Warnings About 3D Televisions

by sammielee24 14 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Samsung's new 3-D TVs come with health warning: Don't watch if you're pregnant, sleep-deprived

BY MICHAEL PANTELIDIS AND OREN YANIV
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Wednesday, April 14th 2010, 4:00 AM

Pregnant? Elderly? Avoid using Samsung's new 3-D television, the company Web site warns. Wargo/Getty Pregnant? Elderly? Avoid using Samsung's new 3-D television, the company Web site warns.

Watch these cutting-edge TVs at your own peril.

Samsung's new and much-hyped 3-D televisions now come with a health warning that rivals a typical pharmaceutical ad.

Pregnant women, the elderly, people under the influence of alcohol, those with serious medical conditions and the sleep-deprived "should avoid utilizing the unit's 3-D functionality," the company says on its Web site.

Children and teenagers "should be closely supervised when viewing these images" because they're more likely to experience side effects, the warning added.

At worst, viewing the lifelike pictures can cause epileptic seizure or stroke, the company said. It also listed milder symptoms, including dizziness, nausea and disorientation.

The innovative gizmo - which Samsung dubbed "the future of television" - hit the shelves last month.

Panasonic, which also markets the new TVs, does not carry a similar warning on its Web site.

Some shoppers at a Best Buy on the upper West Side - where the new Samsung screens are being sold but no warning is posted - were put off by the potential health risks.

"If I can't have a couple of beers and watch TV, that eliminates the whole purpose," said James Robinson, 50.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2010/04/14/2010-04-14_dont_do_the_3d_if_youre_pregnant_alcoholic_old_or_an_insomniac_study.html#ixzz0l6QJY7YX

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Everything fun carries a risk.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I heard on the radio that youngsters who have a family history of epilepsy or strokes should avoid watching 3D television because it could heighten their risk of seizures and strokes.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

heard it makes watching dirty movies even more fun...

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Then they should be banned.

Judge Dread

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They're just covering their ass in a sue-happy society.

There's just no more personal responsibility.

I'm amazed food producers and restaurants haven't started putting warning labels on the food about the choking hazards and risk of death from eating.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I don't think we'd ever buy one. My husband can't see 3D movies or pictures. He can see but his eyesight is too damaged from childhood accidents.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Can't think of anything more nauseating than a 3D television in my house. Why don't I just paint the house in red and blue stripes while I'm at it?

• Cinnamon (TOO)
    Cinnamon (TOO)

Makes sense. I could see 3-d movies messing with my mind after a few glasses of wine but I would probably enjoy it. I will have to test that out at my folks house when they buy the 3-d glasses.

I can only imagine what it would do to someone who injested halucinogens.

@rockmehardplace: that depends on the genre. GILF's in 3-d might give me nightmares. lol

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

@ cinnamon all i keep thinking now is the quote "careful kid, you could put your eye out with that"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit