planning for the future

by John Doe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
    watson

Seems like the Law Degree may open doors. I would complete the course. Not completing it might indicate something undesirable.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Not completing it might indicate something undesirable.

People have told me that quitting the JW's was undersireable as well. Knowing when to move on is an art, not a science.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Not completing it might indicate something undesirable.

All you have to do is see a picture of JD, and you know what undesirable looks like.

Juris Doctor won't help!

Seriously though, JD. Finish your degree, dude. Then you can decide. A semester is nothing. I know, I know, it seems like forever. My last year in college felt that way. But finish what you start, you'll feel proud you did. Then, if you want to teach for a while, and ponder in the meantime, do it. You suffer from the same crap I did. The best future set before you was petting tigers in a Kingdom Hall as big as the planet. You can do better here and now.

And, for crissake, get the hell out of bamawhammy for a few years. It's a big world out there. Travel a little. Go abroad. Screw some exotic strange in some glow in the dark jungle in some country you can't pronounce. Then, when you are truly old, you can act like an old man. But now is not the time.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

My two cents. . .

Middle School and High School kids have their mind on one thing. It's not English or Math.

If you teach at the Community College level, at least folks are paying for the classes and they 'might' be more inclined to actually take an interest in them.

But, if you were my son, I would say, "Pick something and stick with it. Get your law degree. If you decide to teach in the future, you can always do that. In the meantime, get your degree."

I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like you have several good things to choose from.

-LWT

• tec
    tec

I would advise you to finish because you have come so far, and there might be other applications that you could use the degree for. Then do what you want afterward. Finishing something is a huge milestone in itself, and you seem so close to attaining this.

But ultimately, you are the one who knows yourself.

Tammy

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Middle School and High School kids have their mind on one thing. It's not English or Math.

I might sound a bit arrogant here, but a good teacher can command your attention on any subject.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    If you teach at the Community College level, at least folks are paying for the classes and they 'might' be more inclined to actually take an interest in them.

Perhaps. However, a master's is required to teach college level courses, and that's another year of classes. I'm not currently prepared to enter a master's program. Perhaps I will be at some point in the future.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Seriously though, JD. Finish your degree, dude. Then you can decide. A semester is nothing. I know, I know, it seems like forever. My last year in college felt that way. But finish what you start, you'll feel proud you did.

Actually, a semester does seem like nothing. That's not the issue. I'm not going to invest 4 months and $12,000 into something I am not going to pursue.

I've been through enough graduations. They don't hold the same significance for me that they do for many people. Not to be condescending, but many people telling me to finish are people who have never even applied to begin law school.

My only goal in life is to be the master of the direction my life takes. Switching career paths is not something I'm willing to leave up to the force of popular opinion, nor is "being a cog in a machine" something I'm willing to become. Being true to my goals and ambitions is where I derive pride.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Why not take some singing lessons? You'd make a good diva! (Remember to demand only brown M&Ms!)

• John Doe
    John Doe

I don't need lessons. I already sing pretty damned good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit