Can the internet apostates bring down the WTBS?

by Lozhasleft 21 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

Education always leads to empowerment.

The WTS has always had a 'shelf-life'........ it's wacky & tacky history is inescapable.

It has become the very thing it used to hate all in the name of power, glory and greed.

It is a good lesson to learn, knowning how ease, entitlement and ego can hold otherwise intelligent people hostage.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    The WTS has always had a 'shelf-life'........ it's wacky & tacky history is inescapable.

That may be true, but walk into any KH and you will see the overwhelming majority neither know nor care. It will outlive the majority of us!

George

• chickpea
    chickpea

i think the internet more likely serves
    those who may not even know they
    are headed out the door for good,
    rather than represent an orchestrated
    attempt at WTS overthrow

the society will keep picking low hanging fruit...
    but they might have to install revolving doors
    at the KH

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

No, and why would you care to try? Stop trying to return injury for injury. Leave them behind and move on with your life. Everyone gets whats coming to them sooner or later.

I have to disagree with this. First, it isn't about returning injury for injury, it is about saving and protecting people from a dangerous mind control cult. And no, not everyone gets what's coming to them, especially not if good people sit and do nothing about evil.

Most you can do is hope they change the faux doctrine to come into the 21st century & stop lying to everyone.

Doctrine is the least of their problems. They are an oppressive cult that robs people of their freedom. I'd rather they keep the doctrine, however ridiculous, and change their methods by quitting the mind control (or thought reform, or high control, or whatever you prefer to call it).

Don't be like them and try to force something on members. People will leave on their own as their eyes are opened.

Bringing down the organization has nothing to do with forcing anything on members. The WT has ingrained the rank and file with the idea that they are actually a part of the organization. They're not. The members are victims of the organization. The organization that is the root of the problems is the WTS and its leadership. Without the WTS the members would be free to think, feel, and behave however they choose. Can one force freedom on people?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I think it could hurt them financially as more lawsuits get filed but i dont think the internet will bring them down.

we have all seen how most JWs simply are unable to see the 'truth'. It will always be a minority that will take a look at the internet sites and even less that will overcome the fear of apostacy long enough to read them.

Thats not to say that we wont have a positive effect, but bring it down? I hope i am wrong!

One day i think they will implode. The stretching of things like generation and chronology will only take them so far before it becomes a peculiarity of the 21st century religions in some future study of history.

My Dad who lost his family to the 'borg' in 1972 taught me this the other day: While doing 'our bit' to help people and loved ones see the real watchtower org, it's important to make sure the quest does not consume us or adversley affect our post JW lives and relationships.

oz

• sir82
    sir82

What do you mean "bring down"?

Do you mean "completely eradicate"? That will never happen by any means. There will always be a segment of society that has a need for authoritarian groups to tell them what to do or think. JWs are one of many such organizations filling that need.

Do you mean "reduce their influence, cause their numbers to decline, affect the income stream they enjoy"? That's already happening, and will continue. Virtually no one under 30 cares about "reaching out" for "positions of authority" any more, and as the decades pass and the internet generation continues to age, that "age 30" cutoff will continue to climb. Eventually, before too long, there will be a leadership crisis as the current crop of elders & COs die off and there's no one to replace them - or the replacements are incompetent even by WT standards.

• leavingwt
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The leadership crisis is already in effect. Every so often there is a letter or a KM blurb about the serious need for brothers to reach out in the congregations. And if you have been around the borg for more than a few decades it is obvious that they have dumbed things down in order to allow more brothers to have congregation responsibilities who might not have qualified decades ago.

Can we wipe the WT out of existence? Probably not. But we can as Sir says, reduce their influence, their numbers, and their income. We have to remember that this is a marginally relevant cult of Christianity already. Only about one out of 1,000 people on this planet are JWs. I think a healthy goal would be a 50% improvement. The earth's population will continue to grow but if we could get the Dub numbers to stagnate, then I think we can consider it a job well done. If they're at around 7.5 million by the time the world population reaches 10 billion (2060?) then we'll have accomplished a great thing. (I say "we" but it really is likely to be the result of a great combination of factors, most which are beyond the scope of JWN.)

• dgp
    dgp

WTWizard said:

It might make people that would have studied think twice before joining, however--and that might discourage a few witlesses.

Absolutely true in my case.

I also believe that there will be another problem. I had absolutely no interest in researching things Watchtower until the fine day that such an interest was created in me. If any of my relatives thought about joining, I would warn them early. And if I were a different person (perhaps a stronger one), I could give a witness a very hard time about his beliefs. Not that I will do that; but I could.

The information out there creates strong resistance to join the WT, and that not just in the person who reads the information.

There will always be people who will find groups like the WT very attractive, however.

I also believe that the internet helps doubting witnesses to see that they are not alone in their doubts. It helps you guys connect with witnesses you would have never met and helps you discuss things you would have never discussed. Brother A has an idea here, and presents it, and then Sister Omega gives another idea, and suddenly you have a whole body of ideas available to doubting witnesses that come from other witnesses. This is obvious to all of you guys, but I believe that's the greatest internet impact on the WT.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

everything helps:

1. the internet is gonna stop 1/2 of the new recruits

2. the internet will eventually make them loose 10-15% of their current members

3. money will come in less, less contributions and less investment income

4. encouragement to not have children will not inflate numbers from their own flock

5. some will just leave on their own

this is the WT stupid 2034 plan, to self destroy themselves with stupid rules and the day will come where they are nonsense

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit