Setting up trust – any suggestions on how to handle our JW daughter?

by Bonnie_Clyde 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

We set up a trust a few years ago but have an appointment with our attorney later this month to make sure it is current and make any changes necessary. Originally we had our daughter and our two sons to share equally. Now I feel that it should not be equal. The last time Clyde or I saw or had a conversation with her was on the day my father was buried three years ago even though she lives only ten miles away. (Neither Clyde or I are DF’d). She does not answer phone calls, emails or letters. I also make sure to send her an anniversary card every year. She sent a rather cryptic email to our youngest son who invited her to his wedding last year about “marrying only in the lord.” No congratulations.

Sometimes I get very upset about this. Also, the way I was treated before my father passed away. I had been his Power of Attorney, and she and her husband (plus my brother and cousin) convinced him to remove me. All of a sudden I was an outsider because I had dared the question the big “O” in a very brief conversation back in 2005—this despite the fact that I spent almost seven years helping my father with the care of my invalid mother when they and the rest of the congregation mostly looked the other way.

Other days, I try to understand. I remind myself that I have to share a bit of the blame. In my late teens, I was largely responsible for my father becoming a witness—he often spoke of the good example I set for him and that’s why he became a witness. Of course, I trained my daughter to be a good witness to. I dutifully shunned people who weren’t a good example in the congregation. I would often comment on how important this was so that these people would see the error of their way.

Clyde has often spoken of how we need to show forgiveness, and sometimes I agree. Then I think of our two sons who have been wonderful. They and their families have been very loving. One son lives out of state but comes to visit three or four times a year and calls us regularly. When we are with them, we can talk about any subject without being “judged.” On the other hand, our daughter will run to the elders any time she hears something she doesn’t like. She tried to get Clyde in trouble about four years ago—won’t go into detail now.

We are starting our list of questions for the attorney this week. I think Clyde wants to be a little more lenient than I do. My feeling is, yes, let her have a little bit, but I personally feel that our sons are the ones who should be rewarded most—not her. Clyde and I have not discussed this aspect yet but will have to in the next few days and I also want to respect his wishes.

It’s hard to describe my feelings toward my daughter. I believe I have the normal feelings that any mother would have, but now it’s mostly sadness—that she is so completely locked into that awful cult.

Any advice?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You will get advice but only you can decide this (with Clyde). I would personally leave her an equal share, but my grandmother left her son (my uncle) one dollar because he didn't contact his parents nor attended his father's funeral (then didn't attend his mother's funeral either). I think that bothered her in the end.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Oh dear me I identify so much with you....I am in this exact situation with my youngest daughter although she is only following that same example of her older siblings...that its ok to treat me as if I am 'dead' and no longer exist in her life....it hurts more with her because despite being reared in the cult she always said she couldnt cut me off like this ...and we were so very close until she went to live with her older sister...

I know what you mean that we have to take responsibility to some great extent because like you I was determined to do things 'the right way' when I was a witness...I so regret it now ...I wish I could go back and live life differently...and I really cant advise you about your trust funds....its a difficult one for sure...

Do we admire them for sticking to Jehovah the way they believe they should? Or do we, as well as obviously longing for them to break out of there, wish they would act differently? I hate the whole bloody mess...and I feel for you very much....

Loz x

• alanv
    alanv

This is so difficult for you. I have one son who is a winess and one who is not. I am lucky they are both very helpful and loving.

What about being totally honest with and ask what she thinks you should do. Is it right for you to give your hard earned money to someone who apparantly does not care very much for either of you. It may make her think. If she continues to show a disrespectful attitude I know I would not be helping her out very much.

That is me. You obviously have to decide for yourself. It's not easy.

• Emma
    Emma

I would ask myself what the chances are of the money left to this daughter ending up in the hands of the organization.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I think AlanV makes a good suggestion . Email her with your delimma and tell her how her actions are making you feel . Will she be there in the coming yrs when you and your husband are in need of asisstance ?

It is something you will have to live with so be sure what you really want . I have to agree though about your idea of leaving her something , just not as much as your sons, that actually are treating you like a Mother and Fahter should be treated ....with respect .

Be sure to have the lawyer add the clause "Not a penny to anyone that contests your final wishes !"

I am so sorry you have to be in this postion at all .

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

It’s difficult to give advice on such a personal matter so I can only go back to what my father would say.

My father is not a JW and spent many years handling estates and wills as part of his work for the trust company arm of a UK bank. He has seen many families destroyed fighting over estates and it always makes him sad to see families at war.

He says family is family no matter how hard or painful the relationship you don't turn your back on your children no matter how difficult things get. So he would tell you to share your estate equally as it’s not all about the money. The relationship you have with your sons today is a gift that your daughter is missing ultimately she is the one who will suffer and have regret not them.

If you want to reward your sons for their attention do it today share things with them while you are here to see the benefit.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My first two thoughts have already been posted by others, that only the two of you can decide what to do, and you should contact her and see what she wants to do. If she says she wants nothing to do with you, you have your answer (in my mind). My family (my parents, myself, siblings and spouses) have a very good attorney handling such things for us. Both my son and myself are working through addiction issues, our parts of the documents put our share into an administered trust. This means that some needs (education, medical care etc) can be paid at the trustee's descretion, but if he thinks we should pay for it ourselves we can't get anything.

You might talk to your attorney about similar langauge, this could keep her from pioneering or funding the WTBS on your dime.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Little sister, while your advice holds very true for normal families, I don't think it counts for jw families. Bonnie's family is already torn apart by the Watchtower. I seriously doubt that the jw sister will be any more friendly with her non-jw brothers after the demise of the parents whether or not she gets her share of the inheritence.

Bonnie, if I were you, I would cut the daughter out either entirely or substantially as far as monetary inheritence is concerned. What you should leave her is a journal written by you and Clyde about your realizations about the Watchtower and the pain that her shunning has caused.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Bonnie, I don't think it is right to punish your daughter for the way you brought her up. You would behave in the same way if you were still part of the cult. Remember, in her mind, she is shunning you because she wants you to gain everlasting life. The error lies in the policies of the WTS she is simply following what she is told, I pity her as much as I do you.

I wish you the best in your personal decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit