JW Pejorative Use of Words to Belittle Others

by maputo95 20 Replies latest jw friends

• maputo95
    maputo95

A comment to my JW friend on the definition of ‘doctrine’ and how the WTBTS uses the term 'doctrine' pejoratively and mockingly to describe ideas of the people of 'christiandom,' another derogatory word. Can anybody think of other words the JWs use to attack people of other persuasions?

"You have a misunderstood word on 'doctrines' as the bible is full of doctrine written by the MEN who authored the bible.

See definition of doctrine: A doctrine is a body of teaching and the Bible contains a body of teaching. The WT has made this neutral term into a pejorative term for their followers. The Bible is also the traditions of Israel written down and again in my opinion, the WT has given the neutral term 'tradition' a sinister connotation. They seem to say the doctrines of oral church tradtion are ‘devilish’ but if some of those oral traditions were written down in various books by the men of the very same church, and accepted as canon by councils of the church then the doctrines expounded within in are suddenly inspired by God?”

Pejorative: having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force: the pejorative affix -ling in princeling.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Their use of the word "apostate" is pejorative.

• teel
    teel

"Independent" - imagine that, most people think of it as a positive thing.

• cantleave
    cantleave

We are surrounded by the spirit of this wicked world (non JW's).

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

They seem to say the doctrines of oral church tradtion are ‘devilish’ but if some of those oral traditions were written down in various books by the men of the very same church, and accepted as canon by councils of the church then the doctrines expounded within in are suddenly inspired by God?”

Good point!

• Heaven
    Heaven

'Worldly'.

'Christendom'.

'Higher Education'.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Immature.

Spiritually weak.

Bangalore

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The word church, although understood by all other English-speakers on earth to mean either a religion or a religious building, is regarded as a pejorative by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Remember when you were a kid and someone asked where your church was and you were shocked and thought "I don't have a church, I have a Hall!!" Or out in field service someone asked what church you belonged to and you said defiantly, as trained, "We don't belong to a church, we are Jehovah's Witnesses."

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Worldly is a good one. In general in English it means sophisticated, wise as to how things work.

James Bond is worldly, in a good way. Not for JW's.

• JuliG
    JuliG

A JW I occasionally converse with uses the phrase "higher critics" to mean those with an education or with expertise in a specific field whose research does not agree with or disproves the made up stuff from the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit