I Think Terry Over Analyzes Too Much

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

C'mon...THAT WAS funny.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Let me over analyze this:

A person can often become hypercritical if he was raised in a very stressful situation or with hypercritical parents. In high stress homes, he could develop over-analyzing as a self-protection — hoping to analyze situations carefully so they won’t cause trouble. Being hypercritical is more than pessimism — it’s being unable to accept things at face value and enjoy them. In reality, everything is made of stardust — but it doesn’t make sense to reduce a rose, a loved one, a sunset, or a snowflake to that level.

This person may typically be experiencing a depression. A loss of interest, lack of pleasure in things, and inability to see joy is common in depression. Depressed folks not only over-analyze, but their mind goes 100 mph, and they think catastrophically. Depressed brains contaminate thoughts and over-work until they have pulled the joy, interest, and motivation from daily experiences. If someone has always been an over-analyzer — depression makes it even worse. Depression and stress amplify the normal personality characteristics so the person may actually be triple-analyzing now. The question ceases to be whether the glass is half full or half empty, it’s why bother thinking about that since we’re all going to die in a meteor impact anyway and return to stardust.

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

Be very careful minimus!!! Criticizing Terry on this board is a big no no. When I expressed my own opinion about some of Terry's threads I got attacked by damn near everyone on this site. I was called a troll, got cursed out and everything. I wonder if you'll get the same treatment?

BlueGrass

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The great thing about Terry's posts are that they provoke EVEN MORE thought than he puts into them. I wouldn't trade the guy for 1000 monkeys.

• cult classic
    cult classic

minimus --- I like that you guys question/analyze things a lot. For some reason it gives me something deeper to think on for a bit. Almost like a puzzle. I don't always reply or think the thread is important but I enjoy exercising my brain on subjects not usually discussed.

rockmehardplace ---- LOL, I hear you. Sometimes I can't get a reply within a thread.......lol

OTWO ---- that is one of the most interesting things I have read in a long time. I'm looking for ways to fix my thinking and repair my outlook on life. This makes sense ...........Thank you.

Cult Classic

• minimus
    minimus

1000 monkeys?? That's a lotta monkeys!

• minimus
    minimus

Terry's perspectives are detailed and his explanations are thorough. He's very smart. But the trade-off for a thousand monkeys is a tough one.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If they're trained monkeys then I'd make the trade. Wild monkeys? I'd have to stick with Terry.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    So it's OK to overanalyze in moderation?

My thought exactly. If Terry really overanalyzed he would tell you your thread title was redundant.

• minimus
    minimus

hmmm.....trained monkeys, huh? I see your point!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit