.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

this is a very tricky subject is it wrong to mislead others about religous ideas? If you know something is a lie is it wrong to go to a door and act like its the truth? to raise your hand at the meeting an lie? so as not to hurt your family if they found out would they sacrifice you for the sake of the org? History is full of people giving consent by not speaking out and because of that an evil flourishes. living with a clear conscience often requires sacrifice and you hurt yourself emotionally physically when you ignore its call. you have a big decision and its not easy its tough for all of us.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Is it normal to at some point just not even care about the consequences (DF, shunning) anymore and just be open about your feelings/new beliefs? I have used an alias when meeting exJWs at meetups, and when I have checked out a couple of churches because of the fear of having my name out there and setting myself up for judicial action. I feel like a double agent. Now I'm kind of to the point where I don't care and don't want to have to hide my identity like some kind of criminal.

• Terry
    Terry

If somebody pretended to be your friend...would you find that admirable?

If a spouse pretends to be faithful to preserve the marriage...is it something you'd recommend for a happy life together?

If you fake your smile, wear a toupee, feign dropping money in a blind man's cup and put fantasy numbers on your income tax--are you the sort of person we want our children to grow up to be?

OF COURSE NOT!

A bride doesn't want the rhinestone just because it looks like a diamond. Why? The diamond MEANS something.

Leather seats or fake plastic?

Real boobs or silicone?

Tasty grapes, apples and bananas or waxed fruit?

YOU SEE? Don't you know what you are really asking?

Truth isn't good enough for a court of law. No. It isn't. You have to raise your right hand and swear something MORE than to tell the truth.

You must swear to tell the TRUTH....the WHOLE truth....and NOTHING BUT the truth.

Why?

There are a million ways to fake it and fake anything doesn't mean diddly shit. Especially your own life.

Wake up.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"wear a toupee"

Terry why did you have to throw that in there? Just because you have a nice lush head of hair! Don't hate on the fake hair baby!

• yknot
    yknot

Undercover touched on this already but.....

I was raised in the 70s.

Theocratic Warfare/strategy was discussed weekly.

I was highly indoctrinated with this concept.

The Aid Book is at my Momma's......but here is the Insight's commentary....

*** it-2 p. 245 Lie ***
    While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it. Jesus Christ counseled: “Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open.” (Mt 7:6) That is why Jesus on certain occasions refrained from giving full information or direct answers to certain questions when doing so could have brought unnecessary harm. (Mt 15:1-6; 21:23-27; Joh 7:3-10) Evidently the course of Abraham, Isaac, Rahab, and Elisha in misdirecting or in withholding full facts from nonworshipers of Jehovah must be viewed in the same light.—Ge 12:10-19; chap 20; 26:1-10; Jos 2:1-6; Jas 2:25; 2Ki 6:11-23.

The WTS has not be appointed as it claims..... so it is not 'entitled' to know your reasons or lenghts you are willing to go to keep the peace.

Do yall attend the same Hall? In the same circuit?

• Terry
    Terry

"wear a toupee"

Terry why did you have to throw that in there? Just because you have a nice lush head of hair!

I'm sorry you flipped your wig over my comment!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"I'm sorry you flipped your wig over my comment!"

*groan* You old guys are so corny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit