WT March 15, 2010 - Page 27

by St George of England 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• St George of England
    St George of England

This article to be studied in two weeks time, in paragraph 13, footnote says: "Jesus is the Mediator of that covenant, not a participant. As the Mediator, he evidently did not partake of the emblems."

(Note use of EVIDENTLY again!)

This seems very strange to me, especially as Mark 14:22-26 says:

22 And as they continued eating, he took a loaf, said a blessing, broke it and gave it to them, and said: “Take it, this means my body.” 23 And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, and they all drank out of it. 24 And he said to them: “This means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many. 25 Truly I say to YOU, I shall by no means drink anymore of the product of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.” 26 Finally, after singing praises, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Has anyone ever read of Jesus not partaking of the emblems? What would the disciples have thought?

George

(Had a bit of a problem with copy/paste & formatting here.

• moshe
    moshe

It was a Passover Seder! Of course Jesus would have eaten the food, that is what Jews do at Passover, eat the festive meal and celebrate their release as a slaves in Egypt. . It was later, much, much later that unknown writers of the Gospel accounts put their spin on that Passover Seder. Did Paul know anything about it? I don't think so. It appears that a non-Jew wrote that account, because their would have been NO Loaves of bread at Passover- just flat unleavened matzah, that crumbles when you break it.

• Honesty
    Honesty

They are teaching doctrines of demons.

When the hour came, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him. Then He said to them, “I have fervently desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”
    Luke 22:14-16

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

"evidently" Again putting their own ideas in and speculating on what may or may not have occurred or what it may or may not have meant. They have to pick everything to pieces to fit what they choose to believe. I agree with moshe - Jesus would have partaken.

In all the Watchtower Society's picking everything apart and interpreting the way they do, they lose sight of what Christianity is truly meant to be. They are not Chrisitan - they are Pharisees.

• St George of England
    St George of England

because their would have been NO Loaves of bread at Passover- just flat unleavened matzah, that crumbles when you break it.

The word LOAVES could be just a NWT mis-translation of course. KJV and Douay simply say BREAD which could be unleavened.

George

• logic
    logic

According to this crap the annointed should not partake either because the society says they

together with jesus make up the 'christ'. According to this only the great crowd should partake.

The society just doesm't know when to shup up. The idiots writing this stuff are just making

it up as they go. I started reading the old literature a few years ago and it is the same old

thing. They just write stuff for something to print.

I will give them credit for one thing , they are coming up with something new.

• designs
    designs

It could be a play on some anti Transubstantiation ie he did't eat himself. You have to go back to the Studies In The Scriptures by CTR to see the twist on the Memorial that took shape and their view of the Mediator. Actually you have to go back to John Calvin and his take on 'Election of the Elect' to really get a grasp on it.

I sat through a Service at a Church of Christ and had Saltine Crackers and Welch's Grape Juice needed Pate

• Chalam
    Chalam

"Jesus is the Mediator of that covenant, not a participant. As the Mediator, he evidently did not partake of the emblems."

Looks like they are trying to reinforce their doctrine for JWs not to partake as more and more JWs wake from their slumber and actually believe what Jesus says, not the WT.

John 6:53-55 (New International Version)

53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.

There is plenty of biblical evidence for Jesus eating and drinking along with the disciples.

Matthew 26:17 (New International Version)

The Lord's Supper
    17 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?"

Mark 14:14-15 (New International Version)

14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' 15 He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."

Luke 22:8 (New International Version)

8 Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover."

Luke 22:16 (New International Version)

16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God."

Jesus got baptised, even though He didn't need to, He lead by example. Why expect anything different on this occasion?

Blessings,

Stephen

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I remember them teaching that Jesus ate Passover supper together with the disciples. Then AfTER the passover meal He performed this new ritual ,after Judas had been excused . So he may not have eaten the bread or drank the wine when he introduced it as a new covenant .

At least that is how I remember it .

• White Dove
    White Dove

I didn't see where it said that he ate the bread and wine himself.

The passover was over when he instituted a new tradition.

He most certainly ate of the passover food, but when he dismissed his traitor and began a new ritual, it doesn't say he put anything into his mouth at that time.

Why would he? He'd be symbolically eating himself, wouldn't he?

Edit: Trouble Mind beat me to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit