Being a mother in the US

by InquiryMan 18 Replies latest social current

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I found this interesting news on motherhood in the US vs other countries.

A woman in the US has a pregnancy death risk that is five times h igher than a woman living in Bosnia, Greece or Italy, and ten times as big as an Irishi woman, states the report on motherhood in various countries.

On child mortality_ Eight in a thousand children in the US dies before the age of five, placing US on the same level as Slovakia and Montenegro.

An American child has twice the chance of daying before it is five than a child in Finland, Iceland, Sweden or Singapore.

Only 61 per cent of children in the USA attend a kindergarten, making the United States number seven among developing countries, counting from the bottom that is. No other industrialialised country has such a bad mother maternity arrangement as the US (considing both the length and salary).

Norway is the country which has the honor of being number 1 on being a mother.

The maternity leave is currently at at 44 weeks with full salary (based on your job before the pregnancy. It is a maxium of the salary-compensation). If one opts for 80 per cent coverage the duration is 54 weeks. A minimum of six of those weeks are to be taken by the father of the child. The parents can split the time as they want.

For those who are not working prior to the pregnancy (rather uncommon in Norway), a single amount of 35.009 are paid to the mother (that is roughly 6000 US dollars).

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

bttt

• yknot
    yknot

Interesting.....

My cousin is married to a Norwegian.....

She birthed all her children here in the US and than returned to the Norway.....

I guess beyond that I don't know what to say..... I am limited to my experience of being a US citizen.

As far as kindergarten.... some states schedule Pre-K and K as lower income opportunities only.

My area restricts public school Pre-K to lower income families only. (Everyone else is SOL-- doing homeschool, daycare or private school)

Kindergarten is open to all but not mandatory. I am not personally convinced of the effectiveness achieved in a class of 27 students either.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Where did you find this information?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

all these statistics are tainted, it's not the doctors it's the patients.

watch the discovery channel when you get some time.

see how many of these mothers are seriously overweight?

see how many of these mothers are teens?

see how many of these mothers are ignorant dropouts?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I guess it would depend on what social ecomonic lens you're looking through.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

mrsjones5, i'm not trying to be insensitive.......... i'm just trying to say that informed people who follow certain pregnancy procedures are better equipped to

have problemless births.

example: weight, vitamins, stop smoking, stop drinking, exercizing, even the evilizing of sex during pregnancy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    even the evilizing of sex during pregnancy

What the heck does that mean?

• Robdar
    Robdar
    even the evilizing of sex during pregnancy
    What the heck does that mean?

Uh, yeah. What the heck does that mean? Wait, wait, don't tell me.

• cognac
    cognac

I probably got completely screwed somehow in the process compared to other countries...

However, I am very grateful for what I have gotten FREE and the opportunities that I have had and do have! I have always worked my ass off and that is why I get a good payoff... Hopefully, that has happened to the others who have worked hard also. Where US falls short I hope that they can get better. However, they do give us a lot when we are in need. And just for that we should be VERY appreciative! It is up to each and every one of us to pave the way for a better future for all of us. Whether that be better benefits, more work from home opportunities, etc.

Also, from what I hear the countries with better benefits also have higher taxes. There seems to be always a catch when relying on other people/government. So, what I suggest personally is to make a better life for yourselves and others and try to help improve gov. laws when possible but at the same time appreciate the wonderful things that we do have!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit