At last, we all agree!

We were never in disagreement T-Man !

:)

• littlebird
    littlebird

Agreed!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

BY the Way, Socrates was also a big proponent of "love your enemies".

• Terry
    Terry

There's another recent Forgiveness thread. It might be nice to have these terms defined in the context of this discussion:

- Forgiveness

- Justice

- Love

Here are my definitions:

Forgiveness: When the cost of collecting a debt is greater than the debt itself the debt is cancelled. When a person injures or damages you, but, holding them accountable is not in your best interests you release them from compensation.

Justice: Getting what you deserve and not getting what you don't. Enforcing this standard upon others.

Love: The emotion which follows the highest possible value you hold dearest. It is measured in terms of how much time and effort you give to obtain its object.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Justice: Getting what you deserve and not getting what you don't. Enforcing this standard upon others.

Now you just need to define "deserve" and make it consistant across society.

Good luck with that.

• Terry
    Terry

DESERVE: cause and effect in action; you break it-you buy it. You didn't break it--you don't have to buy it.

Nobody deserves something as a state of being. We have the right to pursuit of happiness and not happiness itself.

Unearned anything is stealing.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Ok, what does a rapist deserve in terms of Justice?

Castration? 20 years? 10 years?

In Islam a thief deserves to get his hand cut off.

• tec
    tec

Terry - Thanks for offering your definitions. They offer me a better understanding of your positions on most things. I believe you and I often disagree because our definitions disagree.

Forgiveness: When the cost of collecting a debt is greater than the debt itself the debt is cancelled. When a person injures or damages you, but, holding them accountable is not in your best interests you release them from compensation. Terry

Tammy:

-Releasing a person from their debt to you, out of compassion and mercy. (Most people need some sign of repentance to be able to do this)

-Releasing yourself from the burden of seeking recompense or justice - especially when that recompense or justice is not always attainable.

-Not seeking retribution for either of the above two reasons.

Justice: Getting what you deserve and not getting what you don't. Enforcing this standard upon others. Terry

Tammy:

Agreed... except... (as PSac has already pointed out) who decides what someone deserves or doesn't deserve? Or even if they deserve it?

Love: The emotion which follows the highest possible value you hold dearest. It is measured in terms of how much time and effort you give to obtain its object. Terry

Tammy:

I don't disagree with any particular point, (and in fact I applaud your ability to state this definition so clearly) but I'm not sure love can be summed up in a sentence for two.

First, there are different kinds of love (for people): love for a mate/lover; love for a child/parent; and love for mankind.

The first is personal, and often conditional.

The second is personal, and often unconditional.

The third is more of a general respect and concern for the well-being of mankind, individually and as a whole.

Tammy

Edited to add: Thanks, Voideater, for suggesting that we state our definitions of the words. Keeps things in proper understanding - or at least a better understanding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit