Is Darwinism True?

by Perry 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

Random mutation/genetic change coupled with natural selection.

That is like asking me to believe that the exhaust on a car assembled itself in preparation of a combustion engine it didn't know existed. As seen in the Harvard video, a gasoline engine is primitive compared to a cell.

It is interesting to follow the sequence of events which occur as proteins are manufactured in the cell. The DNA molecule spreads apart in a certain place, and a RNA molecule is formed from it by matching opposite nucleotides in a long chain. This long strand is called messenger RNA. Other portions of the DNA molecule form transfer RNA. An organelle called a ribosome (made up of another type of RNA) proceeds down the messenger RNA like a car on an assembly line. At every three nucleotides on the messenger RNA, the ribosome stops and attaches a transfer RNA carrying an amino acid. This amino acid becomes the next link in the growing chain which will even-tually become a protein. These proteins then go on to become part of the structure of the organism, catalyze reactions, and perform a multitude of functions.

One such protein, DNA polymerase, catalyzes the formation of DNA. This raises the question, which came first, DNA or DNA polymerase? This is only one of MANY such cycles which make up the chemical apparatus found in all cells. If ANY of these cycles were broken, life would not exist.

I'm afraid your answer doesn't come close to addressing this question: If all the cell systems require each other to function how does random mutation/ genetic change/ natural selection explain this? I submit that it doesn't address it all.

But using your model, can you walk me through a likely scenario from your point of view?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    How do you know Creation is false as you claim?

This is difficult question to answer because I have not made specifically this claim. Your question is a response to my statement that I reject creationism as valid science. Your question makes a very different claim, one I have not made, and one which implicitly has a notion of "Creation" that you do not define. You know that I am an agnostic and that I have not said in strong terms that there is not a God, or that divine creative activity (however that is supposed to be construed) was not involved in the origin and development of the universe. You seem to be the one making a positive claim, that you know that "Creation" is true, not just as a matter of faith but as something that is self-evident. But thus far you only employ arguments from incredulity to support that claim.

In other words, can you offer any plausible explanation whatsoever that would account for the stupendous complexity of a single cell, with all the necessary parts apearing simultaneously that would not need an act of creation?

Did you not read what I wrote on the first page? I specifically described the fact that science still has a way to go in accounting for complexity in almost any area of study, particularly involving non-linear interdependent systems, much less in a field like abiogenesis where the evidence is much more sketchy (no fossils, for one thing). There are many competing hypotheses, as would be expected in a burgeoning field. My point, as it was in my prior post, is that the present explanatory adequacy of a given theory is not evidence at all that no complete scientific explanation could ever eventually be formulated, or evidence that a non-scientific explanation is needed. Otherwise, why even pursue scientific research into the complexity of the Jovian atmosphere if we can simply say that God created it that way, and .... that's all that needs to be said. It took centuries before scientists understand how and why lightning happens, but perhaps their lack of an explanation early on was evidence instead that lightning is simply a manifestation of God's power and lightning happens simply because God sends the lightning.

In other words, what is your plausible explanation (as you are the one affirming a positive claim) of the processes involved when God created that single cell, or each single cell if we also reject common descent? How were the atoms arranged and what chemical processes occurred when God built those subsystems in place? If God imparted his own power to the cell, describe how the energy transfer processes occurred chemically. Are any creationists working on this? Or is "God did it" sufficient as an explanation for you? Personal incredulity aside, why doesn't "nature did it" meet the same standard?

BTW, why bring up abiogenesis when this thread is about Darwinism? Also: why assume that all the necessary parts appeared simultaneously? This assumes that the cell in its present form must have sprang up simultaneously because it is (in its current form) a complex, interdependent system and must have always been a complex interdependent system. You do not allow for the possibility that the present system as a product that is only the end-result of processes of development and integration.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

So far we have established the FACT that the Darwin idea of natural selection and random mutation CANNOT account for the complexity of life. Apparently scientists and intellectuals (I use that term loosely) alike are in agreement on this.

Let this thread stand as a testimony of most everyone's agreement on this.

"We" haven't concluded that at all. You have. All "we" have said is that the claim deserves as much scrutiny as any other.

Now, all we have to do is to come up with a plausible explanation for how a single cell with the complexity of a city, with interdependent parts, came into existence.

That's the study of the origin of life, abiogenesis, not evolution.

• cofty
    cofty

If anybody is interesting in keeping tabs on the latest lunacy from the kooks at the Discovery Institute pop in on The Sensuous Curmudgeon Blog from time to time

• Perry
    Perry

This is difficult question to answer because I have not made specifically this claim.

But Leolaia, you did write that you reject Creationism.

Your question is a response to my statement that I reject creationism as valid science.

But creation (of life) can't actually now be duplicated and isn't subject to scientific methods. How can you reject something that is impossible? It just is. Dead cells are dead cells and cannot be brought back to life by anyone except God. He is the only one that can do it. So how can you say that you reject creation(ism) and say this:

You know that I am an agnostic and that I have not said in strong terms that there is not a God, or that divine creative activity (however that is supposed to
    be construed) was not involved in the origin and development of the universe.

So which is the part of Creationism that you reject then? Is it the part that includes a God who must judge you righteously? How can you in good conscience accept his "creative activity" and not his position as your Judge? Who gives you the authority to pick and choose what kind of God you would like to have create the universe. Should not the Creator also be YOUR Judge by virtue of his Creatorship?

My point, as it was in my prior post, is that the present explanatory adequacy of a given theory is not evidence at all that no scientific explanation could ever
    eventually be formulated, or evidence that a non-scientific explanation is needed.

Who says God is non-scientific? That ridiculous. They're his laws. If you cannot find anyone who has brought someone back from the dead, does that mean it cannot be done ?; or that unknown laws exist that make this possible.

You don't seem to be in search of a scientific theory to account for the complexity of life per se , as much as you seem to be hoping that a secular scientific theory comes along that eliminates the judgment part of that explanation. Just my take.

Otherwise, why even pursue scientific research into the complexity of the Jovian atmosphere if we can simply say that God created it that way, and .... that's all that needs to be said.

Because if God created it, it must be worth looking into. It's like my two young boys....when I finish a project they can't wait to inspect it, to test it, to examine it. The same object just laying around is uninteresting to them.

It took centuries before scientists understand how and why lightning happens, but perhaps their lack of an explanation early on was evidence instead that lightning is simply a manifestation of God's power and lightning happens simply because God sends the lightning.

And Ben Franklin believed in God as did most of the great scientists and inventors in our history. You have it backwards. History doesn't match your worldview.

In other words, what is your plausible explanation (as you are the one affirming a positive claim) of the processes involved when God created that single cell, or each single cell if we also reject common descent? How were the atoms arranged and what chemical processes occurred when God built those subsystems in place? If God imparted his own power to the cell, describe how the energy transfer processes occurred chemically. Are any creationists working on this? Or is "God did it" sufficient as an explanation for you? Personal incredulity aside, why doesn't "nature did it" meet the same standard?

Leolaia,

God lives inside of me, dynamically. The God that you don't know, that "might" have initiated "creative activity", that is the one that I can tell you about and what he did in my life. That's the proof I have .... my testimony.

You are the one rejecting certain convenient parts of Creationism as science or knowledge while attempting to retain others. Please just answer straightforward: Why do you believe that Creation by a moral judging God is false as say opposed to some other intelligent designer?

You do not allow for the possibility that the present system as a product that is only the end-result of processes of development and integration.

Please provide one explanatory example of how interdependent systems in a cell can develop from nothing.

Of course this is unnecessary if you again envoke the spirit of "divine creative activity" ; in which case your naturalism is DOA.

You can't have it both ways without the theological question of judgment and morality the way I see it.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've been out of the tower since 83, When I left the tower I spent 10 years reading literature

from the institute of creation science.

This debate is about semantics the meaning of words.

Every one here is not on the same page as to word meanings.

Originally I didnt believe in Darwin but thats a big statement.

Darwin showed that things adapt, which is a form of evolution.

White butterflys turn black and black butterflies turn white based on the color of the tree

bark.

Actually one color survives and the other color gets eaten. Both colors were there the one

that survives becomes more abundant.

Darwinsm could be embraced by a young earther. It would explain how all the animals

that were necessary could fit on Noahs ark.

To me the cell does seem much to complex to not have an intelligent desinger.

But I dont know how to explain light that has been traveling for millions of years with

a 6000 year old earth and creation.

Truth is where you find it.

• Perry
    Perry

jaguarbass,

I appreciate your comments. I accept micro evolution. It's pretty obvious to me. Other parts , not too sure about, couldn't give a speech on it that's for sure.

But how some people can claim with arrogant, mocking, cock-suredness that God didn't create things is hard to imagine. ..... especially coming from folks who spent most of their lives being lied to in a cult.

I know for me, I proceeded with extreme caution after leaving the tower.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Since there is no known god to be recognized, Darwinism and evolution has its weighted merits in probabilities.

Over the years starting from Darwin himself there have been a continuing set of discoveries that have supported his original conceptual theory.

As time presses on there will mostly will be more discoveries to lend support to his original concept.

Why and what purposeful gains does it afford humanity to block out new discoveries, when we have much to gain from to opening

are minds to evidential sciences, weighed against the probability of deity as a source creator.

Is it better to pursue the science of the gods or the science of evidential matter ?

• Perry
    Perry

there is no known god to be recognized,

This a perfect example of what I'm talking about. In order to make this statement true, you would have to be God yourself, having by necesssity to be omnipresent.

Why and what purposeful gains does it afford humanity to block out new discoveries, when we

have much to gain from to opening

The True One, You do realize that the pioneers of Modern Science were all believers don't you?

What did Isaac Newton, Renes Descartes, Galileo Galilei, Robert Boyle, James Maxwell, and Michael Faraday all have in common?

They were highly successful scientists and scholars who lived during the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries.

Isaac Newton is one of the brightest and most influential scientific minds that ever lived. Descartes’ earned the title “father of modern philosophy” for his contributions on reason and scientific methodology. Galileo’s popularization of experimentation and mathematical analysis played a major role in shaping modern science. Boyle is a co-founder of the influential Royal Society and a founder of modern chemistry. Maxwell made groundbreaking discoveries in mathematics and physics, most notably in the area of electromagnetic theory. And Faraday revolutionized modern physics with his work in electromagnetism.

These men shaped the world in which we live. Without their contributions the world would be a very different place. They brought us out of the Dark Ages and laid a foundation of scientific progress and prosperity that continues to this day.

What some may not realize is that they were also devout believers. They were theists, which is to say that they believed in a Supreme Being who is actively involved in His creations. They believed in divine inspiration, guidance, and intervention, and accepted the divine mission of the Lord Jesus Christ. Why is this significant? It means that if you believe in God and believe in science (in the sense of recognizing science as a noble pursuit of truth), then you are in good company. You are in the company of men like Newton, Boyle, and Galileo. Don't forget Albert Einstein either.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

You do realize that the pioneers of Modern Science were all believers don't you?

So? So were most people in those days, before science discovered the things it has today. We no longer need God/miracles to explain things. He doesn't explain them anyway - the first two chapters of his 'creation account' are full of holes - He didn't even agree with himself about 'creationism'! He couldn't even get the first three chapters of his freakin' book to jive with each other.

Now there's a source in which to put our faith.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit