Feeling down

by tec 58 Replies latest social family

• tec
    tec

My son went to school today and apologized to the other boy for both losing his temper and for hurting him. He took responsibility all on his own, with no prodding from anyone - including me.

I am so proud of him!

What a great step into taking responsibility for his anger and his actions.

I know we have a long road ahead of us, but one must celebrate each victory as it comes!

Tammy

(Thanks for the comments on homeschooling, Hadit, and the book recommendation. I will add it to my growing list! Judge Dread, that is definitely worth considering. Thank you!)

• not a captive
  • Hadit
    Hadit

That's awesome - good for him! I'm glad you both had a better day. Yes - each victory deserves a celebration.

Take care

(you're welcome!)

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Tec... the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!

I am sorry to hear of your family's challenges. I will keep you in my prayers, of course. I would also like to offer some suggestions that may or may not be easy for you, depending on where you live, your time, and your, well, I'll just say it... your "status." You indicate that your son has issues with self-esteem. Often times that is the result of the individual feeling like the "lowest of the low." I tried to combat this with my kids a number of way, three of which I want to share with you:

1. I spent a LOT of time with them. Not superficial, okay-we're-in-the-same-room/car/house-what-more-do-you-want/need" time. It was one on one... or them and me... time. Nobody else ('cept maybe the ex, and I do say maybe). Saturday afternoons where usually theirs. I stayed abreast of my community's school district and Parks & Rec programs... and things going on at the JCs/colleges/universities... anything that was FREE... and took them to every one I could. Free theater, free symphony/concerts, free movies/film school presentations, etc. If it was free... we were there. Regardless of whether the ex came along or not (you can probably guess he didn't often). And I didn't take my girlfriends and their kids along (which the GFs often requested) because it was our time (me/kids) and I didn't want to mess with that. I planned stuff with the girlfriends and/or their kids other times (say, Sunday, after meeting).

I would also just show up at school and take one of them "to lunch." Nothing fancy - usually Subway or something like that. Or brought them lunch and "hung out," say, in the car. They loved that! I would tell my boss I needed the day/few hours, whatever, as I had a "personal" or "family" matter that required my attention. I LIKED my kids (still do!) and so would rather spend time with them with almost anyone else... and certainly than at my desk. So, I often used my personal/vacation/sick to spend a day/few hours with one or both of them. We "played [full-day] "hookey" on several occasions and I would take them to see that movie they wanted, rather than waiting until Saturday. Best seats, always!

2. I always took them to do some kind of something with/for someone who wasn't as well off as we were (and very early on, we were poor, really poor) or who needed help. If I volunteered at the KH for, well pretty much whatever - I volunteered for almost everything (though I was "supposed" to) - I also volunteered them. So, as JWs, we were always among the ones who visited the sick, elderly, etc., fixed meals, brought over groceries, joined the "cleaning" crew at the assemblies, etc. Did they always like it? Nope. But... I kept them so "busy" doing non-paid work that they didn't have time to reflect on what they weren't, didn't have, couldn't do, etc.. (and the time after Saturday field service was "theirs" so they didn't feel like they missed out/were deprived).

As a result, they both started working really young (girl at 12; boy at 14 - which wasn't a problem for me because I came from/spent my summers "down south" on my grandparent's farms... where everybody worked. Period. You picked everything: tomatoes, peaches, corn, cucumbers... tobacco - ewwwwwww!!). When they got older my son worked (and does still) kids, both at-risk inner city, and rural; my daughter worked in the children's ward of the local mental hospital for six months, which she says changed her life (she said once she realized what happened to the kids that came through that place, she would never take her life for granted again).

In other words, try to find/arrange situations where your son can help someone else because that will raise his self-esteem and give him a little character (the whole, "more happiness in giving" premise). Maybe he can tutor some elementary school kid(s), or help an elderly neighbor, teach some kid how to swim, whatever. The goal is to show him that no matter HOW bad he has it... someone else has it worse (to some extent).

3. Many times, I would discuss their day with them right when they went to bed, after which I would play soft, low-volume classical music for them to fall asleep by. They're not into that genre now, but both say it helped them unwind, shake off the day, and fall to sleep pretty quickly. They didn't have "bad" dreams and pretty much always woke up ready to go to school/field service. I did this because sometimes I was beat after MY day (or the ex had worked my nerves silly!), and just wanted all of us to relax. To this day, my daughter says that when she's out of sorts, she plays classical music to go to sleep.

I am not a psychologist, of course, by no means, dear one, but just a mom (hey, Kimmie! ). I know my tricks probably won't work for every kid and/or or in every case. But they did work for me. My kids had just as "stressful" a childhood as the next, trust me... but I did everything I could to "calm" it down some. And that's what I believed worked. I worked to be the calm in their lives... and the one who introduced them to calming situations. To this day they both thank me for it because they know how to "deal" with stress... how to stay calm... and joyful... and not let "life" get to them to the point they can't handle it or themselves.

I cannot take full credit, of course, because I DID pray about all of these things... and still do. I would ask and then listen to the "voice" that I now know is our Lord as to what to do. I knew that I would not just "know" how to be a mom by reading some book - kids are individuals, unique, as we all are. So, I asked for guidance and the one thing I ALWAYS heard... was to make them FEEL secure and peaceful, no matter what. Even if the situation wasn't. I didn't hide anything from them - I explained it, but in a way that let them know either that it was MY problem to fix, not theirs, or how they could resolve something going on with them. But I never yelled at them or raised my voice. I said what I had to say in the same voice I pretty much said everything else (that's why I get a little bent out of shape when someone accuses me of [yelling] at them... which doesn't happen often but ticks me off when it does. True, I might give someone what my daughter calls "a professional FU" (where you never lose your dignity - think Julia Sugarbaker with a cup of Suzanne Sugarbaker)... but I have never raised my voice or yelled at anyone in my life. My voice can't even do that.

And so that is my final piece of advice, which I probably don't need to give YOU: never... never... ever... yell at your kids. They don't deserve it. We don't like it when someone yells at us and it really is hypocritical to do such to others, even our own children, if we don't want it done to us. And hug them often. They really do like that - they just don't like to admit it.

And that's it. Long post, yeah, I know, but not as long as Dr. Spock's baby book - LOLOL!. Also, I think you know that's "me" by now. I have a soft place for kids in my heart and "out of the heart's abundance"... well, I very often pour out my heart... so what can I say. Except may JAH bless... you and your dear son... may His loving kindness and mercy... and the love and peace of His Son and Christ, the Holy One of Israel, my Lord... be upon you both.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• tec
    tec

Shelby - thanks for sharing your experiences and for your advice. I do number one okay with my kids, and it is often me and not my husband. Sometimes he does things just with them, and this summer is supposed to be a turning point... I hope so. Playing hooky is always fun, and we've done that a few times. I'm going to try and work in a couple of the lunches that you suggested. Something to make them feel special.

I have only just recently started to realize that number 2 would bring my boys a better sense of self-esteem. We put the boys in Scouts/Beavers this year, and the volunteer work that they did (where they actually got to see the results) surprised them both and made them happy. So I'm going to check on that and work which ones might be best for my son.

I would have had to start the classical music thing earlier (they'd both running screaming now if I offered to play something that wasn't rock, I think:) ) But we do try to read each night. Sometimes from the bible (which they both enjoy), but mostly some kids fantasy which they also both enjoy. That's our routine.

And so that is my final piece of advice, which I probably don't need to give YOU: never... never... ever... yell at your kids. They don't deserve it. We don't like it when someone yells at us and it really is hypocritical to do such to others, even our own children, if we don't want it done to us

You don't sound like you're yelling, even in your posts, Shelby. You sound like a kind and caring person.

But I have yelled at my boys.

Hitting and spanking were always out with me, but I never used to think anything about yelling. I'm not talking about screaming banshee, name-calling yelling, but definitely raising-my-voice-in-anger yelling. They don't respond of course; in fact they mostly just shut down, which is what I do if someone is yelling at me. I've done a lot of personal growth these past years, and found more peace in myself and through my faith than ever before. I understand that my children need that calm and peace in their lives, and they're only going to get that if I show it to them. I rarely ever raise my voice to them anymore, though I'm still working to improve that.

Hugs they get aplenty. They're not old enough yet to pretend not to like them. Or if they are, they just haven't done it yet.

I love the sincerity and the love that comes from your posts, long or not. Thank you, Shelby.

Tammy

• millions now living are dead
    millions now living are dead

Martial Arts - Learning how to fight so you don't have to.

Bullying will always exist, it just gets more subtle (we know that of course as JW's). You must face your enemies or else you will turn the aggression into oneself or another who is weaker.

Just my opinion.

Mil

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

My son went to school today and apologized to the other boy for both losing his temper and for hurting him. He took responsibility all on his own, with no prodding from anyone - including me.

really great

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hey Tammy - I was out of town and just catching up with you guys. Wanted you to know I cared. Seems like you've gotten great advice and support.

Cult Classic

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Hi Tammy, sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

I was never bullied as a kid, but my older sister was.

One day while walking back from school we were attacked by the school bully and luckly someone that was driving by stopped it, but I never forgot that moment in my life, ever.

I was 8 I think, and it changed my life and I promised to myself that no loved one of mine would ever go through that again, ever.

I started MA and have been doing MA since 1978, I was also a peackeeper in the Canadian Army and did security for a while, see a pattern?

Bullies, and I have met more than I care to recall, have one thing in common and that is lack of love or at least what THEY preceive as lack of love.

BUT there are always exceptions to any "rule" and smetimes kids become bullies so that they are NOT bullied, but then again, that is a lack of love also, isn't it?

You don't seem the type that doesn't show love :), so I know that it is not the lack of demontrabale love from you, it could be the lack of "love" from fellow classamtes and such.

Men tend to emulate a strong male figure in their life and soemtimes that may be the very bully that bullies them and they join up or become one themselves.

I know some bullies that were physically disciplined by parents and some that the parents never touched them, short of physical abuse I don't think spanking is an issue with "learned violence", but that is another debate.

Love is the most powerful force in the world and you have it and your child will be fine, as long as the problem is acknowledged (which you have done) and a REASON for it is found.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit