I miss my Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer 2

by garyneal 35 Replies latest social humour

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I used Tandy computers in '86 at school typing class. I mainly wrote out Duran Duran lyrics with it.

I remember writing about the Challenger tragedy on it the week it happened.

• Heaven
    Heaven

In high school, we used Commodore PETs (Personal Electronic Transactor).

Commodore PET

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

ZX81 with a staggering 16 KB of ram in the early 80's

Zilog Z80 romping along at 3.25 MHz. The Z80 chips are still being manufactured. I have one in my mp3 player. Nice instruction set compared to the opposition at the the time. I used to write code and debug with pencil and paper, just using a Basic program I wrote to enter the code in Hex. Cool stuff at the time.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL I had a ZX81 too. Did you subscribe to the Syntax newsletter and have fun typing in those BASIC programs??

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I borrowed someone's Sinclair ZX-80 when I was about 14. I finally saved up enough to buy my own TI-99/4A not too long after that. I can't believe how much time I spent on that thing. I don't miss it. Computers today are infinitely more useful.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... not trying to outdo anyone, but I built my first computer from bits and pieces (around 1976 to 1979) - it was a 6800 SwTPC (Southwest Technical Products Company) computer... I had a machine language monitor MikBug, and 4k of static RAM.

I bought a 2k Tiny BASIC program that was on paper tape, that I would load into the computer with a paper tape reader. It would take 5 to 10 minutes, and I would prepare and eat my supper - and then hear the final - kachug kachug kachug of the machine as it finally finished reading the program.

I would then sit and type in BASIC programs and learn about my computer.

In a way, I miss those days... I finally put the ol ASR33 teletype out to the curb - but I still have the 6800 SwTPC computer in storage.

My next computer was a VIC-20 that had 5k RAM and an 8K BASIC built-in - with a cassette for program storage. I was really in heaven with that computer.

I think that is why I like playing with and writing programs for the BS-2 (Basic Stamp 2) computer on a chip. It reminds me of my first computer.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Ahhhh yes. Sometimes I remember my Commodore 64.

Good Times.

A typical Commodore 64 system

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Its true there was a certain personal attraction to those old and early computers.

Maybe because they were more involving from the users end that created its own interest,

it was Star Trek and you were the commander of the ship.

Back then it was just a hobby for a few people, today though its a living necessity that would be a real bitch to live without it.

My first professional computer was a IBM PS/2 which I think I paid $ 3,500.00 back in 1989 or so......sheesh

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

This was my first, I bought it used, I think it was 1988.

Having 2 disk drives rocked!

The first time i bought quicken software was for this computer.

Still remember how long it took to scroll down to the next page..............................................................

I loved it.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Baby Boomers like to buy vintage cars.

When we get to that age, we'll be buying vintage computers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit