Handling the negative emotions after leaving - suggestions please

by cult classic 21 Replies latest jw friends

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hi everybody,

Since leaving a few years ago, I have experienced the gamut of emotions, both good and bad. One that seems particularly difficult to manage is the shame and embarrassment I feel for having taking it seriously all my life. Why wasn't I thinking? How come I didn't wake up sooner? How do you handle the burden of regret as well?

Mind you this is not something I struggle with everyday but it is there under the surface. And when it boils to the top I find it hard to shake the feelings.

Can anyone relate? If so, how do you handle the downside of having come to your senses?

Cult Classic

• JWoods
    JWoods

It has been really over 30 years since I left, but -

There soon enough comes a day when you don't even think about them. Later, pretty soon after, there comes at least a week.

Within a few years, the emotion part of it is gone...you don't feel ashamed of yourself for being in it, you don't really hate them - just the false teachings, which of course were the work of a very small handful of selfish people at the top.

It pretty much just levels out with time.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I posted this a while back http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/53831/1/Using-your-anger-to-make-positive-changes Because we live in a society that does not deal well withit, our anger may be our most misunderstood emotion. But it can actually be the key to greater self understanding. When handled responsibly, anger can actually be a friend. Conversely, when repressed or uncontrolled, anger can be damaging and destructive. So whenever you are angry, think of the experience as a good friend encouraging you to look at a deep truth.

Using your anger to make positive changes in your life I was so mad I just exploded in rage. How many times have you heard someone say, "That wasn't very mature of you," after you have lost your temper. A lot of people think that getting angry is a sign of loss of control, weakness. And sometimes it is. But that doesn’t mean that expressing anger is not healthy. How we express our anger can be helpful or harmful to us and others. Most people try to be good natured. Few people believe that acting out their unbridled anger is a good thing. It is natural for people to get angry.

Finding healthy ways to express our anger can be difficult. But the truth is that we cannot deal with our anger without experiencing it and expressing it first. And we cannot deal with our anger until we acknowledge that it is there and have valid reasons for it.

The book, A Course in Miracles, states that "all anger is an attempt to make someone feel guilty" really hits home with some people. However, some people think that the teachings about anger in the Course mean that anger is "bad." Some people believe that the best way to deal with anger is to put it out of your mind and just "think good thoughts." But that is not dealing with anger, because it stays somewhere deep inside of you until you do deal with it.

Anger is, in fact, a heathy reaction to some situations. One person told me that anger is a blanket that covers our pain. It prevents us from feeling how much we have been hurt.

Anger is a valuable emotional response - as valuable as happiness or grief. It may not be pleasant, but it is essential. How often has anger moved you to make needed changes in your life or helped you to confront someone or something?

Anger may seem bad, but it can be an opening to peace and calm. When the body gets injured it feels pain. The pain is a warning that part of the body needs attention. In the same way, anger can draw attention to problems that need attention. If you don't find a healthy way to express the anger, it can turn inward, making you physically sick or cause you to lash out and do something you might regret later.

We live in a society that does not understand anger, and certainly does not know how to process it. Think about that for a moment. Do we teach our children how to express their anger in a healthy way? Or do we teach them to stuff their anger rather to experience it find ways to use it to help them change things?

We know that one of the best ways to relate to one another is through our feelings. We tend to find sadness a more acceptable feeling than anger. People in sorrow may not be able to explain themselves, but when someone is sad and crying, we know how they feel even if we don't know what it is about. We empathize and meet on that common ground of feeling. When I was a child, I learned that showing my emotions was bad especially my anger. Anger can be frightening. Letting someone express their anger can be very scary.

Responsible ways to express anger

Were you ever taught how to express your anger or when it might be appropriate and how? Taking responsibility for your anger allows you to control it instead of it controlling you. Taking responsibility for your anger begins with honesty with yourself. That means taking a moment to think, "I'm angry about..." The responsible expression of anger is healthy. Everyone has issues that can be triggered and there will always be people to trigger us. In fact, some people who, "make us angry" can provide us with opportunities to heal old issues. If you never find healthy ways to get angry, you might not get to the next step in healing recurring issues and removing blocks to your happiness.

The secret to constructive anger lies in the ability to respond rather than react to anger-producing circumstances. Here are some tips for dealing responsibly with anger:

1. Acknowledge that something has happened that makes you angry. There is no shame in anger.
    2. Take responsibility for it! You don't need to lash out on another person. He or she may have be the trigger, but is not the source of your anger.
    3. Express it! Remember you have a right to be angry, so get it out. The more you do, the less it builds into rage. Let it out. You may want to write about it first to help you identify exactly what you are angry about.
    4. Make a statement about your anger. Feelings of hurt, frustration, or fear may be underneath the anger. If you let it out, you'll get to its roots.
    5. Trust your feelings! The anger is there for a reason. If it overwhelms you, then ask for help. You could ask God to come into the situation to lead me through it to peace. Or ask a friend to listen while you talk about why you are angry and ask for feedback.
    6. Respect it! Anger is a powerful emotion that deserves your respect and attention. Some people do not make changes in their lives because they ignore their anger and what it is trying to tell them. When it comes to society, anger can motivate people to protest an injustice and bring about change. Anger is passionate and usually carries important messages. Listening to it is wise.
    7. Profit from it! There is a lot to be gained from paying attention to your angry feelings. You can actually learn to appreciate your anger. After you have expressed your anger clearly and honestly examine how you did and what you felt. Learn what your anger triggers are and that you are capable of dealing with anger constructively. Experience it first -- analyze and profit from it later!

Anger is rooted in fear, revenge, pride -- all of these things. Anger is the blanket that hides what lies beneath. When you accept your anger rather than repressing it, you take back the power you lost when you suppressed that anger. When you deal responsibly with your anger you learn to control it, instead of it controlling you. You can now use this power to resolve long-standing issues and to promote your own healing.

• dgp
    dgp

Marked.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I think everyone on this board can relate to your post..

Things we could have done better..

Different decisions we could have made..

Theres not a dam thing you can do,except learn from it..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Great post Lady Lee. Very helpful to me.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't have a great answer like Lady Lee's response. But many (if not all) of us go through things like you describe.
    We may be angry at ourselves for not seeing through the nonsense, the circular logic, the changes.
    We may be angry with WTS in general or some are angry with the elders, the C.O., individuals for something they said or did.
    Some are angry with friends or family that dump them when they leave WTS.

My personal situation was that I had issues from before I joined WTS that went unaddressed for close to 20 years because "the end was so near." I was angry with WTS for pulling the wool over my eyes and I felt duped in that I didn't know their entire history and I was convinced to avoid outside information critical of them which kept me from learning about the United Nations or understanding the pedophile issue. I was further upset with myself for being a WTS stooge- going up on the platform week after week as an elder and promoting their ways.

It was overwhelming. I had to go to a counselor. I have made great strides in realizing things in my life. I do know that not everyone can or will go to counseling. All I can say is that they need to follow a self-guidance path that could include reading books about cults, WTS, depression, anger, getting over a traumatic experience, whatever path they feel is best. They need friends and outlets for their feelings. They need activities of some kind- for many, exercise or sports is a must to use their energy, others do things around the house or garden or help others.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I wish I had some great suggestions....there is no magic wand to wave the past away. I spent over thirty years in the org.'s grip--right through the best years of my life. Now I am 58. I am in college....one class at a time. If I can, I will graduate before I have to go into a nursing home!

I try to push the negative thoughts back, because I do not want them to have any more of my life. I have had success forcing myself to keep busy and positive.

I try to find something to enjoy every day. I love springtime, and spend time examining the wildflowers that are around at this time.

Find something worthwhile to do and determine to enjoy your day!

Never give up!!!

• cult classic
    cult classic

Thank you guys for responding........you're the best. I am soaking this all in and will use every bit of it. It all makes sense.

I've recently begun seeing a therapist, I'm not sure if she totally gets what I'm saying so it's really good hearing from those who are in front of me on this long winding road........

Cult Classic

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I'm not sure if she totally gets what I'm saying

I hear you here. It's not all that important that a therapist gets it exactly.
    My therapist acknowledges the way I feel about it whether she gets it or not.
    I don't think that too many people can quite relate except others from similar situations. Same with addicts, alcoholics, depressed and bipolar people and all. But many therapists do their best with those types and have much experience with addicts, alcoholics, depressed and bipolar people. Their psychology lessons and books focus on those people. Not too many focus on cults. It's not quite like going through a divorce or a death of a loved one. I think therapists apply the divorce/death stuff and hope to figure it out along the way.

As long as they acknowledge that your feelings are valid, it can work out. If you don't feel it's working out, many change therapists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit