Something i've never understood, perhaps you could answer for me?

by highdose 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

My Mom joined because her Father joined whom she loved very much and because she wanted to raise her children 'with Bible principles'. My Dad joined because he was struggling in his retirement -- they gave him something to do that got him away from my Mom.

None of us kids joined. We didn't like the results we were experiencing.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Another part to why people get connected to the JWS is, people don't get to talk about religion and god

very much, it may sit in their consciousness dormant waiting for some answers, the JWS calling at peoples door

offer answers to what they were looking for. The callers are really the bait, once the person starts attending meetings

an indoctrination process mentally molds the individual into exactly what the WTS. wants them to be and that of course

is door to door sales people for their literature and the cycle continues on.

What most people who start studying with the JWS is the WTS. purposely creates a wall around their followers to retain

their members, like demeaning higher education even now to refrain from getting married to serve the organization fully.

Organized religion can be brutal at times.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I can't speak from personal experience, having been one of those who "benefited" from my mother's decision to destroy what would have been at least a mediocre life, but in my laboratory, working with living human subjects, I have found evidence that leads me to conclude that the FUD FACTOR is the major reason why seemingly normal adults decide to join the Watchtower cult.

The FUD FACTOR is Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

We live in uncertain times, and every day we are deluged by talking heads who tell us of the latest disaster and how close we all might have come to being killed ->SNAP<- just like THAT. We have knowledge of natural disasters in places whose names we can't pronounce, and we are fully informed of the global threat that such natural disasters can offer. Then we have economic upheaval, political upheaval, wars and rumors of wars, recalls of consumer goods, recalls of food contaminated with fecal matter.

Its enough to make one wonder what the H*LL is going on.

So people not skilled in rational thought, but disappointed by the invisible friends of their childhood, become convinced that what they need to do is try a NEW invisible friend, and before you can say nebuchadnezzar you have a freshly dipped JW on your hands, eager to spread the cult meme.

Most adults, after all, are only old children.

• onemore
    onemore

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

However, I’m not a “new” “new” member .

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

an indoctrination process mentally molds the individual into exactly what the WTS. wants them to be and that of course is door to door sales people for their literature and the cycle continues on

At this point the WTS isn't about door-to-door sales. If they break even in that endeavor I'd be surprised. It is about recruitment and retention because that keeps the Kingdom Halls going and Kingdom Halls are where the borg makes its money.

The door to door work isn't great at recruiting either but the secondary fruit of that labor is that people are too busy on weekends to do other things like spend time with family, enjoy the life they're living now, or learn about the problems in their own religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit