The Wedding Talk-A Humiliation to Women

by WalkTall 25 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I believe that the reason for the emphasis on the wife's submission to her husband is systemic of the Borg's need for the submission of the R&F to the GB. The reason is simple, they ignore Eph. 5:25, which tells husbands to love their wives in the same way that Christ loved the church, up to and including giving His life for her. There is no display of Christ's love within the JWs (this is not surprising). They are only about subjection, not submission. Subjection is the abandonment of one's full freedom by force (submission is that same abandonment by choice as the result of love).

• andy5421
    andy5421

"My dad once gave a wedding talk and accidently referred to the bride as a heffer instead of a helper. It was quite memorable."

LOL. Man good luck living that one down...... of course I dunno maybe she was on the chunky side, Fruedian slip

• minimus
    minimus

you see, women have their place.

• blondie
  • thetrueone
    thetrueone

In the era of the ancient Israelites, woman were perceived to be very second class citizens with hardly any self assertive power or position in their society.

Men ruled the roost with the up most control over their wifes and children.

There are countless examples of disrespectful degradation of woman strewn throughout the bible.

Woman were not even allowed in the temples for worship and were perceived at times nothing more than chattel by men.

Today the JWS use these unjust social equalities to position men above their wifes.

In other words its a control freaks dream.

I'm astonished that in this day and age that woman cant see through this very ancient back wards social inequity.

Kind of reminds me the of TALI BAN of Afghanistan.

• dgp
    dgp

Wannabefree, yes, maybe they liked the talk. Did they know about not being allowed to marry out?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

What gets me is that they use the headship thing from Ephesians 6 to an extreme ...I even recall the elders tackling one of my unhappily married daughters for using a handbag that her husband objected to...however when the same husband was violent they neglected to focus on his not loving his wife and Christ loves the congregation....and thats where it all goes to pot..IMHO ...they abuse the Bible very definitely to suit their own agendas....

Loz x

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Yes Loz, this religion is very good at straining out the gnat, and gulping down the camel.

I personally find a couple things humiliating in the wedding ceremony period. I find that the notion of a woman being "given" in marriage by a father, or other male is degrading. I guess in times when people got married as teens, straight from daddy's house to the husbands, and the whole thing was more a financial transaction, it may have served some purpose. But for a grown woman, out on her own, doing her own thing, to have to be given away, is repugnant to me. Even when I was a JW, I felt like, if they were going to force me to take part in that foolishness in addition to that horridly long stupid wedding talk, I'll just get married on the beach on an island by a J.O.P.

I also don't like the fact that the guests do not stand when the bride comes out, is there some sort of "pagan" reason why they can't? Don't tell me, it's some kind of idolatry, right?

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better.

• rebel8
    rebel8

You're right--the wedding is one of the sickest things about the religion.

Why don't they stand up when the bride walks down the aisle?

• Violia
    Violia

I have been to weddings were the talk included discussion of the womans's menses and her cycles and how her husband she show understanding. Also the rendering of the martial due. ugh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit