I like the people in my Kingdom Hall!

by lavozsa 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• rnicole76
    rnicole76

I never had real friends in the congregation because it is all on religious belief that is shared with them. These people are more sincere than the congregations. They would stick with me no matter what personal decision i make. Once you make a decision that the WBTS said you cannot do, they will turn on you quickly. I never like going to the congregation get together because it is too awkward.

• pirata
    pirata

rnicole76, welcome!

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I know exactly what you mean about liking the people. Aside from the occasional odd job, most Witnesses are very good people. I imagine if I'd have grow up as a Mormon I'd probably feel the same way about them too. It was because of these lovely people that I overlooked a lot of my doubts and went along with things that seemed wrong. It wasnt until my young son was DF'd after going to the elders about a matter that things started becoming real. He went to them voluntarily and was repentant but they decided to DF him anyway because he had waited before telling them. A few months later he was Diagnosed with Cancer. My wife and I were left alone to go through his surgery and Chemo and a stint in the Isolation Ward. A few of his young friends came on the sly but none of the relatives were there for him. We sat through meetings where our son (bald from Chemo) was shunned by a building full of people he had known since childhood including Grandmother, aunts, uncles and cousins. When I told everybody at work about his diagnosis, they offered me their own sick leave so I could be there during his treatment ( i was new on the job) They asked me if we belonged to a Church where we could get support because this was key to surviving what was ahead of us. I lied and said yes and when they asked me what church, I side stepped the question not wanting to bring reproach on the organization. It was then that I realized that if I were to tell anyone the real situation that I was allowing to happen to my family, they'd have thought I was insane. My son is the kind of person any parent would be proud of and he would be welcome anywhere by anyone except at the place where he voluntarily chooses to go to worship God. All the good he had done his whole life and all the sacrafices he'd made up to that point were forgotten and he was kicked to the curb. We realized that if he didn't survive his cancer, we would be have to bury him alone. No funeral, no support because everyone we know is a Witness. I'm happy to report that he is a 2 year survivor but must be checked regularly for 5 years. He is reinstated but his Mom, siblings and I don't attend anymore. Ironically he does and according to the Society he probably shouldn't be having anything to do with us now ! We are in no man's land...we have no non witness friends or relatives and don't know how to fit in with the "world" we were raised not to be involved with.

• truthlover
    truthlover

I can relate -- nice folks all, but conditional-- the will start to look at you sideways if you slow down, I myself havent had a shephering call but was approached for a recent one -- told them I was busy, so guess I am in line for another hit.... will see how it goes and what the reason is but FS is not one of my things altho I dont miss too many mtgs and hang with folks who are "connected" and will step up if help for someone is needed

Its all in the game

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit