Who picked your bible? And which one do you use?

by cyberjesus 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Since there are many many translations of the bible, which one do you use? How did you decided which one to use?

What research did you do on that particular version and/or canon?

How much research you did on the bible in general after you left the Borg?

I am not trying to attack your beliefs rather I am curious to find out to what extent you went to ensure you have the most accurate word of God. What do you know about the writers or who said who wrote what and when?

How many of you did zero research on the authenticity of the book and its history?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

LWT puts his Christian cap on. . .

If you WANT to find God, any Bible will do. He's wants you to find him.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I don't believe there is an "accurate word of God"

Cult Classic

• spawn
    spawn

I gave up on the Bible and went for 3ply toilet tissue.

• blondie
    blondie

I have close to 25 translations/versions that I use; I use many multiple translations online to compare verses.

Also, I don't believe in Zeus or Athena either but I have studied Roman and Greek mythology.

So what are your responses to your questions?

I haven't tossed the bible in the toilet since I comment on WT publications hopefully with a view of some jws reading my comments. Better to prove my point using the bible and WT pubs than a non-jw source if at all possible.

Hang them with their own words.

• tec
    tec

I use New International Version/Thompson Chain Reference Bible/ Red letter edition. (Red letters for everything Jesus said - and I tell you, that got confusing when doing my Bible Study with JW's, because they didn't agree that it is Jesus speaking in the places where my edition says He is speaking)

I like this translation. Its easy to read, and it tells me at the bottom of each page what might have been added, and shows alternate translations, as well as where those alternate translations came from. This bible is actually a huge source of information regarding different translations, archaeological backups, etc. I didn't research if it was the best translation to use, though, because I didn't think it mattered. Changing a few words here and there should not impact the message.

Except in the NWT.

Tammy

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

After reading Truth in Translation, I trust the New World Translation Reference Editon, making sure to check footnotes carefully, bracketed words, and take into consideration that the Divine Name most likely does not belong in the Greek Scriptures. I also have been using the New American Bible - these two translations were viewed as quite accurate by Jason BeDuhn.

I found his book to very helpful in reading the New World Translation from a different perspective by taking into consideration the issues he had with the translation despite it being quite accurate. Understanding these nuances and paying close attention to the footnotes was instrumental to me seeing the real truth of the bible.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I still use the New World Translation...... when I run out of zig zags it comes in handy

• goodship
  • goodship
    goodship

i find this a very 'insightful' question, why are you asking this question if you a spritual person!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit