planning for the future

by John Doe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

----maybe a career in the military would be better for you- challenges, excitement, they have plenty of careers that need highly educated people- it would sure beat the stagnation of a classroom- 4 weeks leave a year is plenty. JD, I think you are made to wear an officers uniform.- just finish that course work 1st!!!- take the finals!!!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

"J.D., JD" does have a nice ring to it! In truth, I agree with you. If you don't have the drive to do it, law can burn you out in no time. Not all lawyers make the "big bucks", but most work long and hard trying to. If your heart isn't in it, don't go there. You mentioned the shortage of qualified math teachers, that probably is more of an advantage for HS level than earlier grades. It's not easy to find qualified teachers for trig, calculus and statistics.

After you get the regular teaching certificate and have a few years worth of good references, try to get into a private or religious school. Why? Because the kids there generally want to be there, and the parents care enough to send them there. You won't be dealing with as much of the apathy that runs through a public school student body. That's the main reason private schools have such good graduation and college admission rates: kids who want to be there and parents who actually give a damn about education.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I know a guy that did that and they sent him to the most poverty stricken area of the city they could. Known for it's violence.

He did stick it out until he had saved enough money from his other two jobs (chiropracter and postman that worked in the main office sorting mail.) and the teaching job to retire. He decided to transfer to Australia(His JW wife was teling others it was to move to where the need was greater) through some sort of transfer program. he had to agree to teach over there for a certain amount of time. He was a workaholic, married to a very devoted JW..and he too eventually started to go to meetings. When he moved to Australia it was really so he wouldn't have to pay tax on all the money he had saved in his "retirement fund". They stayed there.

• peaches
    peaches

finish the simester....get the degree....you will have it,,,IF YOU EVER NEED IT...really no one knows about the future...right now it is not for you...ten years from now,,,,you might feel differently,,,,and really glad you FINISHED....don't throw away the years you have invested....peaches..ps..just my opinion of course....

• John Doe
    John Doe

I think you are made to wear an officers uniform

lol. There's a thought. I wouldn't be accepted into the millitary for health reasons.

• snowbird
    snowbird

How did I miss this?

Go for the degree, you knucklehead!

Sheesh!

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Finish the degree, pass the bar, and do whatevr pays the most so you can retire early, play golf and get laid all day.

• undercover
    undercover

It's not my time or money so it's easy for me to say, "finish and get the degree". But I agree with those that say it, if you have the means. Even if it's not immediate but a little later.

That way you've always got a fall-back should teaching or whatever else you pursue turns out to be not so great either...or if the teaching profession hits on harder times. Many places are cutting teachers, not hiring.

But in the end you gotta do what's right for you. Follow your heart, once your mind is sure it's the right thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit