Who calls the shots in the Watchtower?

by dgp 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• dgp
    dgp

Let's talk about power in the WT. We know that the Watchtower started as an all-American thing (or nearly all-American thing) but it isn't that anymore. Now the non-American brothers and sisters are the majority, and, unless I'm wrong, much of the growth is taking place in countries like Mexico, Brazil and others. But, when all is said and done, do the American brothers still call the shots? And, within the American brothers, do the White American Brothers still call the shots?

Just for the sake of clarification, I don't know the answer because I'm not a witness.

• asilentone
    asilentone

they have board of directors and the governing body, someone here can post a list of those gentlemen from somewhere.

• dgp
    dgp

Asilentone, you got me wrong, and probably others would get me wrong, too. I know the Governing Body is the apex. But my question is whether it's essentially the Americans that run the shop or not. How many Bethelites are non-Americans? How many guys in branch offices with real power are not Americans? That kind of thing.

I'm not talking about the formal organization chart, which would include Jehovah if he existed. I'm interested in the REAL organization chart. For example: in theory, branch office guys all have the same authority; in practice, I don't think that the top guy at the branch office in Mozambique has the same power as the "brother" in Germany. And then, I understand that all Governing Body members are equal, only some are more equal than others (thanks, George Orwell).

What I mean is, in real life, do Americans call the shots, whatever their formal position in the formal organization chart is?

• asilentone
    asilentone

They have branches all over the world. You can see the list of branches in some literatures, it is probably listed on the first page. It has been awhile since I took look at the magazines closely. Brooklyn is the headquarters, of course.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I have seen some black and white US bethel heavies.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Just my opinion, but....

An overseer at a branch that doesn't print literature doesn't have power outside of his own sphere of influence, he is really nothing to the Governing Body and the Headquarters people. Sure, they treat these guys nice, but mainly these guys kiss the asses of the Headquarters people.
    It doesn't matter where Bethelites are from, they don't run Bethel Headquarters. But the U.S. people are a shrinking force and each is just watching his own back for the knife to appear.

It is the Governing Body and lawyers and accountants and the writing dept. in New York State that calls all the shots. I think Britain used to be important. There is still some importance to people who make up various corporations around the world and in the U.S. but it doesn't carry so far as to influence the doctrine and changes.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I agree with OTWO its the GB and the lawyers and co who run the show...they've kept the focus on the GB always...and are accentuating it more than ever these days...they've made it impossible for anyone 'outside' that little New York club to take over control in any way...

Loz x

• jeovagood
    jeovagood

Since 1992 all rules regulations are cleared through lawyers lawyers run the show

Not HS but lawyers

• metatron
    metatron

Jaracz is called "The Boss" for a reason. His cold reptilian influence is felt in the Service Dept. and in the selection of corporate fascists as C.O.'s and D.O.'s. He may not control the lawyers or much day to day stuff but he has dominated the GB.

metatron

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't think the GB is as powerful as they appear in print.

It is the corporate attorneys (most of whom are indeed based in the USA) who wield the most real and significant power, followed by the guys who run the corporations. If the GB wants something done but the lawyers tell them it is going to cause legal troubles the Society doesn't want, then the GB will defer to the attorneys. If the guys who run the corporations want something done to make life easier or wealthier for the Society, the GB will defer to the corporate wishes whether they agree with the idea theologically or not.

I have asked this many times but it seems nobody knows the answer (therefore I can only speculate): what is the LEGAL relationship of the GB to the WTS corporations? Is there ANY? Or does the GB exist solely at the sufferance of the Society corps?

I suspect the GB has NO LEGAL connection and it was set up that way ostensibly for their own liability protection. What it REALLY means is the GB has no authority except that which the WTS presidents, boards of directors, and attorneys grants to them.

Does a Branch overseer in Africa or east Asia have any real power to do anything? Not really, unless there is translation and printing going on there. In that case he "may" be able to influence the tone of the literature, either increasing or reducing the amount of psychological thought-reform that goes into the phrasing. But he can't just make rulings that run counter to the Borg because they'll find out sooner or later and he'll be removed. He is only who he is due to "theocratic appointment" and can easily be reassigned to latrine duty.

Now on the local level, it is fairly easy for a small body of elders in a wilderness congregation to run things however they wish and just play nice during the times the C.O. visits. So a local CoBE with a total body of elders size of 3 or fewer may wield quite A LOT of authority at the local level and act fairly autonomously from the Borg most of the time, if he wishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit