WT March 15, 2010 - Page 27

by St George of England 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mary
    Mary

another good point pirata. 'Evidently', us 'postates on JWN can read the scriptures with more ease than the 'Slabe' Class.

• pirata
    pirata

This was bugging me, so I looked at this a bit more. The account in Luke would seems to describe that Jesus ate the bread/wine for the passover with his disciples, then said that he's not going to eat/drink again, then gave out, but did not partake of, the bread/wine associated with his body/blood.

Luke 22:14-20 (NIV)

14 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. 15 And he said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God."

17 After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Not sure why Matthew/Mark omit these details found in Luke.

• pirata
    pirata

Any comments on the scripture in Luke? It seems to indicate that Jesus did NOT partake of the wine and bread (after all, why would he need to eat himself?)

• TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

(Mark

14:12-16)12 Now on the first day of unfermented cakes, when they customarily sacrificed the passover [victim], his disciples said to him: “Where do you want us to go and prepare for you to eat the passover?” 13 With that he sent forth two of his disciples and said to them: “Go into the city, and a man carrying an earthenware vessel of water will encounter YOU. Follow him, 14 and wherever he goes inside say to the householder, ‘The Teacher says: “Where is the guest room for me where I may eat the passover with my disciples?”’ 15 And he will show YOU a large upper room, furnished in preparation; and there prepare for us.” 16 So the disciples went out, and they entered the city and found it just as he said to them; and they prepared for the passover. (this was a covenant with he and them. He would have participated

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

So basically the whole ritual of Memorial is a revamped Passover. And if you don't drink the blood, then you ...what? don't get "passed over" when the slaughter starts?

• TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

evidenly the watchtower dont know what they'r saying

• nugget
    nugget

Does it matter? Jesus is no longer on the earth participating in a physical way so whether he did or did not eat the bread or wine is irrelevant. The more important question is if you are a person of faith should you participate and eat?

The watchtowers insistence on small irrelevancies and seeking to have an answer for everything does show their pharasee like tendencies.

• pirata
    pirata

TheLoveDoctor, Indeed that is how Mark presents it. Luke adds more details (or Luke got it wrong. Or Mark got it wrong...)

nugget, "Does it matter?" Could indeed be asked about most minor points in the Bible. But I do not see why, considering Luke's account, it is incorrect to say that Jesus did not partake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit