Alone?

by chron82 28 Replies latest jw friends

• chron82
    chron82

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I'm on my way out of the only "society" I've known.

I was raised a witness and have been a ministerial servant for a while now. I recently notified the elder body that I will be stepping down and it will soon be official. My entire family is deeply involved with the organization. My hope is that I can fade away without being disfellowshipped so that they won't completely cut me off. It is hard for me, as it is for all others in this situation. The funny part is, as I was growing up.... most of my family weren't witnesses. Over the years, almost all of them have been baptized now. They are the sort of good intentioned / innocent people that will accept what they are told if given what seems to be a good explanation. Unfortunately, they are not the kind to question why... I am that person.

I've lived a few hours from the place I call home for a few years now. My journey of asking why has led me to the point of knowing with 100% certainty that this is in no way "the truth." My family will never hear me out. I once tried to explain the situation to my brother, who I would consider as my best friend, and he looked at me like I was satan. When I provided perfectly valid reasoning of why this isn't the truth, he just came back with the canned answers that we are fed constantly from one meeting to the next with no scriptual or logical proof to back it up. The rest of my family is just the same...

So that is where I stand. I am 28 years old. My family has no idea of where I am at mentally or emotionally. I have to pretend that I am something and somebody that I'm not. Is it worth it? I'm not sure... but for now, I don't feel like I have any other choice. I try to keep it together for my wife, since she is always leaning on me for strength and for answers... She too sees that this is not the truth that we always thought it was.

It's hard speaking to anyone else who hasn't been a witnees about this stuff, because they just look at you like you were stupid for being in some crazy cult or something. So I thought I would sign up on this forum, and just put it out there... It's nice having a group of people who've been where I'm at now. It's nice to say how I actually feel. It's a release if nothing else.....

OK. Thats the end of my rant. Hope to meet some of you soon.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

WELCOME!

Hang in there and keep questioning why.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Welcome, glad you have joined this wonderful group.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Welcome to the board!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome to JWN chron82!!

It's good to hear that your wife is on the same page.

Take your time. Read a lot here. Don't make any hasty moves.

om

• zoiks
    zoiks

Welcome to the forum!

You have a long, hard road ahead - especially when it comes to family. Don't expect it to be easy, but I promise you that it does get better...eventually. You are incredibly fortunate that your wife is on the same page, though.

I look forward to hearing more.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Welcome. The journey is worth it to be able to live an authentic life.

You said something that struck a personal chord with me because I have the same feelings about not being able to share who you really are mentally and emotionally with family. It's like wearing a mask when you're around them. The love is so conditional. Glad you're here.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Chris, you're embarking on a new life try to think of it like those people who left their homeland packed their bags got on a ship to a new country left their family culture language behind set off for a new world it was scary exciting challenging but they made it and it was ok.

• yknot
    yknot

Glad you have joined!

Good to see you are taking back your life!

If you haven't completed college yet...... it should be you next logical progression as a fader!

This is the perfect forum to exorcise WTS demons and hang-ups......

BTW you are 'normal'.......turns out that 63% of born or raised JWs leave the WTS officially (ie identify themselves as no longer JW)......and of that remaining 37% who hare still 'in' ......well the concsious class is growing everyday in everyway!

Proud of you for doing most of your exit (mentally) all by your lonesome..........that takes a lot of determination, a valuable trait in the 'real world'!

Hugs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit