need help with computer

by jaguarbass 19 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello: Last night I got a computer virus. After fighting with it for several hours. I installed a new to this computer

copy of windows xp.

Now I am back on line but my computer has no sound among other problems.

I know I have a sound card probably 2. But the computer does not recogonize it.

I dont know what the name of my sound card is.

the computer is about 8 years old.

It was custom built with an amd chip.

How do I get my sound card to work?

One of the other problems I find is that the computer does not recogonize my printer which is a canon pixma

and it doesnt recogonize my I- pod.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I need detailed instructions.

I'll be checking here periodically. I work midnights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AMD atholon 1700+

1.46 ghz 1.50gb ram

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Go to "My Computer" . Right mouse-clisk/manage. Click device manager.

Do you see any yellow alerts?

You'd need to resolve these.

Alternately, you could go to control panel/sounds and audio devices and click "place volume icon in task bar".

After doing this the right lower bar of your scree should have an icon for sound which you can open and see if you can play any audio, like a youtube video, for example.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

As far as your printer goes , have you tried reinstalling the software drivers that came with the printer,

if you do not have them anymore, you can most likely download them from Cannon's web site.

Also you should reinstall Itunes, then reconnect your Ipod via USB and see if it picks it up.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Sounds like you need to download the motherboard drivers from the manufacturer. Probably your USB ports are not working yet, that would explain your other trouble.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Time to buy a new computer...you won't regret it.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Thanks for the tips I will try them.

I have another computer thats only 2 years old a dual core. But I dont hook it to the internet

and it never has these problems.

A new computer would have problems also getting everything to work.

• besty
    besty

www.apple.com

sorry JB - someone was going to say it and this time its me....

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I cant play any sound. I could yesterday before I loaded a new copy of XP.

The operating system xp is not recogonizing my sound card.

How can I get it to recognize my sound card?

I am looking through a box of manuals to see what kind of mother board I have.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I have used a program called 'driverfetch' that searches your computer for hardware that needs new drivers, and it downloads them to your computer. Might help.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Apples very good.

More than I can afford.

With all the music programs I have it would be probaly over 5,000 to buy an apple computer

and get all the new programs and hardware.

Could be 8 to 10,000.

If I cant fix this I can get a new windows unit for under a thousand and I have the hardware and software

as long as I keep it xp which means I have to get it custom made which I always have.

Actually I have a new 2 year old computer a dual core it does everything but I dont put it on the net

because I dont want these problems.

I went with what ever it is that I have about 12 years ago because it was more common and popular.

I got the opposite of apple, windows.

computers are like women and mortor cycles sooner or latter they are all going to give you problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit