AMAZING SPEECH by Stephen Fry

by iknowall558 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It is so enjoyable to hear someone who can express themselves so well. He could just as well have been speaking about the draconian structure of Jehovah's Witnesses. The all or nothing way of dogma leads to abuse. That Ratzinger sounds like a real piece of work. W.Once

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Stephen Fry, Hugh Lawrie and Rowan Atkinson have been so much part of my culture, from "not the 9 O clock News" in the late 70's I forget that they are relatively unknown in other parts of the world.

I've been a huge fan of all three since the mid 80's thanks to public tv.

• maputo95
    maputo95

First Spurious Statement in Fry's Speech and there are others:

“It did so at the time: reference was made to Galileo and the fact that he was tortured, for trying to explain the Copernican theory of the Universe”

Galileo was NOT tortured by the Church but treated surprisingly well. He was not prosecuted for his scientific ideas but for his theological/biblical challenges.

Nicolini revealed the circumstances surrounding Galileo’s "imprisonment" when he reported to the Tuscan king: "The pope told me that he had shown Galileo a favor never accorded to another" (letter dated Feb. 13, 1633); " . . . he has a servant and every convenience" (letter, April 16); and "[i]n regard to the person of Galileo, he ought to be imprisoned for some time because he disobeyed the orders of 1616, but the pope says that after the publication of the sentence he will consider with me as to what can be done to afflict him as little as possible" (letter, June 18).

Had Galileo been tortured, Nicolini would have reported it to his king. While instruments of torture may have been present during Galileo’s recantation (this was the custom of the legal system in Europe at that time), they definitely were not used .

• maputo95
    maputo95

Spurious Statements by Fry #1:

“It did so at the time: reference was made to Galileo and the fact that he was tortured, for trying to explain the Copernican theory of the Universe” Stephen Fry Intelligence2 Debate:

Galileo was NOT tortured by the Church but treated surprisingly well. He was not prosecuted for his scientific ideas but for his theological/biblical challenges.

Nicolini revealed the circumstances surrounding Galileo’s "imprisonment" when he reported to the Tuscan king: "The pope told me that he had shown Galileo a favor never accorded to another" (letter dated Feb. 13, 1633); " . . . he has a servant and every convenience" (letter, April 16); and "[i]n regard to the person of Galileo, he ought to be imprisoned for some time because he disobeyed the orders of 1616, but the pope says that after the publication of the sentence he will consider with me as to what can be done to afflict him as little as possible" (letter, June 18).

Had Galileo been tortured, Nicolini would have reported it to his king. While instruments of torture may have been present during Galileo’s recantation (this was the custom of the legal system in Europe at that time), they definitely were not used.

• llbh
    llbh

Maputo, Fry did not bring up his sexuality, and what has Fry's private life to do with the thesis he posits?? Fry's atheism is as well know Widdecombe's Catholicism, and, point??

His points about Galileo and the strident and virulent opposition of the Catholic Church are well known and documented, they were even brought last night on UK TV .

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit