Would miracles cure atheism?

by hamilcarr 53 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

BTS: For some, if they can't submit an event or experience to repeatable, verifiable, experimentation, then the answer is not even then. Or, they would create a naturalistic explanation. If it is an event witnessed by many people, they will invoke some form of mass hallucination to explain it. In other words, anything can be explained away, if you don't want to believe it. When all you grok is the hammer of naturalism, every supernatural event looks like a nail. If God can't be put under a microscope, or prodded like a specimen, then he does not exist. For those that believe, no miracles are needed. For those that don't, no miracle will suffice.

Oh come on for christ sake! The Big Bang, all major events in evolution and yesterday is not someone a person you describe would believe in! are you really, really sure that kind of belief system applies to anyone but the clinically insane?

And mass hallucination my ass. If a 10m^3 block of solid diamond with the bible written on it appeared on times square tomorrow THAT would be a miracle that would turn me into a believer overnight because God would be the most natural explanation - sure, aliens could have done it, but that seem darn far fetched.

And atheists does not suffer from some disease they can be 'cured' from, its an extremely arrogant attitude. I invite any biblical litteralists to start a thread about the scientific case for the flood and see whos belief system is most founded on evidence ;-)

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Magic is another word for technology you don't understand.

• poppers
    poppers

Great story, Terry. People so want to believe so they see what they want to see even if it's not there.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Oh, I can't speak for everyone, but if I could get my arthritis miraculously cured, I'd believe in the tooth easter fairy bunny at the moment. *G*

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

It's time to pray for a miracle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A0-u85aAYg

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

The 'cure' for the sexually transmitted gay disease that i suffer from known as 'aidstheism' cannot be cured by miracles, because even the best miracles can still be hoaxes. Ultimately the only way i'd ever believe in God would be if i were to meet Him. Until then, i don't see any reason to assume He exists.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

No need to fear atheism. I like this guy, Sam Harris he's doing it right. I always say the reason I don't embrace atheism is that I've never been that certain about anything, it's just not in my own nature to be terribly decisive in a philosophical way. I always tend to see both sides of most things.

But watch it, you'll want to go hug an atheist. *G*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLIKAyzeIw4

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

But how could you remain an atheist when you see someone being raised from the dead?

The same way many of those that saw it still did not believe.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Ultimately the only way i'd ever believe in God would be if i were to meet Him. Until then, i don't see any reason to assume He exists.

Honestly, that is truly the best way to view it.

Of course we do have to be open to what we are seeing, but still, I think that for the vast majority of "converts" from atheism, this has been the case, they have found God and they did it by meeting God.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I think that for the vast majority of "converts" from atheism, this has been the case, they have found God and they did it by meeting God.

Of course unlike most, if not all such people, i would go & get my head examined after, just to be on the safe side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit