Who picked your bible? And which one do you use?

by cyberjesus 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• glenster
  • GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I own the New Jerusalem Bible and the Gideon pocket NT/Proverbs/Psalms book (which is KJV). The NJB was recommended by my High School teacher, it only took me 40 years to follow up and actually buy it (a belated thank you, Fr. Steve!). The Gideon pocket version was a freebie they handed out on the College campus, so I guess they picked that one for me. I've had it ever since.

• maputo95
    maputo95

The Bible is a collection of books taken from a large pool of Jewish and Christian books floating around and chosen by councils of the Church, ie Nicaea. The Book of Revelations almost didn't make it and I think Luther wanted it expunged from the canon. The Catholic Church picked the Bible and I use many versions including the Duoay-Rheims with the inclusion of the Deuterocanonical Books. Does the Version really matter? Well, I would avoid the corrupt NWT with its sectarian- influenced tamperings. I love and respect all Christians and am sure we are all "saved" even the JWs although they might just get their "paradise on earth populated with like-minded people as we can realise postulates. Sorry, I did Dianetics 101!! PS, I really respect atheists too! POWER TO GOOD-WILLED PEOPLE!

• Quentin
    Quentin

nwt...KJ....NKJ...NJ and about hajf a dozen others....no favorites....a bible is a bible....

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I have a number of hard copy versions (king james, living bible, NIV + a bible in hebew and a bible in greek with their corresponding english versions) which up till about 2 years ago also included my personal copy of the New World Translation - the whole bible and then the New World Translation version of the new testiments in greek.

I spent a number of months before I left and 2 years or so afterwards, doing TONS of research on the grammer, translation of words, their meanings, their context and then checking the NWT with other versions of the bible.

I even did some research on the book of Enoch and looked into if and how it tied up with some other bible books - I have a friend/collegue who is doing intensive research on that book at the moment.

Considering I had invested 29 years of my life into that faith and that I still had a number of my family in it, I weighed everything very carefully, I knew what the consequences would be of my actions and I accepted it......and in hindsight would do it all over again.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I use the cover of the green NWT because is just the right thickness to stop my coffee table wobbling.

• White Dove
    White Dove

The one I grew up on was, of course, the NWT.

The one I prefer, though, is the NKJV red letter edition. It was a gift from a born-again believer elderly couple who lived under us downstairs.

That one is easier to read than the KJV and is certainly more accurate or authentic to whatever and where ever they get the writings from than the NWT ever was, so says everyone else.

I compared the two and saw the differences. I also found the inconsistency in the number of nails needed to secure Jesus' hands on a stake and on a cross.

The NWT supports the amount needed for the cross but not the stake. It's in Doubting Thomas' experience in the upper room.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I have many translations. I think the Jerusalem Bible is very good, if I had to limit myself to only one.

BTS

• Denial
  • Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

As part of the graduate program in the university I am enrolled in, I am in a "Christian Foundations" class & we all received shiny new NIV bibles-

this is my first experience with another translation other than the NWT- prior to this I was still quoting NWT in my college papers

my prof is using the NIV to show me the inconsistencies with the trinity doctrine & JW views, I find it very interesting and am weighing my thoughts on what the borg brainwashed me to believe- JWs are taught that the Holy Spirit is God's active force, and what the professor is showing me: the borg changed the use of personal prounouns when referring to the Holy Spirit (which christians view as a "helper" in the triune godhead sharing one essence).....very interesting...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit