When you fully believed it was the “truth”….

by Broken Promises 20 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

there’s no point leaving money to JWs, because they would just leave the money to the WTS anyway.

That is a crass generalisation and sounds like a good excuse . I only know of one or two, in all my years who left their money to "The Society" or the congregation....Most of the dubs that I knew had little to leave anyway, They believed that there was no point accumulating wealth if Armageddon was coming .

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Most of the JW that I knew never left their estate to the WTS or cong. But I do know of one widowed sister who did not have any children who left her estate to the local congregation. The boe used the money to pay off the WTS loan on the KH.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I know of no Dubs who plan "an estate" at all, let alone leaving anything to anyone. Children are left to foot the bill to bury parents and grandparents who didn't bother with insurance or any sort of retirement or death planning because the new system would be here by then. Any Dub who plans for the future in any secular way is considered weak.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was a JW the world was ending in 4 years. They even had a date for the end, 1975.

I got baptized in 71.

• undercover
    undercover

I never thought about it....I mean Armageddon was coming, right?

But these days, I've heard of dubs planning to leave their 'estate' to the Society. I'm hoping my parents aren't that stupid...

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Just to clarify, “estate” refers to whatever the deceased person leaves behind in personal possessions, money etc.

A person could have $50 in the bank, or $50 million. It’s still considered an estate.

The executor is responsible for dividing up the estate according to the legal will of the deceased person.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Dubs I knew were all in debt. I never knew of people leaving $ to wts but those that died whom I knew didn't have much to leave to anyone anyways. As for me, even when I was a believer I never contributed much since I never believed that a religion needs much maybe I was/am cheap but money I make are the money I spend on myself and my family not any organization. So to the original question the answer is no, I never imagined leaving a penny to wts.

• yknot
    yknot

NOT!!!!!......I was never suppose to die in this system of things!.......so I never for a moment contemplated myself dying.

Even to this day my mind sees the date as such and such year, month, and day since the end was suppose to be here.....

Prior to Jan 1, 2000.................if you had told me I would live more than 26yrs and a month in this System... I would have told you were crazy, plum freakin' crazy!!!

• wobble
    wobble

Even when I was an active Dub, we only contributed the minimum to cover what we used in Literatrash and KH usage.

I took an executive decision and stopped our standing order about 3 years before we left, and put a little in the local box to cover the fact we were there.

I never intended leaving anything to the local Cong. or the WT as I believed that they did not need it, and were not entitled to it.

I never was someone who "Fully believed" despite being born in.

I do know of a couple of elderly sisters who have left small bequests in their Will , after making provision for their families, but I think they are rare examples. However small the bequest, the greedy WT will gobble it up.

Wobble

• teel
    teel

Being in my 20s I haven't really thought about that, but I think it wouldn't have been too far from me to do that - provided I have no kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit