I miss my Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer 2

by garyneal 35 Replies latest social humour

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

In comparison to today fast computers, to be honest it would be overly annoying

and frustrating to work with those old ones once again. ( remember the waiting and waiting we used to do )

I wish I kept some of those old ones though it would be fun to turn back time 20 years

and to relive the experience when you first touched a computer keyboard.

I gave most of my old computer equipment to my nieces and nephews which I'm quite sure they all got

eventually junked

• garyneal
    garyneal

Well, I still own my TRaSh 80 Co Co, my 486 (which probably no longer works), and my old (rebadged Atari 2600) Sears Video Arcade (original heavy sixer unit).

• donny
    donny

Yeah I miss my ol' Xerox Star. Xerox pioneered the wysiwig coouter and laser jet printer before Apple, Micorsoft or IBM did. I remember back in 1981 how impressed I was with this machine we were manufacturing in Addison, Texas. It was light years ahead of its time, but sadly Xerox did not see that it had any future long term and sold most of the technology to Apple.

http://toastytech.com/guis/star.html

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Ah yes, 1981: I'm a senior in high school, and we nerds hung out at the Computer Club at lunch and after school. I have fond memories of the Trash 80s, BASIC, cassette-tape memory, and our modem looked like this:

I miss text-based adventure role playing games.

Me too. I remember we could play those games with other users (I don't think it was called the Internet back then, but I don't remember) and we had to communicate via line printer.

• marriedtojw
    marriedtojw

here's a question.. how many of you used BBS's back in the days? dial in with DOS, a terminal program, and a 2400 baud modem...eh?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

how many of you used BBS's back in the days? dial in with DOS, a terminal program, and a 2400 baud modem...eh?

Wow I've hadn't heard of that tech lingo for awhile, I played around with that stuff.

My older brother was a early programmer at UBC back in the early 80's,

which lend me to take some interest in computers.

My younger brother now is a professional IT who owns and manages a computer store now,

bits and bytes must run in the family blood I guess.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I got in during the mid 80"s. We repaired minicomputers. Also 8" Eagle drives, T10 & T15 drives. And Terminals. Wyse and Link Mainly. Now here's a shocker. We Updated a 4meg memory board to 16meg. For just $16,000. We were about 30% less than the manufacturer.

• marriedtojw
    marriedtojw

We Updated a 4meg memory board to 16meg. For just $16,000. We were about 30% less than the manufacturer.

I never paid that much but I remember in the early 90's went to the computer show to get a deal on ram at $100/meg .... the SIMMs that you had to have 2 of the same one on a motherboard for it to work... that was also where I picked up my slackware linux cd's and my tucows and other software archive cd's ...sigh better days

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

some say the "good old days" the rest of us know better

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I loved the heck out of my C-64. I spent hours writing programs. It also had better color, better graphics, and better sound than the XT which sat in the other room collecting dust. I've since replaced the C-64 with a C-128 which I still occasionally pull out to play with.

My first computer was a TRS-80 Model I. I've also owned the Commodore Vic20, and the Coleco Adam which was a cool machine, even though it was pretty buggy.

I actually got into the habit of collecting old computers. I've got a bunch of old apple computers, a TI99, and a couple of pocket computers which look like calculators, but are fully programmable in BASIC.

As for BBSes, I ran one and I've been debating putting it back up via telnet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit