Since Leaving "The Truth" Are You Really Happier?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

The only thing that made me happy when I WAS a JW were my children. And when I ditched the Borg they were 1-1/2, 8 and 6. So then I had the happiness of having my beautiful children AND TOTAL FREEDOM!!! No more nosy sisters checking out my house when they "stopped by out in service" and no more nasty comments about why I WASNT OUT IN SERVICE TOO. No more hypocrites smiling to my face and backstabbing me when I left the room. NO more gossippy nasty women and self righteous demigod window washing elders judging me and my life.

There was no happiness in the borg. NONE.

• Life is now
    Life is now

I'm not completely out yet, but just having the freedom to choose for myself such things as loving unconditionally is bringing me many blessings.

Having overcome tremendous obstacles I am no longer fearful of any challenges and being relieved of all that fear and judgment is leaving me free to enjoy the beautiful things in life.

I thought I was happy before but now I am truly happy. This for me is the real life.

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I am more content with myself. I don't feel stressed, guilty about service and attending meetings. I have accepted that I needed to leave and am still figuring out a lot of things. But I feel like I have released a weight that was pushing on me from all sides. I struggled with leaving for over 10 years, and in the last 2 have been made it a commitment to get out. I am much happier, but somewhat in limbo. Friends of mine that have know me for years say that I seem much more relaxed. I feel that way too.

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Much happier now that I have the truth. :-)

It is so nice to feel free to love others. It makes life much more enjoyable.

• cab1000
    cab1000

It is bittersweet. Like so many others, we have lost most of our family members, and that hurts. We will always have our ups and downs, that's life. Overall, we are happier. I think that if we exjw's were unhappy because of leaving, we would simply return to the borg. The fact that most of us do not is a good sign that we as a group are happier out.

The witnesses actually want us to be unhappy. That is the whole point of shunning. By shunning us, we feel the pain of the loss. If we want to stop the pain, it's easy, just return to the borg. The borg tricks the family into thinking that by shunning the person who left, they are showing love to them. Our family really loves us!!!

• JRK
    JRK

Without a doubt! I would have died a long time ago if I tried to stay in. It was killing me.

JK

• Phee
    Phee

"Happier"....Hrmmm...

Well, Looking at my life while I was "in" is a nightmare in it's self. What I HATE about my life NOW, is that I feel like a foreiner in a new country. I'm learning everything brand new. Although, it has it's advantages, I feel that my perspective on things is very different than most people I come in contact with. Because what most people have taken for granted (education, work, family, etc..) I am just now learning how to deal with.

Being a JW doesn't exactly teach you how to deal with real life, so I am self taught. It's a hard road to travel down, so I could see how this trial and error period definitely puts people in a perculiar situation and (IMO) people tend to be happiest when they are in their comfort zone. But once you change that comfort zone, things tend to get easier and happier.

I'm saying this from a naive perspective. I am very naive and I feel that is because of my up-bringing. They (JW's, IMO) only teach you how 'bad and terrible' things are out here...and when I got out, I was so paranoid, waiting for the other shoe to drop so-to-speak... I feel I put myself in situations that MADE life worse because it's what I expected to happen. When I got older and stopped being so foolish about it and calmed down, life was smooth and easy.

I was VERY young when I left. I'm growing up (nearly 30 now! lol) still. But I now have the freedom to love life and see how absolutely ridiculous the things they say are! I listen to my Mother drone on about it and I can't believe that any adult could actually believe this way.

So, to the point here...yes, NOW I'm happier. MUCH, even. Just took me a long time to get there.

-Phee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit