Why would God stop man from building a tower that reached into the "heavens" and yet let modern man reach even further with a space station and moon landings?

by StoneWall 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dogon
    dogon

this is just one of the many stories that make no sense and is nothing but biblical crap. This book is not worth useing for toilet paper. Its full of anicdotal garbage that is not even good fantasy. Homer was a much better writer and he was not telling us he was inspired by god. LOL Lots daughters were so in need of having children that they could not walk the fifteen miles to the next city and had to get lot drunk and have sex with dad. WOW, great book how should we fu#k off o lord?

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Why would God stop man from building a tower that reached into the "heavens" and yet let modern man reach even further with a space station and moon landings?..."

Because Heaven was a lot lower in those days!

Zid littlesatan

• bohm
    bohm

jaguarbass - you really, really should start a thread and describe in detail what evidence there is to support the idea that indians discovered nuclear fission.

• glenster
    glenster

I think it's about over-indulged human pride, not a literalist concern over
    the structure any more than with various other things in Genesis. The compar-
    ison might be people today over-indulging themselves at others' unnecessary hurt
    and expense to the extent of playing God like Chairman Mao or such to their own
    ends, not space stations.

• nykid
    nykid

I wish one of the fundamentalists on this board would respond to this post as I have yet to see any kind of credible response to this.

• TD
    TD

Okay -- So let me get this straight:

1. Earth becomes filled with violence. -- God wipes out almost all human and animal life in a global flood and starts over.

2. Within three generations, God scrambles languages which creates national divisions and more violence.

3. Violence between nations reaches a crescendo in "Time of the End" prior to God wiping out most human life again.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Nicely put, TD

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

god violence creates more violence.

devil violence?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why would God stop man from building a tower that reached into the "heavens" and yet let modern man reach even further with a space station and moon landings?

Because the Tower Of Babel story is a moral story. It is a fable, like those written by Aesop.

The moral of the story is this: Pride and arrogance comes before the fall.

Also, I personally see another lesson: It is wrong to try to tyrannize and bring all of humanity under a single despotic power.

I find that Josephus' exposition of the story has especially interesting parallels with modernity and it's allegorical "Tower of Babel":

Now it was Nimrod who excited them to such an affront and contempt of God. He was the grandson of Ham, the son of Noah, a bold man, and of great strength of hand. He persuaded them not to ascribe it to God, as if it were through his means they were happy, but to believe that it was their own courage which procured that happiness. He also gradually changed the government into tyranny, seeing no other way of turning men from the fear of God, but to bring them into a constant dependence on his power... Now the multitude were very ready to follow the determination of Nimrod and to esteem it a piece of cowardice to submit to God; and they built a tower, neither sparing any pains, nor being in any degree negligent about the work: and, by reason of the multitude of hands employed in it, it grew very high, sooner than any one could expect; .... When God saw that they acted so madly, he did not resolve to destroy them utterly, since they were not grown wiser by the destruction of the former sinners [in the Flood]; but he caused a tumult among them, by producing in them diverse languages, and causing that, through the multitude of those languages, they should not be able to understand one another. The place wherein they built the tower is now called Babylon, because of the confusion of that language which they readily understood before; for the Hebrews mean by the word Babel, confusion...

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit