New Book "Awakening of a JW: Escape from WT

by ZazuWitts 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

A few months ago, someone on this forum mentioned the upcoming publication of this book. I've since been checking the Prometheus catalog, and learned it is now available.

The description of it sounds quite intriguing.

Take a look at it:

http://www.prometheusbooks.com

You will have to click on 'new releases' and scroll down just a bit.

Sorry, I couldn't seem to get a direct link to the actual page - maybe someone can post one...thanks.

Also, Amazon has an excerpt from the book, as well as Chapter topics. Author is Diane Wilson and full Title: "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness: Escape from Watchtower Society."

• LB
    LB

Can't grab a link but I cut and pasted this, sounds like a book I may want to read...

Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness

This tale of mind control, the use of fear to manipulate vulnerable people, and final escape from a suffocating cult environment is a revealing exposé of a secretive contemporary sect, as well as a true psychological thriller. Diane Wilson spent twenty-five precious years of her life, first becoming indoctrinated by the dogma of the Watchtower Society, and then struggling to free herself from its pervasive, intimidating clutches. In this probing, brutally honest assessment, Wilson describes how a childhood of psychological abuse and lack of self-confidence rendered her vulnerable to the seductive doctrines of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Yet as time went on and the society demanded rigid control over every aspect of her life, even her every thought, Wilson began to rebel. Her gradual awakening, at first unconsciously through physical and psychological ailments, and then consciously as a caring therapist helped her rediscover her true self, is a fascinating story.

What she reveals about the goings-on within the closed Watchtower Society will shock the average person who assumes the polite, well-dressed people who pass out leaflets are much like any other conservative religious group. Wilson contends that membership in the Jehovah's Witnesses requires obedience bordering on psychological enslavement and complete suppression of individuality. Her engrossing memoir will be of great interest to former Witnesses, students of cult phenomena, and anyone who has ever had contact with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Diane Wilson (Morgan Hill, CA) now works as a professional Sign Language

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    Her engrossing memoir will be of great interest to 1) former Witnesses, 2) students of cult phenomena, and 3) anyone who has ever had contact with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Notably, it isn't said that her "memoir" would be of any interest to the millions who are in fact Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course we all know why, don't we. It's because, for one thing, no JW would agree with her assessment regarding "psychological enslavement". In reality Diane has in fact become enslaved ... to selfishness, demanding that she be left alone to live her life outside the will of her Creator. Well, she's getting her wish. The day will come though that she will be brought face to face with the same issue all over again. The reason, God's not going to allow anyone to live forever in the universe of his making that's not willing to submit to his will. Afterall, the eternal peace of the cosmos depends on EVERYONE living being willing to abide by God's laws.

Of course just as Ray Franz did, Diane Wilson is bound to make a mint off those who, like her, 'rebelled'. A whopping $28 BUCKS!!! Wow!

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Yardirt,

Why don't you write a book 'praising' the Watchtower Society. OH, my, that's not possible is it, the Society wouldn't approve of your efforts...even if your intent was to praise them. Ah, well, just you'll just have to be content to hang around us ol' apostates.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yadirf spoke thus:

In reality Diane has in fact become enslaved ... to selfishness, demanding that she be left alone to live her life outside the will of her Creator.
    Only DubThunk could interpret freedom as a kind of slavery.

Keep on serving the Jehovah sock puppet operated by the dried fruits in Brooklyn. They're preparing a place for you in Paradise right now.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks Zazu ... I feel a visit to Amazon coming on ...

• Flip
    Flip

I appreciate your taking the time to post the cover, Fryday.

Flip

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Thanks ZazuWitts,

I read several similar books whilst in the process of detox but they had a heavy christian bent :( Thanks for posting.

===

Yadfluff,

Ray Franz book is priceless. When we were witnesses we would have crossed heaven and hell to get accurate knowledge like that. As it happens a big bad apostate american sent me "Crisis of Conscience" free of charge! (the 'f guy' has shallow pockets and a gruff nature but a big heart)

I join with flip in thanking you for posting the cover (a picture tells a thousand words and all that) For a non JW you sure talk funny ;)

• califrv
    califrv

This message is to Yadirf. First of all, it suprises me that a witness in good standing would be entertaining information on a site like this. Second of all, you offer criticizm of a book that you have never read, and of a person whom you have never met. I personally know Diane, and know what she says to be true. I also know that she is not a spiteful person, and I know what her intentions were in writing this book. I have been involved with witnesses for over 30 years, so I do come from personal experience and knowledge of what goes on in the congregations.

• Budda Belly
    Budda Belly

Yadirf is not Jehovah's faithful Witness!!

He is an apostate in a grand way.
    I hope one day to be just like him.

Yardi, who thinks he understands the book of Daniel
    ahead of Jehovah's Faithful Slave Class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit