i now longer feel religious; is it ok to just be spiritual?

by peachburger 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peachburger
  • wavvy
    wavvy

Sure! I think that's a big step forward in fact! Better than so many people who are merely religious and not spiritual at all.

• peachburger
    peachburger

Hi, I am new to this site and i joined with quite a bit of relunctancy. I am an inactive JW and i have been that way for at least 10 years. I was baptized at the age of 8 ( im now 28) and i always felt pressure to become baptized because of the promise that i would see my mom again in the new world ( she died shortly after my birth), I was raised in the truth by my grandmother and i appreciate everything she has done for me. As a teenager, my views slightly changed and i began to celebrate bdays and holidays away from home. I was never very vocal in the kingdom, in fact, i was almost transparent. I did the minimum just to stay afloat. Recently, i was dated someone from an opposing faith, he was christian, and he would try to get me to go to church. I would oppose, even though i knew i wasnt practicing my own faith. We have since then broken up for domestic incident. Now i have been doing some serious research regarding my faith and i have found that i really dont feel a connection with JW. I prefer to be inactive versus DF. I feel an obligation to keep a relationship with my grandmother and becoming DF challenges that . I really dont feel a connection with any religion period!,, I feel that religion exploits GOD. There is way too many religious choices and all of them seem to be a derivitive of another!!!!! How can there be one true religion? Is it possible to serve God with out choosing a religion? Are religion and spirituality the same thing??? Will i be out of favor with Jehovah because of the doubts that i have?

I am inundated with questions and doubts but i do know that I fear God!.....Please help me understand whats going on!!!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I don’t believe that religion and spirituality are one and the same.

It was this conundrum which started me to explore my religion’s beliefs in comparison to what I personally believed.

Spirituality is something which comes from within, you either have it or you don’t. It has nothing to do with how many hours you spend studying JW publications, or how many meetings you attend.

I encourage you to explore your spiritual beliefs. Don’t get caught up with concepts such as “one true religion” and other things man-made religions have tried to tell you. Work out for yourself what you believe is true, and what works for you.

Many ex-JWs have explored Eastern religions, such as Buddhism, which may help you connect to your personal sense of spirituality.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

OH yeah! You are on the right track.

Don't worry... a loving god allows doubts and questions.

Welcome!

Love,
    Baba.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm not religious anymore (was I ever?), but I have always been very spiritual, looking for something and feeling things beyond myself and what I see. I have always felt grateful to that which nurtures me and feel that I should care for it: my planet and the universe.

I don't call the path that I follow a religion, because that just reminds me of my old bonds to man. I call it a philosophy of life. There are no rules except to harm none.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

It's OK to be what ever you want

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Isnt the one thing they have taught you in the hall is that jehovah reads hearts? The God that I believe in now that Im away from that controlling unloving organization is that God and Religion are juxtaposed . God cant possibly have anything to do with groups of people who hate other groups of people because their beliefs are different than their own. Or a religion who believes they own Gods loyalty exclusively and only they have Gods ear in prayer and only their ways are the ways to any sort of salvation. All bogus.

Frankly my love, God, Jehovah, if you will, is the least of your worries. He always will love you and your spiritual journey. The JWs would have you think your spiritual journey ends at the Kingdoom Hall doors. Keep on knocking, keep on seeking....THATs what you do. :)

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome to JWN, peachburger!

Spirituality (To Leave A Legacy) is one of the 4 human needs along with Physical (To Live), Emotional/Social (To Love), and Mental (To Learn) needs. So every one of us is Spiritual in some way, regardless of what faith or religion or belief system we adhere to. There are many Spiritual people who do not believe in God.

When I was 16 (that was over 30 years ago), I realized that I wanted nothing to do with being a JW and religion in general. It was oppressive and hypocritical. The subjugation of women is unprincipled and I knew I couldn't live that way.

The whole problem with God starts from the foundation. And that is proof. There is no proof of his existence. You can speculate 'til you are exhausted but there is no proof. I've always thought it odd that if such an extraordinary power did exist, why is there such a complete lack of undeniable, irrefutable proof? I've always thought it odd that the Holy Bible doesn't answer questions; it just creates more (outside of the obvious errors and contradictions).

Once you step out of the 'religion forest' and look back at it, you realize that you are still you. And that all of us still have to get along and love and help each other if we're going to survive.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hi peachburger,

You will find lots of support , wisdom and answers here.

It is not only "ok to be just spiritual" it is better than being "religious"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit