Embarrassed because I had never heard an expression before

by Lady Lee 101 Replies latest members adult

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

fokyc

Perhaps LadyLee could/would explain some of them?

They seem pretty straightforward to me

Wow Poppers I diodn't know that

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    One time I set a coffee and muffin down in a room full of construction workers and as I left to get my equipment I said, "Nobody eat my muffin.

I remember the line "You ain't seen nothing 'til you're down on a muffin", from an Aerosmith song. I'd heard it a hundred times before, but never understood what it meant until recently.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Is shit a dirty/obscene word?

It's my understanding that this word comes from the days when manure was stored in the holds of English ships and transported to the new world. It posed a hazard when it got wet because of the methane it produced and it would cause explosions when lanterns were lit. So to prevent that possibility the crates were stamped S H I T - meaning, ship high in transit to keep it dry.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/shit.asp according to Snopes, that's incorrect.

shit comes from the English word scite, and German word schite, both meaning dung, and the Old English word scitte meaning diarreah.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Isn't that German word supposed to be spelled "scheiss?" Must look it up. It's been a long time since high school German class.

Yes, it is "scheiB" or "scheiss."

• Quentin
    Quentin

My wife, who was never a jw, didn't get the point of "What's big and gray and comes in quarts?, An elephant"...We joked about it for YEARS. One day she got it, laughed and said "never mention it again"....I don't......very often...

There's always a joke, or saying we don't get, for one reason, or another. Ask a Brit what a "knee tumbler" is....may get a blank stare, may not mean, today, what it meant thirty years ago...by the way, the gril who told me was an English jw.....

• poppers
    poppers

In reference to Ship High in Transit: "according to Snopes, that's incorrect."

Maybe not according to Snopes. When my nephew was studying for his Masters Degree in history he found a reference to it in one of his history books. That's where I got the story from.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

It's my understanding that this word comes from the days when manure was stored in the holds of English ships and transported to the new world. It posed a hazard when it got wet because of the methane it produced and it would cause explosions when lanterns were lit. So to prevent that possibility the crates were stamped S H I T - meaning, ship high in transit to keep it dry.

They shipped shit to the new world?

In crates?

And the crates are labeled, so apparently they are bulit specifically for shit.

• Violia
    Violia

While these words are slang and not techically cursing, still it is funny to hear them from the speaker at the KH, ie, screwed up, darn, OMG, blow /blew off. Now I have used the last one and did not realize until recently what it referred to. OMG. Of course being raised a jws we were told that slang is as bad as cursing and it is in most professional settings. Oh, one that I never understood, Jesus H. Christ. what does the H stand for?

I still crack up over the fuc*king cow thing. Visualization , ugh.

I almost forgot the shite ( she-ite) people I once heard a bro say the " shi*tie people" LOL

• restrangled
    restrangled

I worked in an office where one of guys talked being in a "Circle Jerk" when he was younger.....I had to ask what it was. He wouldn't tell me. I had to ask my husband and he was furious any one in a business office would bring up something like this.

All I could picture was a bunch of Jerks being in a circle. My opinion didn't change after I found out the meaning.

r.

• Violia
    Violia

I just realized I spelled out the word and then added an * . sorry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit