Something i've never understood, perhaps you could answer for me?

by highdose 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Nice post ONEMORE

Welcome aboard

Darth Plaugeis

• dgp
    dgp

Regarding the comments by Dinah and Onemore, I want to say that a worldly adult will usually have some basic "axioms" (for lack of a better word) she or he can't abandon. You just can't tell an honest worldly to shun the rest, for example; if the worldly is basically honest, he or she will know that there's good and bad in everyone (thanks, Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder). So there's some indoctrination you can take but there are some very basic areas of your self that they just can't change.

I can only speak for Catholics. A Catholic with decent knowledge of the Bible and his/her own church, warts and all, won't be an easy prey. For starters, Bible jumping doesn't seem too impressive and could even backfire. Anyone knows that, the Bible having a limited size, it is just impossible for it to contain advice for EVERY possible situation, and, therefore, quoting verses from here and there for any situation whatsoever makes you believe that these guys are very good at stretching the Bible to say what it never meant to say.

• dgp
    dgp

Welcome, Onemore.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I think some are attracted to the religion because it's the only place a normal ordinary person could become someone who is praised by others because of things they can control... their speaking ability, hour spent out on service, reaching out, pioneering ect..ect.

Think about the rush the Elders get after they give a talk at the KH and there is a line of people wanting to praise him on his wonderful talk. Where else does this happen in his life? I could see how they could get wrapped up in the praise regardless of the ever changing message.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Our son is unfortunately one of those "adults that have had a life in the normal world and then brainwashed into this cult". In his case, he started dating a girl who was studying to become a Witness. She was eventually baptized after they were married....then started putting tremendous pressure on him to join. He did. We never get to see him at Christmas, birthday parties, Easter....or ANY other Holiday celebrations. He doesn't even acknowledge me or his dad on Mother's & Father's Day anymore. That hurts.

He was brought up in a normal, happy NON-JW family. It hurts very much to know he's trapped in this mind-control cult. I have to just keep believeing he'll wake up someday and see that the WTS is NOT what it claims to be.

• White Dove
    White Dove

There is a guy in my building that is studying with JWs'. I made a point of letting him know that once you get in, you can't get out except by death.

I let him know the laundry list of offenses that you can be kicked out for and lose your friends and maybe family members. And also I told him to not be afraid of outside research, to research and Google everything he is told by them.

He already sounds like a JW when attempting to counter what I said, tried to make me think by asking "thought provoking questions." He appreciated me letting him know this and that he will certainly check out everything, but he is still enjoying his study.

I said that a study can be very enjoyable, so do enjoy it. You can learn a lot and make friends along the way.

I said that after he told me that he had AIDS from a blood transfusion in the 80's (wouldn't he be gone by now?), he lost his wife last year and his house burned down, he lost all his brothers from premature death by heart disease, and that his mom and sisters are in the "truth."

He really doesn't stand a chance. I was not about to rain on his parade any more that I already did.

I figured that he did need to know that it's easy to get in but impossible to get out if he ever changed his mind.

• AGuest
    AGuest

"Nobody joins a cult. People are recruited into cults. The recruitment process involves deception."

Yes, a profound truth, as my Lord is recorded to have said:

" 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. 25 Look! I have forewarned you ." Matthew 24:24, 25

Peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

People like being told what to do and what to think by others that have an "air" of authority.

It's hard to do your own thinking, especially when it comes to religion.

• cult classic
    cult classic

"I think some are attracted to the religion because it's the only place a normal ordinary person could become someone who is praised by others because of things they can control... their speaking ability, hour spent out on service, reaching out, pioneering ect..ect."

truthseeker - I totally agree on this. I have a friend who says all the time "where else would these men get 150 people to sit and regularly listen to their dumb a$$e$?"..... nowhere.

Cult Classic

welcome to the party Onemore

• dgp
    dgp

Lavendar, take relief in the fact that you never did anything wrong with him. As someone said, people are recruited.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit