Jw's must be having a hay-day!

by AK - Jeff 30 Replies latest jw friends

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

They are...my mom is loving it. She's trying to use it to get my non-JW dad to attend meetings...its not working. They are really getting excited about all the natural disasters.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

http://gloomyvegan.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpghttp://agyapw.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/chicken_little.jpg

............................ ...OUTLAW

• Quandry
    Quandry

There is a surprisingly large portion of humanity 'just waiting' for something to signal that all the doomsayers have been right all along. Look at the interest that 2012 has generated, even among the educated. So many just want to believe that there must be something to it.

I lived through the 1975 "hype" and then the Y2K fear at the turn of the century. We don't have long to go until Jan.1, 2013. Then what will the next scare be?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Someone needs to photoshop a "bookbag" into Chicken Little's left hand and a Watchtower into his right.

• I quit!
    I quit!

It wasn't that long ago that most of mankind thought that the earth was a stable object and that everything else moved around it. In a way I think groups like that Witnesses are trying to hold on to as much of that belief as they can. They don't seem to want to believe the earth is really not a very stable place to live on. It is constantly moving and changing shape and has been doing this since the begining. I have an earthquake app I down loaded on my Droid. I had set to go off whenever there was an earthquake anywhere. It was constantly going off. I had change the the radius and magnatude so it wasn't constantly going off. Untill recently we didn't have the technology to understand that this is what is going on.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Yes, Jeff, they are, or at least my husband is, every day, nearly every minute. That was until I told him that I didn't care if the end was tomorrow, I still wouldn't go back to being a jehovah's witness.

• blondie
    blondie

(Matthew 24:43-44) 43"But know one thing, that if the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.

(Mark 13:35-37) 35 Therefore keep on the watch, for YOU do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether late in the day or at midnight or at cockcrowing or early in the morning; 36 in order that when he arrives suddenly, he does not find YOU sleeping. 37 But what I say to YOU I say to all, Keep on the watch."

(Luke 12:38-40) . . .! 39 But know this, that if the householder had known at what hour the thief would come, he would have kept watching and not have let his house be broken into. 40 YOU also, keep ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think likely the Son of man is coming."

I always show jws those scriptures so they know if they can pinpoint the "hour" they have chosen the wrong time.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

My husband brought this up in response to my reading him a report from the NY Times about how maternal deaths have dramatically declined in the last 30 years due to better nutrition, more education for women, more health care providers, etc. (My rationale: If wars, famine, pestilence, etc. are worse now than ever before, how come the rate of women dying in childbirth or from related causes has declined in half, even as the total population has nearly doubled?). Check it out here.

He pointed out how there have been all these earthquakes in the last few months. "But wait," I said. "If Jesus' prophecy about the last days is true and the last days started in 1914, then we should see heightened earthquake activity consistently since that time, not just popping up 95 years later. So even if the last few months are an anomaly (and there's no evidence that they are), it still wouldn't fulfill the prophecy." Smart, huh?

IMHO, the prolonging of the "time of the end" to nearly a century is creating a huge problem for sustaining the idea that "times are worse now than ever before" simply because the impact of the traditional "proofs" like the Spanish Flu, WWI and WWII are becoming increasing diluted as they retreat into the past. Witnesses like to point to environmental devestation as proof, which is a growth problem, but the bald fact is that Jesus said nada about that and the only scrip they can use is Rev. 11:18 which only tangentally can be made to refer to it, and, in fact, if you have them follow the marginal reference, actually refers to ruining the earth with violence.

• dgp
    dgp

I believe that, for many people, earthquakes are less of a "proof" of our being in the final times than 2012, the movie, is.

That said, there's what I would call payback here. Yep, they can claim the end is near because of all the earthquakes, but they will have a lot of explaining to do when it doesn't come.

• peaches
    peaches

this is one (of many) reasons why i left....how can a person visit with their elderly neighbor,,,,or walk through the cancer ward of a childrens hospital,,,,or feel deep pity for the young man that died from swine flu....etc etc....only to feel that we should be happy because it is one less person for god to kill....

all the older people with mental disabilities,,,,,their parents dead,,,,so if armagedon comes,,,,these people do not stand a chance...people will welcome back their parents,,,,only to say,,,SORRY,,,,your son or daughter did not make it,,,because they were not witnesses...ect etc...

to wake up every day,,,,and hope people die,,,,before armagedon,,,,so they have a chance of life...i do not know how they do it,,,,and not suffer from severe depression....and i mean SEVERE...

there is not a whole lot of difference to hoping people die or killing them,,,themselves....TRADGIC....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit