Would You Die

by sammielee24 15 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

For your religion or your country? Just curious.

I know many people that say they wouldn't die for religion but follow practices that might cause their death. Again just curious.sammieswife.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm patriotic but still I would not die for my country. I would not die for religion, either.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

I don't have a religion to die for, so no on that one. I also would not die for my country.

• upnorth
    upnorth

It's beyond stupid to die for a religion, a good example of that is Islam.

I don't see a problem in protecting your country.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

No on both accounts.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Dying for your country isn't as cool as it used to be because it used to entail ACTUALLY dying to protect your OWN HOME and family, friends, neighbors. Now it is usually to protect the interests of the oligarchy and their multinational corporations. No thanks.

I have little doubt that those in this thread who said, "no" to dying for your country would change the answer to a "yes" if it meant ACTUALLY protecting your family from a horrible and tangible enemy. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't join the armed forces of the USA but if the country was invaded and enemy troops were moving in to my neighborhood, I'd be in there with the local militia a la Red Dawn, and being incompetent with firearms, the dying for my country would likely be within the first couple minutes of fighting.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Mad Sweeney,

You speak sense. If this life and time was the Revolutionary War, yes I'd fight and die quickly, no doubt. In the spirit of "The Patriot" I would most definitely fight for my country, because that would mean dying in the attempt of fighting to protect my nearest and dearest. Now a days, wars are fought that don't even touch American soil, so what's the point? I do have a high regard for those in the armed forces, though. They are the most gutsy people I've ever seen. It's just not for me.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I remember how mad everyone was after 9/11. Many people were ready to go to war and go "Jihad on a mother"! I remember my younger brother (he's in his forties) saying that he was ready to go kill some MF'ers! And he's not patriotic at all. He was just mad as hell! So, I guess, I'd have to say yes I'd fight/die in a war or help out some how for my country. It just depends on if I believe in the reason for the war.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I would defend our country - if that is what we were actually doing in a given war. I would not wish to throw myself into harms way just for the sake of it.

I would not die for any religion, as I generally consider it the bane of mankind. I would die for certain people if a bullet came their way and I could catch it rather than them.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In the spirit of the question asked, I would only die to save another person.
    Even my country, I have learned much about. It would use me as a tool and spit me out. No thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit