The only reason most of us are here is......

by Quillsky 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

undercover said....

If the JW religion did not DF dissenters, did not shun those who chose to leave for whatever reason, the main reason for ex-JW community wouldn't really need to exist.

Thank you. That is exactly the point of my original premise.

Now there's this.....

Most religions that use peer pressure of shunning and excommunication are the ones with the most vocal opponents...particularly from former members.

I can't think of any "Christian" religions in the Western world that practise shunning to the extent that Jehovah's Witnesses do. It is shunning that messes up our families, messes with our minds.

Some people may immediately think of Islam then. If you're a Muslim in a fairly extreme Islamic environment you could be killed by your family in an "honor killing", for example, for acting in a way contrary to the religion. So then, don't Jehovah's Witnesses have a better deal?

No. Being able to place JW's right next to extremist Muslims serves to highlight how extreme this faith is.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I just saw this video. Nice and simple, honest.... it supports my original assertion. Thanks Leticia.

http://media.causes.com/466261?m=c88cfd06&s=cause

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

We share a unique experience its as if we all grew up or moved and lived for a while in a strange land with rules and customs different from all others and we've all moved out of it but it was a powerful experience that altered us. Most people have no idea the impact this has had and why we feel the way we do. so we have this bond and we understand each other the pain disillustionment emptyness and also the good new outlook we can acquire after our departure so we help each other and this can be our special place to be understood.

• moshe
    moshe

I sent a letter to Bethel in 1988 and told them I was annulling my membership/baptism due to fraud (gave my proof)- In other words the WT Corp had obtained my membership by the use of fraud/lies and I was exercising my legal right to cancel my contract. The elders read a letter at the KH that I was no longer to be considered a JW. The elders came around and wanted to know what was in my letter that I had sent to Bethel, but I told them to take a hike. I never even got a letter from the judicial committee- nothing. (sounds just like a corporation, not a church) Of course all the JW's knew I had turned to the 'dark side' (thanks to my wife) and they gave me the cold shoulder, but it didn't bother me at all.

• freydo
    freydo

I vividly remember an elder telling me about witnessing, that when you kick out the crutches of a potential dub, you have to give them something to support them. This is the support for those who've had their crutches kicked out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit