Feeling down

by tec 58 Replies latest social family

• nugget
    nugget

You are both going through a particularly tough time. Bullying is a tough break and can affect a person in very profound ways. No one wants to be a victim. It is not uncommon for victims to become bullies because they have experienced first hand how bullies get affirmation and esteem through intimidation of others.

Bullying also creates suppressed rage so the first thing is that your son is not irredeemable or abnormal for behaving the way he does. Bullying takes what you are and knocks it down brick by brick until you are left with nothing. He needs to rebuild himself again, to rediscover his pride and self esteem. He needs to find a way to control the rage and find ways of getting rid of frustration in safe ways all this you already know. Counselling is essential and you are right to say that you intend to treat it seriously and work at it properly. Does he have a skill or an interest that he can pursue and increase his ability or a sport he wants to take up? These are great at giving him something he can build on. Affirmations can be good too although they can be considered cheesy. If you start each day by telling him something about him that makes you proud or happy it sets him up in a positive mind set. If he dissappoints you then tell him that you are dissappointed but tell him you feel this way because you know he is so much better than that.

People say give a dog a bad name and shoot it to imply that things can be self fulfilling. If you are used to hearing negative things about yourself you will believe them and live down to them, the same is true about positive things.

You love your son and that is the best foundation on which to build. I hope he gets the breaks he needs he sounds like a great kid who is trying to deal with an adult sized problem.

• Mary
    Mary

Tammy, I'm so sorry to hear that your son is going through this. I remember only too well what it was like being bullied in school (because of being a JW). When you are still growing emotionally, it can be devastating to be picked on like that.

I'm glad to hear that you're getting your son counselling, as I think that's paramount in helping him. Another thing I would strongly suggest is that you try to figure out (or get him to figure out) what his talents and interests are and go from there. Is he artistic? Musically inclined? Does he show an ability for sports? Is he talented with computers? I believe everyone has a talent and if you can get him interested in something where he can do well, it could certainly help his self esteem. And I can also tell you from first hand experience, that regular exercise can help ease his anger.

Let your son know that "this too shall pass" and that in the years down the road, if he can apply himself now, he'll be a far greater success than those who are presently bullying him. One thing that I got a great deal of satisfaction out of, was when I was at my parents' place, and went to a local convenient store and saw my chief tormentor in school working behind the counter. She had been really rotten to me (not sure why she hated JWs so much), made fun of me every time I had to leave the classroom for something they were celebrating or having fun with. The one example that sticks out the most in my mind was in Grade 6. The class was having a Christmas Party and I of course, had to leave. I got my coat and boots on, walked outside and watched from there as all my classmates got to have fun decorating the Christmas tree, exchange gifts, eat all the treats everyone had brought in, with Christmas music playing. I stood there and felt so frigging alone in the world it wasn't even funny. Allison, the beotch, saw me out there, walked up to the window, showed me the cake she was eating, pointed her finger at me, started laughing and pulled the drape over the window. It was the worst feeling in the world and I never forgot it.

Anyway, my point is: at the time it just seemed like the bullying would go on forever and at that age, I can understand why some kids become suicidal. However, if you can keep them focused on making the most of themselves, then in a few years time when they're out of school the bullying will be a thing of the past. And I can also tell you that alot of bullies end up as absolute losers later on in life. Nothing was quite so sweet as when Allison, covered in tatooes and looking like a used up whore, asked me where I worked and I was able to tell her that I worked at a university. Ya....I admit, it felt good.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My son had martial arts classes for a couple of years when he was about age 11 to 13. It gave a lot of self confidence...and they teach respect. He never had to use it. Apparently word spread that he was good at it. No one ever messed with him.

Once, a couple of neighborhood kids egged our front door. He found out who did it, went to their house and confronted them...and made them clean up the mess they had made. Never raised a hand. By the time I got home from work it was all cleaned up. He became very good at resolving conflicts... a skill that has served him well. He is now a dad himself. (a two year old and another on the way)

Kids can be so cruel. Bullies are awful...but it's usually because they don't feel good about themselves either. It makes them feel better about themselves if they can make someone else feel bad.

He'll get through this. Counselling should help a lot.

I'm praying for him too.

Coffee

• tec
    tec

Thanks, Loz.

Jamieblowers - I had him in Martial arts for a while; but he just seemed so focused on his anger, and the rage was so clear on his face, that it scared me. Maybe I'll revisit that, perhaps talk to the counsellor about it. And thanks to all of you, I don't feel so alone in this fight at all.

Nugget - Thank you so much for your reassurances that my son is not behaving abnormally. Affirmations is a good piece of advice; he might think they're cheesy later, but right now, anything good will be helpful. He gets defensive when being told about the 'bad' things he does, but he was crying when I told him all the things that I love about him.

Mary - Your story paints such a sad and lonely picture. I'm glad you got your justification. We're trying to nail down his talents. Art, swimming, rock-climbing (strong hands and wrists). We're going to check these things out this summer. He does play guitar, and he joined Scouts earlier this year for some social interaction.

Coffee - Thanks for your prayers, and words of encouragement. Your son sounds like a great success story. I'll think about the MA. But its probably mostly about finding that one thing they're really good at, giving them the confidence that they need.

Thank you to everyone, again, for sharing your stories. My son is pleasantly surprised that people would even be talking about him, and sending encouragement and advice.

One day at a time.

Tammy

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Tammy - Sorry to hear you have been feeling down. This can happen at times but I hope you are feeling brighter now.

I like the new avatar but miss that little creature you had before. Do we call you 'flower' now?

• tec
    tec

Thanks, Gladiator- I'm feeling calmer and much more resolute, so that's a good thing.

You really miss my rabbit-eared/googly-eyed/elephant-nosed monster? That's sweet of you. But these are no mere flowers, my gladiatorial friend. These are LILIES.

My favorite, apparently :)

Tammy

• Quandry
    Quandry

I am sorry to hear of your son's troubles. I work in a school and see anger and bullying every day.

I like the comments about getting your son involved in soccer or another form of physical exertion that is a team activity. Maybe boy scouts would be something to look into, also.

Please also don't neglect his academic level. If he feels confidence here, it will help greatly. Read to him and with him. Many times kids are made fun of if they are below level academically. Look into all kinds of different books, nature magazines, etc. He needs to be well-rounded.

Also, travel if you can. He needs to get a broader view of the world, and away from just the neighborhood or school area, and maybe meet new people.There are also summer programs for kids you could look into. Some work at zoos, help endangered sea animals, etc.

Could you volunteer with him maybe at an animal shelter? He needs to do things to feel good about himself.

Will be thinking about you and your son, and wish for success.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I'm sorry your going through this Tec.

Nothing hurts more then seeing your child in pain.

It sounds like your taking a very positive action, I wish you the best.

• tec
    tec

Thanks Sphere and Quandry.

My son is extremely smart academically; though he told me that he tried to fail his math test because kids don't like other kids that are too smart. Got to nip that one quick!

He is involved in Scouts, and it has been a positive experience, but he still carries his issues with him. You're right about the volunteering though; we did a bottle drive. He was excited to be helping for one, and also happy that people gave so much. He groans when I bring up going to do something like that; but he is happy when he gets into it, knowing he's doing things to help other people. One of the reasons he gave last year for wanting to die was that he never did anything good for anyone, anyway.

I will look into summer work programs with some of the marine life we have here. He is allergic to animals otherwise.

All great suggestions! Thanks so much!

Tammy

• not a captive
    not a captive

Growing from boy to man is a perilous journey. I really feel for you both.

I have four sons ages 21 to 30. Bullying in every aspect has been felt or perpetrated in their midst. Their physical size is a factor, at least somewhat. The oldest son is 6'3", muscled up, and the weight of a butcher hog. He worked as a bouncer for several years. Clubs have reasons to hire big men--It is a deterent to some trouble. But my other sons are not so large--no clubs would look twice to hire them (Not that I want that!) They are more like my husband and myself. My youngest son is strong but not so heavy, not so tall. He is not going to get big. Everyone at one time or another has tried to bully them -- inschool and others when they were grown and had jobs.

The men get together and talk about fighting and respect. The ex-bouncer has some stories he tells of moments when he abused the power to dominate. In general they are not given to violence and fight only when attacked. But within the family there have been horrendous moments of bullying--each other. I think sometimes I have given birth to Cain and Abel. This is probably not the place to hang out all the dirty laundry even though anyone who has enough of it has a hard time hiding it. But we have survived each other and seem to have come to peace after so many years.

Ask me what I think is the main issue? I think is is rooted in knowing and holding to a sense of intrinsic honor.

Some of my family men have skewed ideas on what honor consists of. They say because I am a woman I don't understand. I think I do understand from the flip-side of a man's honor: They used to view my honor as only the reflected honor of a very honor-conscious husband. My dignity did not belong to me unless my husband chose to give it. And he did not always give it. These kind of disonances in a family are damaging. Children love their parents. My husband is a facinating, hard-working,intriguing and protective person. He is an uneven family man. He moved to the old farm away from the remaining children and me over ten years ago and saw nothing unusual about his living arrangement. I have had a few of my kids go into counseling.( I'm sure my mothering was impeccable) But one thing I am certain of, when we each find the core of our honor it must be something that cannot be robbed nor robed by any one else's actions. We own our power and our worth. And it doesn't matter how big we are or whether we are a man or a woman.

Maybe your son would enjoy these 8 cardinal attributes that a great scientist used to teach along with his chemistry classes. George Washinton Carver was black, born a slave and was orphaned. He was a sickly child who didn't walk until he was 4 years old. He knew about bullying and racism. But he gave his help generously to the world--black and white. He taught as these principles to his students:

1. Be clean inside and out.

2. Neither look up to the rich nor down on the poor.

3. Lose, if need be, without squealing.

4. Win without bragging.

5. Always be considerate of women, children and other people.

6. Be too brave to lie.

7. Be too generous to cheat.

8. Take your share of the world and let others take theirs.

O, and one other thing. There was one thought I tried to instill in all the kids and in the end it has helped them slowly come to some peace. Her it is: If you are bound to raise hell and to do shameful things, at least make yourself tell the truth about what you did. Whatever else tell the truth. If you don't like hearing yourself say what you did, say it anyway. If you hate hearing it, hate saying it, then you may decide not to do it. But don't lie. At least that. It may be the only rope you can throw yourself to climb out on later.

Tammy, I too will pray for him and for you. Tell him that he will make it. Just because this is happening now doesn't mean his life is derailing. It's just tough to grow up. I know you are a good Mom. He's got to be a good boy.

We love you. Maeve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit