My awakening and realization that I have been told a lie

by Soldier77 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Hi all, new posting, but I've been lurking for a while. I thought it was time to "come out" as it were and voice my story...

I was born into the JW cult surrounded by all of my JW family. Grandfather was an elder for almost 40 years till he passed, both of my uncles are currently now elders and have been for the last 15 years. Even my best friend is a JW MS for the last 5 years. I pioneered briefly, just long enough to be invited to pioneer school back when I was 16 yrs old. I have been DF’d twice, and came back twice, but I always had this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that something about this “religion” or rather cult, was wrong. I’ve never been appointed as an MS since I’m too “rebellious”.

I was abused as a child by my step-father, and till this day denies it and even been through a few JC’s throughout the years trying to expose him with the elders just bringing up the whole, “well, no one else saw him do the things you said he did to you so we can’t do anything”, even though my mom walked in on him but they say that she is just trying to bury her ex and is making this up.... wtf right?

Anyway, there has been so much of what you all here have seen first hand and have experienced with this cult that I too have seen and can relate to. I knew that this mind-control that they have on their members is disgusting to say the least.

My predicament? Everyone in my family is an active JW. My mom see’s the bs that this org is but won’t leave because she too is “stuck” because of friends/family. In fact, the longer I think about it, the more I realize that a lot of my friends have their doubts as well but are in that “wtf do I do” mode since all of my family are in too.

So where does that leave me? I’m currently on the fast track to fade out. I haven’t gone out in field circus in 3+ months, I am trying to slip the meetings a little more and more. The crapper is, an elder came up to me a week ago and asked me to take over a study... I was like... uh.. no thanks, I have no time. Of course he started with the guilt trip right away, “well, we ARE instructed to spread the word and it is our duty as baptized publishers to fulfill our dedication.” I told him I’ll think about it and came up with some excuse based on work. I can’t get over the guilt trips these people push on others. Sickening.

I know this is quite a quick overview with a lot of details left out, but what led me to this site was, one day I wanted to do research on 1914 and what do you know an article that someone wrote here came up and that opened the whole can of worms! I have been to freeminds.org, jwfacts, and countless of other sites that give an honest, straightforward, and the thing I like, back up their stories with facts. Needless to say I’ve been doing a ton of “personal study”, LOL!

I have been taught a lie from the day I was born, so that leads me to say that I have lived a lie all of my life. I am glad to have my eyes opened and I have been starting to read the bible and research facts other than what the WT has printed. In doing this I have been awakened. Awakened me to seek the truth, THE truth about everything I’ve been taught. Cognitive dissonance couldn’t mean more to me at this moment.
    Thank you all here for sharing parts of your lives and being a part of a group that knows what it’s like to go through the things that being a JW goes through.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Soldier77,

Welcome to the forum. I am new here also. I woke up 5 months ago, and have been fading ever since. It's extremely hard when a person was born in, because your whole world is JW - friends, and in your case family too.

If you haven't done so already, read Ray Franz's book Crisis of Conscience and Steve Hassan's book Combatting Cult Mind Control. These two are the starting point in helping to move past the fears of dying at Armageddon and to realizing that there is life outside of WT. The mind control we were under is astounding.

Start making friends outside WT right away. That really helps.

There are lots of good people on the forum here. I have found them extremely kind and helpful. And they can relate to what you are going through.

Best of luck,

mentallyfree31

• not a captive
    not a captive

As he said, " The Truth will set you free"

Glad you saw through the Organization's claim to be the true religion, Soldier 77. Be truthful as you go along, stand your ground. I am still working through what it means to be "out". But it is definitely a new kind of "happy" for me every single day.

Others will give you help along your way. But if the Organization hasn't destroy your faith in God, then you will find a different way to relate to Him even as you have begun to read the Bible with new eyes.

The elders will tell you differently if/when they discover you are not with the program any more, but God will not abandon you. God bless you.

Maeve

• bohm
    bohm

hey and welcome again soldier!

The pattern of abusers denying the abuse (and often act agressive when the charges are brought up) is unfortunately a pattern i have read here all to often - and it makes the process of healing that much harder. When you have been lurking here for so long you know that nothing should keep you back from posting stories, random thought, rants or pictures of dogs - it is only when Shamus ask you to kiss him you know you are on the wrong track :-D . I am happy that you made the jump, and i hope to hear from you.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hi there soldier77, welcome. There is lots of support and wisdom here. I hope you are finding peace and relief from what happened to you.

• upnorth
    upnorth

You will find the living is fantastically better then living a lie.

I was born in also and didn't realize how big the lie was until many years later.

Stay strong and stay out

• peaches
    peaches

hi,,,,you are welcome....i am sorry for what you are going through...

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think the inter-net has been very instrumental in revealing what the WTS publishing corporation is about and has been

about. People today are lucky to have sites like this at their disposal to peer into the real workings

of this organization. Sure the WTS has constructed lies for self empowerment and money a kingdom

of exploitation and manipulation but thats the essence what many modern religions are about.

There is truth and there is religious truth what a individual does with these is weighed

against a persons own personal integrity.

Welcome here Soldier77

• Scott77
    Scott77

welcome soldier77

• Think About It
    Think About It

Welcome to the board Soldier77.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit