Why believe in the SUPERNATURAL?

by Terry 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

What is meant by “the supernatural”? Supposedly, a realm that transcends nature.

What is nature?

Nature is existence—the sum of that which is.

It is usually called “nature” when we think of it as a system of interconnected, interacting entities governed by law.

So “nature” really means the universe of entities acting and interacting in accordance with their identities.

What, then, is “super-nature”?

Something beyond the universe, beyond entities, beyond identity.

It would have to be: a form of existence beyond existence—a kind of entity beyond anything man knows about entities—a something which

contradicts everything man knows about the identity of that which is. In short, a contradiction of every metaphysical essential.

To assert the existence of another Nature is to create what is unnecessary.

Karl Popper (developor of Falsifiability in Science) explained Occam's Razor in these terms:

a simple theory applies to more cases than a more complex one, and is thus more easily falsifiable

The Supernatural can mean anything to anybody, cannot be tested nor falsified and creates unnecessary complexity in place of verifiable simplicty.

So then, WHY DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE SUPERNATURAL? The Supernatural can only be accessed by "faith".

The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short-circuit destroying the mind.

• clearlyenlight
    clearlyenlight

Beyond everything is consciousness, yet humans can only view the present and not beyond. Beyond this 3rd dimensional world of formation is the spirit world and once a person can train their third eye to view and ascertain then the picture becomes much bigger.

Spirit Entities

• JWoods
    JWoods
    once a person can train their third eye to view and ascertain then the picture becomes much bigger

This I think is a large part of the attraction to the supernatural, the paranormal, the belief in cryptobiology, UFOs, and so on.

It makes the believer feel that they are somehow "special" - as in the above - "they have trained their third eye". They get to "see" and believe in things that most people (ordinary people) do not.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Do you see that little period I put up at the top in the middle of this post? That represents what I know about the universe if the rest of this comment box represents the universe.

Well, it's probably even less than that, but a dot is the smallest thing I can put on the page.

So, I might be calling it the "supernatural" now, but someday, maybe, it'll just be general knowledge. A lot of things we used to think were "magic" we now understand and can explain.

So, who am I to say what exists out in the universe and what doesn't? I don't know enough to even know what the difference is between reality and the supernatural or if there is a difference, I only know what I know and I'm pretty sure it's inadequate to the task of answering this question, except from my own point of view and from what I know.

• JWoods
    JWoods

That kind of thinking is good to keep an open investigative mind, Mindmelda.

However, without careful checks and balances, it is what causes people to believe in the Scientology Zenu the Alien, the JW chronology, the Loch Ness Monster, and so on.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Supernatural is just a label people apply to things that are imaginary to make themselves feel less foolish. There is no objective difference between the imaginary and the supernatural.

• journey-on
    journey-on

We need to develop a new "language" to explain the realm of the unmanifested. The old language is obsolete, hokey, and ooga-booga. There is currently a synthesis of science and spirituality taking place and I think this will eventually give us the new language needed to describe it.

Science is still in its kindergarten stage where it sees everything in a concrete way and petulantly tries to hold on to it's egotistical identity, but there is a paradigm shift going on right now and new scientific discoveries are beginning to open up our consciousness and along with that, new ways of seeing and evaluating the possibilities.

• Terry
    Terry

I can only hope whatever "new language" is invented will not do violence to the language we already have.

You've heard me talk about anti-concepts. That is usually what happens when "new" meanings are attached to old words.

The definitions becomes fuzzy and communication goes opaque.

The words that drive me wild and have me climbing the wall are the uses of the word "spirit" and "energy" by the New Age movement.

Gaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The Frijtopf Capras and Deepak Chopras hijack language and annhilate "meaning" by semiotic malfeasance.

They give me prickly heat in the head.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I believe in the supernatural because of experiences. Dead things that fly. Headless things that push past you in the dark. Windows that open and something comes down the stairs. The front of your house disappears. Babies that don't want to enter the house. Lights that are switched off when you switch them on. The chill.

• Terry
    Terry

I believe in the supernatural because of experiences. Dead things that fly. Headless things that push past you in the dark. Windows that open and something comes down the stairs. The front of your house disappears. Babies that don't want to enter the house. Lights that are switched off when you switch them on. The chill

Or Detox! !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit