It's quite simple really...

by undercover 33 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I remember when I first started questioning the WTS/JWs. There were so many scandals and teachings and history to explore and research. I needed to learn everything I could about every little inconsistency, every mistake, every scandal in order to convince myself that I was on the correct path to freedom from this false religion. I wanted to compare everything I learned as a JW to what I was learning as one questioning the religion. That's quite the task...one that was daunting to say the least.

The control that the cult had on me as a child, young adult and later was more intense than I thought. I had real anxiety the deeper I got. For every one thing I thought I was resolving, two more questions or issues arose.

But now that some time has passed and I know what I know and I'm out from under the boot heel of the WTS' control, I have found that I don't care so much about some of the issues that I once couldn't let go of. I no longer wish to try to argue every little point with any JW or JW family member that questions my stand.

I once was obsessed with the 607 thing. If 607 was wrong then the whole WT doctrine house of cards fell. While that's still true, and it's true that 607 is wrong, it doesn't matter anymore. Nitpicking scriptures trying to prove that the WTS has misconstrued them to further their own cause isn't a big deal anymore either.

Instead, one word...or the definition of that word, is all that matters anymore. It's not ancient history. It's not even early WT history that involved Russell or Rutherford. It's not something that my parents believed before my time. This is something I lived through, something I witnessed, something I believed. I believed it because it was promised to me as if coming from God himself.

The generation that I lived in would see Armageddon. I was promised that, if faithful, I would not see death. There is more definitive proof for this "generation in our time" doctrine than any other doctrine of the past 50 years. It's in print...multiple times. It was THE doctrine that kept us in line and faithul. ...until 1995, that is.

Then it all changed. The WTS brought a "spirit of wisdom" to the matter. Their words. "Spirit of wisdom"? What the hell does that mean? They're the ones that taught us what "generation" meant to begin with. They're the ones that called it God's promise. They're the ones that convinced us to forego college or good careers or having children. They had us anticipating the end anyday...and then the pulled the rug out from under us.

So now I don't worry about 607 or pyramids or Beth Sarim or kissing Hitler's ass. All I need to do is point out that the generation that I was a part of was no longer exists and that God's promise held out to me no longer exists. I was lied to. I was decieved. I will experience death. I will not see a paradise earth. I can admit it now...I was a member in a doomsday cult.

Was... but now I'm free of it and I don't have to remember the entire history of the religion or catalog every inconsistent doctrine or flip-flop. I don't have to be a Bible scholar so as to point out the errors of their translation. All I have to do is remember what I personally experienced and how I was lied to.

It's quite simple really...

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The 1914 teaching was a clincher for me, too. I remember bringing the point up to elders who had visited me. We were bringing this to people's homes, and judging anyone who didn't accept it as unrighteous. This made us the worst kind of false prophets.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

Very good post UC. So sad and yet so true. I agree wholeheartedly.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I enjoyed that.

We can either live as slaves or as free men. The choice is ours.

• Heaven
    Heaven

They're the ones that taught us what "generation" meant to begin with. They're the ones that called it God's promise. They're the ones that convinced us to forego college or good careers or having children. They had us anticipating the end anyday...and then the pulled the rug out from under us.

WBTS = Watchtower Bible and Teflon Society. Nothing sticks to them. It's all the sheeples' fault.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I was thinking about this exact thing yesterday.

It really was the height of arrogance to change that "generation" teaching in the 1990s (after it had already proven false).

Like Undercover said - this was their core doctrine for the entire 20th century: The generation alive in 1914 would see the end and live in the new system. It is now a demonstrated false promise, even by their own words.

What they painted over it was more stupid on top of the already stupid.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Amen undercover!

Jonny Lang - Leaving to Stay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKa0BNk_4tA

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I'm not sure how old you are, but I feel exactly the same way. I am 30. I have said several times on this forum that the 1984 WatchTower Bound Volume is pure GOLD when showing current JW's how completely wrong they are, and also PROVES without a doubt how they pushed 1914, The Generation That Would Not Die, and other "any day now" crap down our throats as gospel!!!!

And you are 100% correct, this was taught at the door as the "Truth", and anyone not accepting of the explanations given for the "Timeline" was considered a goat, unresponsive to the message, and would certainly die during the Great Tribulation and/or Armaggedon. It was 100%, complete certain. I mean, it was proof of how "close", "any day now" we were to "The End of this System of Things."

Of ALL of things that got my young mind of 5 wondering, it was the date 1914. When I asked my father about how they came up with it, he spoke about how Russell measured lenghs of the pyramids of Giza and did certain calculations. My parents studied with MUCH older people in the 1970's, and I'm also certain now that's how he came up with that. I didn't know what "Pyramidology and Occult" practices were at that young age, but even at 5 this really rang a bell as strange since I knew YHWH didn't mention anything about the Great Pyramids in the Bible. It wasn't until I was 19 and at work one day with the internet and bored that I decided to type in 1914 into the Yahoo! search engine. Oh my, what doors lay ahead of me to explore!!!!

1914 for anyone coming in or born before 1995 has really got to be a sticking point, and even more so if they lived through the great preaching push of the 1980's. Today, the "Generation of 1914" is as unknown to new JW's as 1975 was to me. My father knew of 1975, but went along with their half-assed cover-up. He was completely fooled, or maybe just didn't want to admit he had been had? Who knows.

I agree.....1914 is just huge for me. It was laid out as PROOF....not even really some lame doctrine, but PROOF that they, and they ALONE had the Truth because it proved The End Times.

Go back and look at that 1984 WatchTower Bound Volume, specifically May 15, 1984 edition. It will blow your mind. It is one of a very few of the Bound Volumes I kept as proof. I'm waiting for my knock at the door so I can show it to them and ask them if this is still "The Truth."

I feel so cheated, you can't even believe. Well, maybe you do.

- Wing Commander

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Go back and look at that 1984 WatchTower Bound Volume, specifically May 15, 1984 edition. It will blow your mind. It is one of a very few of the Bound Volumes I kept as proof. I'm waiting for my knock at the door so I can show it to them and ask them if this is still "The Truth."

If someone has the damning portions of this issue handy, will you please post it? Thank you.

My family was recruited into the WT in late 1984, so these things would have been fresh on the minds of the recruiters.

• rich5678
    rich5678

1914—The Generation That Will Not Pass Away
    “THIS generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur,” said Jesus. (Matthew 24:34) But what is meant by the word “generation”?
    In his book The Generation of 1914, professor of history Robert Wohl presents an unusual definition when he states: “A historical generation is not defined by its chronological limits or its borders. It is not a zone of dates . . . It is more like a magnetic field at the center of which lies an experience or a series of experiences. . . . What is essential to the formation of a generational consciousness is some common frame of reference that provides a sense of rupture with the past . . . This frame of reference is always derived from great historical events like wars, revolutions, plagues, famines, and economic crises.”
    From that point of view, the Great War of 1914-18 and its aftermath certainly formed a “frame of reference” to mark a generation. As professor Wohl comments: World War I created “an overwhelming sense of rupture with the past. Those who lived through the war could never rid themselves of the belief that one world had ended and another begun in August 1914.”
    Jesus used the word “generation” many times in different settings and with various meanings. But what did he mean when he spoke of a ‘generation that would not pass away’? Some have interpreted “generation” to mean a period of 30, 40, 70 or even 120 years. However, a generation is really related to people and events, rather than to a fixed number of years.
    The Greek word rendered “generation” in the Bible has been defined as, “Those born at the same time . . . Associated with this is the meaning: the body of one’s contemporaries, an age.” (The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology) “The sum total of those born at the same time, expanded to include all those living at a given time generation, contemporaries.” (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament from Walter Bauer’s Fifth Edition, 1958) These definitions embrace both those born around the time of a historic event and all those alive at that time.
    If Jesus used “generation” in that sense and we apply it to 1914, then the babies of that generation are now 70 years old or older. And others alive in 1914 are in their 80’s or 90’s, a few even having reached a hundred. There are still many millions of that generation alive. Some of them “will by no means pass away until all things occur.”—Luke 21:32.
    Since 1914 we have already lived through two world wars and many other major conflicts, along with famines, earthquakes, pestilences and the like. (Luke 21:10, 11) Yet Jesus said: “This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Matthew 24:34) Therefore, you might ask: What other major events remain to be seen by the generation of 1914? And can these actually take place in the time period that remains for that generation?
    What Happens Next?
    Especially since 1919 have Jehovah’s Witnesses been fulfilling on a remarkable scale and against earth-wide opposition Jesus’ prophecy: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14) Yes, this is the work that has to be completed to Jehovah’s satisfaction before the end comes.
    What other events must take place in the period left for the generation of 1914? The Bible clearly points to certain major developments that will lead into and form a part of the “great tribulation” that culminates in Armageddon, “the war of the great day of God the Almighty.” (Matthew 24:21; Revelation 16:14, 16) It is urgent that you know what these developments are and that you take necessary protective action before it is too late.—Zephaniah 2:3.
    One of these developments was prophesied by the apostle Paul when he stated: “You yourselves know quite well that Jehovah’s day is coming exactly as a thief in the night. Whenever it is that they are saying: ‘Peace and security!’ then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them.” This prophecy makes it clear that, just prior to the end of this system of things, “peace and security” will be declared in some exceptional way, whether by the United Nations or independently by political and religious leaders. What will follow that declaration? Paul said: “Then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them.”—1 Thessalonians 5:2, 3.
    Does Your Religion Matter?
    Could that destruction affect you? Well, do you belong to one of the world’s many religions? Do you know how God views those religions? What is their future?
    Under the symbol of a “great harlot” named “Babylon the Great,” the inspired apostle John described a system that has benefited for centuries from intimate association with “the kings of the earth” who wield political power. This “harlot” has also benefited from dealings with “the traveling merchants,” that is, the world’s commercial element. What system is this that has also lorded it over the “peoples and crowds and nations and tongues”? It is false religion! Yes, all religions that are false from Jehovah God’s standpoint constitute this “great harlot,” who is actually a world empire. But what does the immediate future hold for her?—Revelation 17:1-8, 15; 18:15-17.
    Revelation 17:16 indicates that radical political elements within the United Nations (the “scarlet-colored wild beast”) will hate the religious harlot and devastate her. Already, powerful atheistic and antireligious elements in the UN have taken steps to stamp out religion within their domain. But more drastic action is expected in the near future when these political elements devastate not only Christendom but also the other great religious systems. Logically, the anti-God forces will also attack Jehovah’s Witnesses who faithfully proclaim God’s Kingdom. This will be tantamount to attacking God himself and will provoke retaliation—God’s war of Armageddon!—Revelation 17:3, 12-16; 16:14-16; Ezekiel 38:10-12, 18-23; Zechariah 2:8.
    Is There Enough Time?
    From a purely human viewpoint, it could appear that these developments could hardly take place before the generation of 1914 disappears from the scene. But fulfillment of all the foretold events affecting the generation of 1914 does not depend on comparatively slow human action. Jehovah’s prophetic word through Christ Jesus is: “This generation [of 1914] will by no means pass away until all things occur.” (Luke 21:32) And Jehovah, who is the source of inspired and unfailing prophecy, will bring about the fulfillment of his Son’s words in a relatively short time.—Isaiah 46:9, 10; 55:10, 11.
    Are there any past examples of Bible prophecies’ being fulfilled in the face of human disbelief and skepticism? Yes, and we can briefly examine one of these. In the year 33 C.E., Jesus foretold regarding Jerusalem and its temple: “As for these things that you are beholding, the days will come in which not a stone upon a stone will be left here and not be thrown down. Furthermore, when you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near.”—Luke 21:6, 20.
    Thirty-three years later, the Roman army, under Cestius Gallus, attacked Jerusalem and was at the point of victory. Inexplicably, however, General Gallus ordered his troops to retreat. As a consequence, some of the Jews must have thought that their sacred city would not suffer destruction. But such a thought was short-lived. Four years later, the Roman armies under Titus came back and destroyed Jerusalem and its temple.
    Thus Jesus’ prophecy came true right down to fine detail. As G. A. Williamson said in his introduction to Josephus’ The Jewish War: “Had we no other sources of information than the gospels we should be tempted to suspect that the warnings of Jesus were couched in hyperbolical [exaggerated] language . . . Was it possible that of that mighty Temple not one stone should be left upon another, that should not be cast down? It was indeed possible; it is historical fact. The destruction was utter and complete . . . The whole tragic story had been foretold with startling accuracy.”
    Just as Jesus’ prophecies regarding Jerusalem were fulfilled within the life span of the generation of the year 33 C.E., so his prophecies regarding “the time of the end” will be fulfilled within the life span of the generation of 1914. (Daniel 12:4) This means that marvelous prospects lie before not only that generation but all those living today. Why? Because Jesus also said regarding the significant events affecting that generation: “When you see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near.”—Luke 21:28, 31.
    The nearness of God’s Kingdom today spells the end of the present divisive political, religious and commercial systems. It means the ushering in of a righteous new government for all obedient mankind. You can choose everlasting life under this arrangement of “new heavens and a new earth.” (2 Peter 3:13; John 17:3) Yes, you may live to see this promised New Order, along with survivors of the generation of 1914—the generation that will not pass away.
    [Picture on page 5]
    “One world had ended and another begun in August 1914”
    [Pictures on page 6]
    ‘When they say “Peace and security!” sudden destruction will be upon them’
    [Picture on page 7]
    You, along with survivors of the generation of 1914, may live to see a New Order

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit