I wish I could just not give a Sh!t about being an XJW!

by cyberjesus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It is possible, but of course everyone is different and maybe because of that one persons experience is not going to be perceived as relevant - but then again if people never try they'll never know. What I can tell you is I've tried psychology, meditation, qigong and even mind tech including frequency specific mild cranial electro-stim (The BT-6 Brain Tuner has a very nice immediate effect btw, it's a consumer device) and other things, and who knows what specifically did what in the process but I do know I didn't think about JW stuff for years before I started checking stuff out again recently. I suppose a cynic may think the reason for coming back is I have more to process, but I'm simply interested in collective social dynamics now rather than the individual level.

Whatever you do, just be sure you research it. There are different types of therapy, and of course different meds, and if you want to do something like meditation or qigong there are different forms of that too, which does not require any religious belief - someone who knows what they're doing will be able to explain it in terms of the principles involved, even if you do need to be patient and practice to get a sense yourself. (and traditional teachers are not going to be inclined to get into the whole system to start with because there are foundational stuff to do first)

Mind tech is interesting, what I've noticed is people are obsessed with the content rather than the state of mind, and since even something as simple as a binaural beat CD can alter your mental state it covers an area that you will not be able to touch directly with most other things, even with qigong and meditation it takes some times to develop the ability to shift your mental state, (but then you'd be able to do it yourself rather than rely on external tech) although there is biofeedback too. Another way of looking at it is with enough state changes there is actually a change in your consciousness structure, which is NOT going to happen directly by just reading a lot of stuff, although it can if you're contemplative enough.

Unfortunately you're going to be hard pressed to find a professional that is familiar with all that so it does involve self experimentation, you'd need to monitor yourself and interaction with meds is a concern since some of this can stimulate certain endogenous chemicals. Unfortunately I never did meds so I can't tell you the kind of stuff you might need to be aware of, but there should be enough resources out there to get some helpful info if you're interested.

And meditation is about as simple as it gets, most people are not going to think it does anything so they'd probably never take the time, but it reminds me of that Blaise Pascal quote: "All mens miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone ."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit