Something i've never understood, perhaps you could answer for me?

by highdose 34 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

I have never understood how adults that have had a life in the normal world could be brainwashed into this cult? ok i know it dosn't happen very often, about 1 in every 10 years in my experiance. But it dos happen all the same?

The born in's i can understand, if youv'e been brainwashed since birth then you don't stand much of a chance. but why and what makes adults join??

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Usually something bad happens in their life and they go looking for something to fix their life.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Steve Hassan (literally) wrote the books on this topic. They will answer 99% of your questions in a logical manner.

'Combatting Cult Mind Contol'

http://www.amazon.com/Combatting-Cult-Mind-Control-Best-selling/dp/0892813113

You'll not only learn what makes JWs tick, you'll understand HOW the Nazi's turned ordinary Germans into SS.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

As Elsewhere said, ones that I know had something traumatic in their life. Usually the death of a family member, or a falling out with their church or church leadership.

• blondie
    blondie

I would ask why Moonies and Scientologists focus on college campuses, young people who were not raised in those religions and seem smart enough to get into college. I just remember that these are cults and read what cults are about.

Steve Hassan is a good place to start.

http://www.freedomofmind.com/

• Terry
    Terry

1. Most "normal" people who believe in the bible have never been told that there are errors. JW's are usually the FIRST to disclose the errors.

This causes a secure bible believer to wonder "what else" they've been lied to about.

2.Most "normal" people believe christianity and church teaches true doctrines. JW's reveal how many bogus doctrines and beliefs come from pagan sources. This shakes the student of the bible into wondering "what else" they've been lied to about.

3.Most "normal" people don't know that god was called by a name. JW's are the first to really hammer that home and make it important.

Eventually, once the "normal" person trusts JW's to give them the inside dope they RELAX their skepticism and regard Jehovah's Witnesses as a source of Truth.

That's when the hook goes in!

Then, they are warned about persecution.

It comes!

Who do they run to? Back to the JW's who have laid it all out neatly for them.

The damage is done.

'

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

think about how when you wake up in the morning. you never turn the lights on fully at first as it will hurt your eyes. you gradually get used to the light until it is fully bright. just like coming into the religion from the outside. you start with the basics. simple things really. common ground is found. people have a variety of reasons for starting up a study: tramatic issues, bad home life, no friends, longing for spiritual connections. could be about anything. but the beginning groundwork is started slowly with that common ground. trust is gained, and then information is added. as time goes, you find one of two thing really happening. either you become entrenched without really knowing it, or you call BS and run.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If you read Combatting Cult Mind Control you'll have your answer.

One thing the Dubs do early on is set up a self-fulfilling prophecy in the mind of the recruit via Jesus warning that his disciples will be persecuted. Then, when a recruit's family reacts negatively upon finding out he/she is studying with the Dubs, the Dubs say, "See? We told you you would be persecuted for learning 'the truth'." Then, once the person is "in" they set up the phobia of bad things that will happen if they leave.

The monthly KMs, the Watchtowers, the TMS book, and all other books they publish are designed to teach Dubs how to implement some sort of cult mind control over recruits while establishing and reinforcing the mind control over current Dubs. When a person is in a state of mind that he/she is looking for something to believe in, it's easy to get drawn in to the borg.

Love bombing, loaded language, the list goes on and on. Cult mind control works on people who are unaware it is being used.

• sd-7
    sd-7

My father, who was never a JW, said it well: "People have got to believe in something." That's the bottom line of it.

Many people have been abused in their life, neglected, and having automatic friends just by joining this group that seems to be making a difference, with seemingly good, honest, decent people? (Granted, there ARE good, honest, decent people in the religion.) It's a chance to belong. To feel loved, accepted.

My mom grew up with an abusive, alcoholic father who literally tried to kill people when he was mad enough--thankfully he never succeeded. When she started her study with the JWs, said father was, I believe, dying of cancer. Simultaneously, she heard voices that told her Jehovah's Witnesses were the ones who knew the truth about them. So, she called the KH, started a study.

She knew little about the Bible, didn't even understand her own beliefs as a Catholic. So, she was easy prey--no need to question anything, and without any other standard to draw comparison with, the alternatives were non-existent.

In the absence of alternative points of view, an idea presented persuasively can influence even the intelligent. As long as you don't bother to check the facts, you're prey to any idea. With a more specific program of manipulation, it's just that much easier to accomplish.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Because when you meet a JW they are very nice. Some of their teachings can entice you and they do make sense (at first) If you go to the Hall as a newbie you feel like a Celebrity. If you study you have friends stopping by all the time so nice and so many. They really care about you they really love me. Then you get baptized and you couldn't get Brother or Sister to stop by at all. Can't count time talking to you anymore. Some of the teachings you don't agree with is worth the trade for the Brotherhood you feel at the beginning. The rest is History. Your hooked like Heroin, when you try to quit all the pushers arrive to keep you doped up. The visits start again you feel that "high" again. It becomes a vicious cycle just like Drug addiction. Cold Turkey is the only way and it can be very painful just like Drug Addiction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit