Hospital Liasion Card

by Sighco 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• blondie
    blondie

I was addressing the following information which was posted above, not the card specifically. The highlighted info is under the HIPAA rules.

Before calling HLC obtain the following, if possible:

1. Patient's (family's) name and telephone

2. Patients (family's) congregation, PO's name, telephone

3. Adult, child and age

4. Baptized?

5. Good Standing?

6. How strong patient's determination to refuse blood?

7. Exact medical problem needing attention

8. Treatment used or proposed by doctors

9. Specifics on medical condition

10. Name(s) of doctors/hospitals involved

11. Hospital telephone

• Sighco
    Sighco

Good info Blondie.

W-Tower has no worries about breaking the law as long as it supports their cause, makes me sick to my stomach.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Both shocking and disturbing in the way they intervene into someones own personal health issues.

Backed by no less than a holy spirit full of lies and corruption.

What a slap to the face of humanity these guys are.

Men create the power of god and then they exploit it for themselves.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm confused about the HIPAA comment.

HIPAA applies only to entities who electronically bill health insurance claims. (Not elders.)

• blondie
    blondie

So, that must mean the doctors/nurses/etc. can reveal medical information of an individual jw to an elder who requests it since the elders are not an entity that electronically bills health insurance claims?

Then there must be other protections against the hospital revealing that information, not necessarily under HIPAA. The basic concept is that the elders are not legally entitled to that information.

You seem to know a lot about this and must know of other legal protections; perhaps you could share them.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/index.html

• rebel8
    rebel8

I really don't understand what you're talking about.

I don't see any evidence in the posts here that HIPAA is being violated (as the law only applies to healthcare providers and health insurers).

I only find evidence of a rubric for a discussion between a patient and his or her clergyman.

The back has 11 bullet points of information to ask the patient before calling the committee
  • cult classic
    cult classic

Not getting what the hipaa comment is intended for either. Hipaa laws do not apply to everyone only covered entities. Usually those in charge of your actual medical records as they pertain to billing/insurance purposes. Could be wrong. I've been wrong before..... lol

Anyway that is an interesting find Sighco

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

anyone that has any medical problem has the HIPAA right to make sure NO ONE knows anything about there "heath problem" if you alow the elders to know then it is no longer a Hipaa problem... but every JW has the right of HIPAA in the USE

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The question is whether clergy, who have received confidential medical information in their clerical capacity, have the same legal duty as medical professionals to protect its confidentiality. This ensures a patient can seek treatment for STDs, etc. without fear of their condition being revealed, so they will not forego treatment out of fear of scandal. If clergy are not included in the HIPPA act restrictions, they should be!

Sighco didn't mention any patient information being written on the card, only the phone numbers of the elders. That's probably not a HIPPA matter. But the answers to the questions do involve patient privacy, as Blondie said previously.

I'm surprised at one question that isn't there: "Do any relatives or next-of-kin oppose the no-blood policy?" I'll bet my name is written on the margins of some of those cards, noting my "opposer" and UBM status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit