Who picked your bible? And which one do you use?

by cyberjesus 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I have access to just about every version, translation and whatnot at the bookstore and the most intelligible of them all

IMHO is THE MESSAGE BIBLE.

You can read a passage you know by heart (from any other translation) and then read the same passage in THE MESSAGE and something

wonderful happens. It is like the voice of the Divine whispering into your ear; a gentle evening breeze on a cool summer day.

I love what Eugene Peterson hath wrought.

Just read through this most recited Psalm 23 and see if it is as though you have never heard it before!!

Psalm 23 (The Message)

Psalm 23
    A David Psalm

1-3 God , my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
    You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
    you find me quiet pools to drink from.
    True to your word,
    you let me catch my breath
    and send me in the right direction.

4 Even when the way goes through
    Death Valley,
    I'm not afraid
    when you walk at my side.
    Your trusty shepherd's crook
    makes me feel secure.

5 You serve me a six-course dinner
    right in front of my enemies.
    You revive my drooping head;
    my cup brims with blessing.

6 Your beauty and love chase after me
    every day of my life.
    I'm back home in the house of God
    for the rest of my life.

Eugene H. Peterson explains:

When Paul of Tarsus wrote a letter, the people who received it understood it instantly, When the prophet Isaiah preached a sermon, I can't imagine that people went to the library to figure it out. That was the basic premise under which I worked. I began with the New Testament in the Greek --- a rough and jagged language, not so grammatically clean. I just typed out a page the way I thought it would have sounded to the Galatians.
  • wannabefree
    wannabefree

Seriously, read Truth in Translation, NIV according to this Greek scholar is heavily biased. It is quite eye opening about modern translations, yet, when you incorporate his commentary in your using of the NWT, it can take on a very different meaning than taught by WTB&TS,Inc.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The Good News Bible..I figure if the JWs hate it, it must be okay. LOL

Actually, I have a lot of different ones. I get them free from church thrift stores. *G*

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    So what are your responses to your questions?

1- which one do you use? I dont really use one in particular, right now I like google as my bible. what i mean is i type it on my google browser and i get the quote instantly. its faster than licking my finger and passing thin paper pages. However I almost always end up here http://bible.cc/ because it has lots of versions even some greek and hebrew, and nope they dont have the NWT I stopped trusting that one when I found out the WT inserted the name of Jehovah in the english translation when it doesnt appear on the greek manuscrits. So I decided that I was against copyist or translator who added their own interpretation... but that opened a can of worms

2.- How did you decided which one to use? i havent decided yet. I was interested to find a modern version that would try to go directly to the oldest or most accurate manuscripts and after reading the story of the LATIN VULGATE or Erasmus' editio princeps (which is the basis for the KJV) or the Textus Receptus (since a lot of translations are based on old translations) I havent found a copy that uses the "accepted" manuscripts. Since there have been new manuscripts found since the compilation of those TEXTS. I am quiet dissapointed (I know I know we dont have the autographs) but I was hoping that there was out there a version that attempted to translate directly from the manuscripts and not had a theological agenda.

3.- What research did you do on that particular version and/or canon? Oh brother, well I have been doing a lot of research on the history of the TEXTS, manuscripts, translations, translators. And I find it quite fascinating to discover that we could have had a way different bible altogether with other books and without some of the books. Its interesting to find out that our bible is really the result of the most influential christian group of the early church and that the other groups(marcionists, gnostics, ebionites,etc) also had their sacred books, and since the orthodox group won then we have an orthodox version.

4.- How much research you did on the bible in general after you left the Borg? This sucks. I have not been able to look for a job because in the past 8 months since I left the borg I have been obsessed with this religion crap (sorry for some of you) and I have been reading, buying books, trips to the library and the internet for more than 5 hours daily. (I think Its approaching the end). so I guess i have been doing some decent research. The interesting thing is that I originally started to look for the best version of the bible and I ended up after all this research not believing the bible was inspired by God nor mantained/protected by him or her whatever it could/might be.

5.-What do you know about the writers or who said who wrote what and when? I know that some of the people I thought wrote some of the books didnt really write them. I know that the people who in many instances decided who wrote some of the books took that decision based on their own theology and not in accurate knowledge. A lot of the dates that the book "ALL SCRIPTURE" taught me are completely wrong and not based on accurate information and I know that there are books that shouldnt even be there and others that didnt make it because someone didnt like them. I guess i shouldnt say shouldnt. The bible is what it is. I feel sad I didnt do this research before but oh what did I know.

6.- How many of you did zero research on the authenticity of the book and its history? haha when I was in the borg my favorite book was the book "ALL SCRIPTURE" so i guess that counts as almost zero back then.

• Gregor
    Gregor

The one with no boogers.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Well, since I am a "born in" I had the NWT picked for me. I have been expanding my versions and I have an NIV (which I enjoy reading) and I just picked up an ESV Study Bible. I know it is somewhat biased, but after reading the NWT for 30+ years it's refreshing to me. Plus the footnotes that it provides is quite enlightening. Not to mention the section it talks about "cults" in the appendix. JW's are mentioned. I'm hoping to pick up a KJ and NASB soon to add to the growing collection.

• Dnice
    Dnice

I still use the New World Translation. I wouldn't use ANY bible that follows the superstitous practice of taking out God's name

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit