planning for the future

by John Doe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Just a heads up, this thread will contain some personal ramblings and my plans for the future. If you're not interested, don't waste your time reading it.

As many of you know, I've been in law school for the last 2 1/2 years, and have 1 semester left to complete that degree. However, I've come to loathe the work and have decided that I am not going to use a legal degree. Hence, I'm not even going to bother taking the finals this semester, as any further expenditures in such a pursuit would be a waste.

So, where does that leave me? One of my coworkers is a professor at another local university, where he teaches education classes. Having a discussion with him, it seems getting a non traditional teaching license is fairly easy. I'd have to take a couple of praxis tests and enroll in a program where I'll agree to complete the required training over the next 3 years. During this time, I can become employed as a teacher. However, this program requires that I go wherever they want me to in the state. Of course, with no local ties, this does not bother me. So, naturally, I am considering this option.

My first consideration is what to teach. I have a double major in Math and English, so Math would be the logical choice as it's one of the more in demand subjects. The next consideration would be age level. I'm thinking middle school or high school. Do we have any teachers here? Do you have any suggestions?

Pros:

1. respectable work
    2. summer breaks from regular work schedule
    3. dealing with subjects I enjoy
    4. have considerable experience tutoring at the college level

Cons:

1. red tape and politics
    2. spoiled and disrespectful kids
    3. stagnation in the taught subject area--teaching low level math does not allow much room for challenges
    4. lower pay than private sector work

Thoughts?

• shamus100
    shamus100

JD,

This is why there are so many doctors in the world that absolutely loathe their profession. It's hard to throw years of education away for nothing.

Gawd, I dunno. Why don't you just go on welfare and post on here all day like I do.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    It's hard to throw years of education away for nothing.

Education is never for nothing. And, even if it were, better to throw 2 1/2 years away than a whole lifetime.

• shamus100
    shamus100

That's right, JD. Education is never for nothing -

Is being a lawyer all that bad? Oh, it probably is... nevermind.

Perhaps you should have pioneered instead. Shame on you!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I've been in education...my goal was primary school teaching where it was required here in the UK that we undertook degrees/diplomas covering a range of subjects...I was just starting to enjoy it as I reached baptism, when it became obvious that I couldnt cover subjects and celebrations which were integrated into the syllabus without compromising my beliefs as a JW so I gave it up...I regret that now....I later did a Post grad and did some lecturing of 17year olds...that was pretty daunting in my opinion.

There's a lot of lesson preparation required to be successful and competent as a teacher, as well as unpaid extra hours both at school and marking etc at home....having said that I find great satisfaction in helping a young one to 'understand' and progress. In my view its a vocation as opposed to a career ....

Loz x

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

As many of you know, I've been in law school for the last 2 1.2 years, and have 1 semester left to complete that degree. .....JD

JD..

After 2 1/2 years,1 more semester won`t kill you..

1 more semester and you can chase ambulances!..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• John Doe
    John Doe

Outlaw, my first and foremost priority is to like the work I'm doing. Legal work doesn't match me.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    There's a lot of lesson preparation required to be successful and competent as a teacher, as well as unpaid extra hours both at school and marking etc at home...

I liked the way my College Algebra professor worked the homework. He didn't grade the papers for right or wrong. Instead, he just checked whether you did the work or not and gave you credit for doing it. At the beginning of each class, he went over each homework problem in detail, and gave ample opportunity for questions. That way, the students were still penalized for not doing work, they got all the help they needed, and the professor didn't have to sit an home grading papers every night. It worked well.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I majored in IT, and I tried teaching, JD.

It's easy work. Easy hours.

Shitty money. Well, it isn't starving money, but you won't ever get rich either.

It isn't for me, at least not long term. I would have turned into a vegetable. Teaching offers the kind of mediocrity-rewarding security that ruins people's souls.

As a bridge to something else when you make up your mind, it is absolutely acceptable.

But you are far too smart to be a cog in a bureaucratic machine.

You don't dream of being a teacher. Not you. You have a high opinion of yourself, and justifiably so.

Do what your heart desires. Life is too short. You are better off ruining yourself trying to do something that gives you a boner rather than teaching. Even if you end up old and ruined, at least you would be able to look back at an exciting life.

You asked for an opinion. I gave it to you.

You are unmarried and childless.

DON'T SETTLE!

BTS

• musky
    musky

One semester left? Finish what you started.You can always do something else when you are done.Get the degree first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit